Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

I know someone wrote a Chiyo Obata biography a few years back, but if that doesn't have anything on that period (she debuted in the mid-fifties iirc) then I've got nothing. I've been running searches on all the names of the (for lack of a better term) "dark age" joshi feds but the fields are pretty barren. Sorry to not be of more help.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, KinchStalker said:

I know someone wrote a Chiyo Obata biography a few years back, but if that doesn't have anything on that period (she debuted in the mid-fifties iirc) then I've got nothing. I've been running searches on all the names of the (for lack of a better term) "dark age" joshi feds but the fields are pretty barren. Sorry to not be of more help.

If you're talking about the Japanese Obata biography then I already have that one, bought it when it published. It's the fault of the popular opinion of the time that joshi wrestling was related to stripping and that no honest person would go to those shows, not helped that strip clubs were some of the few places that wouldn't balk at hosting joshi promotions even up into the mid 1950s. A few dedicated wrestling magazines covered women's wrestling sporadically during the 1950s but mainstream papers that were participating in discourse about women's new roles in workplaces and morality in post-war Japan liked to bring up women's wrestling as a weird "gotcha" for if young women are left without proper guidance they could end up performing in clubs for male audiences. 

2 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

I went to a convention yesterday and got to meet Magnum TA, Jimmy Hart, Charles Wright, Koko B. Ware, Gunn Club, Bobby Fulton, Angelina Love, Lex Luger, Rhino, Gail Kim and Bobby Blaze. Malakai Black and ODB were also there but I did not have the cash on me for them. It was a lot of fun. 

This story about Black went viral. 

This could pertain to so many different things but yeah, for the most part, I almost always agreed with Bret. At least as it pertained to pro-wrestling opinions.

I feel the biggest back-and-forth would be over Ric Flair but I even feel like that after the Plane Ride from Hell Dark Side of the Ring episode might have a few people even potentially having their opinions swayed. 

1 hour ago, Coffey said:

This could pertain to so many different things but yeah, for the most part, I almost always agreed with Bret. At least as it pertained to pro-wrestling opinions.

I feel the biggest back-and-forth would be over Ric Flair but I even feel like that after the Plane Ride from Hell Dark Side of the Ring episode might have a few people even potentially having their opinions swayed. 

I would assume, given the context of coming right after releases and word coming out how utterly clueless the company was about how to book them, that it would be in regards to his opinions on Vince. 

I read old wrestling mags in the Thinking Room, and came across this curiosity in FSM: "The Ballad of Rikidozan...In an episode of The Roth Show, Van Halen front-man David Lee Roth tells the story of Rikidozan."

Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J54Eoh6bxTU.

Here's the question: Is David Lee Roth a noted wrestling historian or fan? Wonder if he posts at WrestlingClassics...

Also, regarding a conversation here a few months back, I found a tweet from the then Giant Bernard saying "CMLL rings are the hardest I've ever worked in".

8 minutes ago, Dav'oh said:

Here's the question: Is David Lee Roth a noted wrestling historian or fan? Wonder if he posts at WrestlingClassics...

That would be the quickest way to get him to become an ex-fan.

That place hasn't been the same since Mark Nulty died. 

Now even the mods there seem like obnoxious gimmick posters, and so many of the thread come across as bad inside jokes.

Also, fucking update your forum software past 1999. I realize it's a "classics" board and some may like the ancient aesthetic, but not when it becomes a security hazard (they got hacked about a year ago, which really shouldn't ever happen to a small wrestling forum, because why would anyone care?)

1 hour ago, Dav'oh said:

I read old wrestling mags in the Thinking Room, and came across this curiosity in FSM: "The Ballad of Rikidozan...In an episode of The Roth Show, Van Halen front-man David Lee Roth tells the story of Rikidozan."

Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J54Eoh6bxTU.

Also, regarding a conversation here a few months back, I found a tweet from the then Giant Bernard saying "CMLL rings are the hardest I've ever worked in".

Roth's enough of a fan to make that, I guess. If people haven't seen it, they should check it out. I saw it years ago and I remember really enjoying it.

3 minutes ago, Sean Reedy said:

Its crazy to me that anybody under 25 must think of Paul Heyman as being the WWE's 2010s version of 80s Bobby Heenan. And now it looks like the guy is going to have a seven month Mania main event program built around him.

I mean.... he *is*. Great talker, his guys are always challenging the champ, the only difference is Heyman's guys usually win the title. The only difference is Heyman doesn't take the bumps Bobby would. 

Heenan in the WWF managed a revolving door of heel challengers to the dynastic babyface champion. Heyman manages long-term heel champions, which is a completely different dynamic. He's a lot closer to AWA Heenan. Going back to the question I posed in the Crown Jewel thread over who should be considered the greatest manager of all time in kayfabe, I wonder how close the cumulative world title reign length of Heyman's clients is to the time Bockwinkel spent as AWA champion while managed by Heenan.

2 hours ago, Sean Reedy said:

Its crazy to me that anybody under 25 must think of Paul Heyman as being the WWE's 2010s version of 80s Bobby Heenan. And now it looks like the guy is going to have a seven month Mania main event program built around him.

It makes that whole Cesaro/Curtis Axel/Ryback “era” all the more confounding.

True you could liken it to the era where he broke off Lesnar in favor of The Big Show, and never really did much until becoming the Smackdown GM, but still it is a glaring misstep in a stellar run as an on screen character.

6 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

Heenan in the WWF managed a revolving door of heel challengers to the dynastic babyface champion. Heyman manages long-term heel champions, which is a completely different dynamic. He's a lot closer to AWA Heenan. Going back to the question I posed in the Crown Jewel thread over who should be considered the greatest manager of all time in kayfabe, I wonder how close the cumulative world title reign length of Heyman's clients is to the time Bockwinkel spent as AWA champion while managed by Heenan.

Great comparison and one I didn't really think of.  Since Heyman was the disciple of the three wisemen I think he's had multiple phases where he channeled them.   The two that standout to me is ECW Heyman is channeling Albano with the slovenly appearance and the cult leader like demeanor.  Current Heyman for me is his Grand Wizard phase.  Doesn't bump just stands back and cuts money promos.  Not sure about a Blassie phase, maybe the dangerous alliance...

15 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

Doing some rough math...

Bockwinkel's two reigns with Heenan as his manager had him with 2,181 days as champion

Adding Reign's current ongoing run, with Lesnar's reigns since his return comes up somewhere around 1532 days. We can get that up to around 1735 if we add Brock's first two runs in 2003. (These numbers may be slightly skewed due to air dates, WWE making shit up, and me doing math at 6:30 in the morning)

2 hours ago, Blehschmidt said:

Adding Reign's current ongoing run, with Lesnar's reigns since his return comes up somewhere around 1532 days. We can get that up to around 1735 if we add Brock's first two runs in 2003. (These numbers may be slightly skewed due to air dates, WWE making shit up, and me doing match at 6:30 in the morning)

What shit has the WWE made up in regards to Lesnar’s runs?

I don’t think they’ve done phantom changes/reigns since the PPV era started.

4 minutes ago, SteveJRogers said:

What shit has the WWE made up in regards to Lesnar’s runs?

I don’t think they’ve done phantom changes/reigns since the PPV era started.

I just noticed discrepancies in the number of days held and days recognized. After further research, it appears to come down to air dates. So, ignore the part about WWE making shit up. Like I said, it was early!