TravJ1979

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

51 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

Looks like somebody at Channel Seven is an AEW fan.

Clearly a fan of AEW referees' lax attitude wrt rules. Pro wrestling has wimpy rules where you can't even hit each other in the nuts without the referee calling for the bell. 

Meanwhile, in cricket, the chad King of sports: 

8 hours ago, KinchStalker said:

Well this has ruined my day. I'm going to go and binge watch my favourite matches of his tonight - 1972 World Series final vs Andre, first match vs Inoki, IWA title match vs Rusher (one of the first, if not the first world title match in Japan between two native wrestlers).

The first Japanese wrestler to get into the business via bodybuilding, which he first learned from US army members stationed in Yokota near his home of Ōme on the outskirts of Tōkyō. The gym in central Tōkyō that he trained at afterwards happened to be frequented by Kintarō Ōki, who took a liking to him and introduced him to Rikidōzan. However despite wanting to be a pro wrestler since his teens, he felt he did not yet have the physique to compete (which I find amusing if you look at photos of him from this time). Later, he worked at Riki Sports Palace, tidying up gym equipment used by the wrestlers, where he was further pressed by Ōki to consider joining the JWA. He also spent time training at the fabled Kōrakuen Gym, brushing shoulders with the likes of Yukio Mishima.

In October 1966, around the time Isao Yoshihara split from the JWA to form the IWE, they met following a bodybuilding competition in Hibiya, being introduced by the IWE's first ring announcer Yasuo Hasegawa who was present at the meet. This was Kobayashi's first time entering such a competition, and to the surprise of few, he won it. Yoshihara was so impressed that he requested Kobayashi to join the IWE with him as his number one rookie. It was this encounter that sufficiently convinced Kobayashi that he should give up his job working at Kokutetsu (Japan's national rail company, now Japan Railways) and finally fulfil his dream to become a wrestler.

I could go on but unfortunately work calls. He had an interesting career path, peaking relatively early on (although this was mainly due to persistent back issues which limited his workrate after transferring to New Japan), but his impact in the early 70s is absolutely indelible and he deserves to be remembered for it. Rest in peace.

Hi all,

Years long lurker and extremely sporadic poster here with a question for those in the know:

What's the deal with the listed attendence for Tokyo Pro Wrestling's 23 July 1996 show in Atami? Wikipedia and Chris Harrington both list a figure of 65,000 at the show but this has to be nonsense, right? Based on my very light digging it seems the WrestlingData site is the main source for this. I'm having a hard time accepting this show drew 6,500 or even 650 to be honest. The only guess I can make is that Atami seems to he a tourist destination and some genius counted everyone in the area as an attendee.

Does anyone know what the deal is? At this point I'm kinda excited at the prospect of confirming Abdullah the Butcher drew 65k in 1996.

On 1/9/2022 at 6:19 AM, ohtani's jacket said:

The Observer says that it was a free show on Sun Beach during a fireworks festival. 

That's about what I figured. I wonder how many were actually paying the show any mind as opposed to there just being a ring amongst a crowd of 65,000.

13 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

Sounds like how Incredibly Strange Wrestling would claim that they had 10,000 fans in attendance for every show they did during the summer of 2001...when they were a side stage attraction during Warped Tour. 

So in a way, Blink-182 drew the most people to non-WWF wrestling shows in the US during 2001

NFTs are demonstrably worse, since it's the most obvious scam since the MLMs your former high school classmates push on Facebook. 90% of the people pushing them don't even understand what they are (you're literally just buying a receipt saying you spent money on something and nothing else) and the ones who do are just trying to get their cut before the masses get fleeced.