Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

Reading someone on FB joke about Brutus Beefcake being an IRL barber made me wonder a couple of things about occupation gimmicks

Aside from “modern athlete” gimmicks (MVP, Rock) and “Hollywood” gimmicks (Rock, Miz, Batista) was Paul Bearer the lone mainstream occupational gimmick where the performer was legitimately from that profession?

On the flip side of that, any stories of someone, most likely an indie performer, going all method acting on the gimmick and literally study up on the profession, or even do it as a “learning tricks of the trade” despite it just being something for his or her wrestling persona, and the audiences really aren’t expecting authenticity? 

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 2/24/2022 at 6:20 AM, sek69 said:

Welp, I suppose Russian heels are about to become popular in wrestling again.

I actually was thinking about that. Kinda sucks for Leila Hirsch and especially Masha Slamovich, who's been killing it in IMPACT thus far. I mean, wearing those Russian colors. You know people on social medias just are gonna be fucking idiots and toxic about it. (I mean, I stumbled into Lana's anti-war tweet and idiots were acting like "Do better !")

12 minutes ago, MoS said:

Of course the French guy does not give a shit about the death of one of the most famous cricketers to ever live :P 

I don't even follow French sports. I doubt I would be able to name one member of the World Champions French football team out of the top of my head. So, yeah, cricket ? :lol:

3 hours ago, El-P said:

Micheal Elgin is suing IMPACT for breach of contract (he was done after #SpeakingOut allegations). I guess he's another one who want to control his narrative.

The best part is that it just recently came out Impact was paying him to sit at home while letting the public believe they parted ways with him.

As skeezy as Impact can be at times, there's no way Elgin (or his lawyers) want this to go to trial and get all his dirty laundry aired out. 

3 hours ago, strobogo said:

I watched that video of Tiger Driver 91s and was wondering what happened to Misawa between 1995 and 1997? He looked like he aged 8 years in between.

Partly the roughness of the style and I think also he put a lot of pressure on himself that has to take its toll after a while.  This is the same guy who ended up dying because he felt like he had to keep working even though his body completely deteriorated, just because of the pressure he felt as the ace of the company. 

18 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Randy Savage was gigantic, but even X-PAC, who we all saw as a small dude, was jacked. WWE truly messes up with your perception, man.

Yeah, that's crazy, the guy is 6.1 (1,85m) and when he showed up on WWF TV in 93 he looked like a small scrawny kid. See also, Jeff Hardy.