Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The best thing is how Dusty hustles back to play D as well, he's not a glory hog out there just trying to score. 

Also I noticed that at least in the US, today's Google Doodle is honoring the Great Gama's 144th birthday. 

Was there a reason Hall and Nash were split apart in the summer/fall of 1997? Hall starts doing matches and promos with Savage, occasionally Syxx, but also doing a lot more singles matches. I assume Nash was injured, but when he's on TV, it's with Buff/Konnan/Syxx, not Hall. Besides a Nash injury, my thought was perhaps WCW was trying to keep them apart a bit as Hall's drinking was starting to become a noticeable problem.

1 hour ago, strobogo said:

Besides a Nash injury, my thought was perhaps WCW was trying to keep them apart a bit as Hall's drinking was starting to become a noticeable problem.

If my old man memory is correct, I think that's correct. I remember around that time was when we started hearing stories/rumors about Hall's issues becoming a problem. 

The Islanders pretty much ran their course at that point, and I suppose he just wanted to move on.  I never heard of there being any issues and the family pretty much has jobs for life if they want, so I would think he just wanted to go to greener pastures.

On 5/22/2022 at 5:11 PM, strobogo said:

Was there a reason Hall and Nash were split apart in the summer/fall of 1997? Hall starts doing matches and promos with Savage, occasionally Syxx, but also doing a lot more singles matches. I assume Nash was injured, but when he's on TV, it's with Buff/Konnan/Syxx, not Hall. Besides a Nash injury, my thought was perhaps WCW was trying to keep them apart a bit as Hall's drinking was starting to become a noticeable problem.

Outside the matches that summer when Nash was out with the knee injury, I can't find much time that they'd have been separated.  Hall wasn't on the Fall Brawl team but that was supposedly a change in plans because the four guys that did the Horsemen skit got the heat so they ended up going with them (I think Konnan has mentioned that).  Then it was right back with Hall and Nash the following night right up until Nash got hurt again on 9/26.  When he did show up at WW3 dressed as Sting it was to help Hall too, and then Hall took the chokeslam from the Giant at Starrcade when Nash wasn't there.  The only time in 1997 Hall wasn't there was Spring for rehab, then he returned right before Slamboree against Flair, Piper, and Kevin Greene.  

On 5/18/2022 at 2:03 PM, NotJayTabb said:

As a Nottingham resident, which is where this show is taking place, I know the Motorpoint Arena very well, and I can't see this being remotely profitable. It's a 10,000 seater arena, and to put on a show at 3 weeks notice with basically undercard WWE talent feels like a madness. The last time WWE ran there in 2021, they only got 4,500. I guess this might have morbid curiosity value, but it feels very odd.

In a lovely twist of fate, I've been bought tickets for this show for my upcoming birthday. My mum had bought me some WWE house show tickets before, and I'm guessing the Motorpoint Arena e-mailed her to say "Hey this other wrestling show is coming up" and now I'm the proud owner of 2 tickets to the AoP island of misfit toys promotion and I'm kinda pumped about it. She did tell me that she's so far had two e-mails from the arena giving her a partial refund on the price as "The promotor has reduced the ticket prices", just in case you were wondering how sales were going.

21 hours ago, sek69 said:

The Islanders pretty much ran their course at that point, and I suppose he just wanted to move on.  I never heard of there being any issues and the family pretty much has jobs for life if they want, so I would think he just wanted to go to greener pastures.

He was initially suspended, and had always had discipline problems going back to his "too much, too soon" singles push as a teenager. I don't know the specifics of his 1988 departure but there was definitely something that triggered it. 

Edit: According to the '88 Observers, Tama quit in solidarity with Sika being let go, as apparently the Anoi'as were very much on the outs with Vince at the time.

4 minutes ago, PeteF3 said:

He was initially suspended, and had always had discipline problems going back to his "too much, too soon" singles push as a teenager. I don't know the specifics of his 1988 departure but there was definitely something that triggered it. 

Which is too bad because I felt Tama was really starting to come into his own as an assholish heel at this time.   

15 minutes ago, PeteF3 said:

Edit: According to the '88 Observers, Tama quit in solidarity with Sika being let go, as apparently the Anoi'as were very much on the outs with Vince at the time.

Wow, there's a What If scenario if Vince and the family never patched things up. 

I remember back then, they announced that Superfly Snuka’s cousin was coming in, and I was super excited because I had been a huge Superfly mark (in my defence I was just a kid and didn’t know Snuka was a coked up murderer at the time.)

Then “Superfly Afi” made his debut and after seeing him wrestle I was decidedly less excited. Then they changed Sivi Afi’s gimmick to “High Chief Afi” and put him with The Islanders and I still wasn’t excited. 

Then Tama left and they decided Haku was King Haku and put a crown on him, and I was confused more than anything.

EDIT: Here is Afi’s debut with Haku and Tama against Brady Boone, Outback Jack and…Steve Blackman?!

That is sad news. I just came here to see if there was an RIP thread for him. I first saw him when I bought the 95 IWA KOTDM tournament and saw him fight Dan Severn for the NWA title. Then as I got into FMW I saw lots more of him, of course. I remember learning a lot about him from @BAHU’s awesome History of FMW podcast series. He was a unique talent for sure. Probably Onita’s best rival? I think probably some people sleep on how good he was because he was doing the death match stuff, but honestly I think he was a very solid worker.

RIP

EDIT: Turns out Bret just did a podcast dedicated to him last month…