Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

11 minutes ago, strobogo said:

The bloodiest time in WWE was post going public, though. The Ruthless Aggression era right up to the Benoit murders had some of the most insane blade jobs outside of a deathmatch promotion. 

Was that really a lot worse than during the Attitude Era or do we just remember stuff like the infamous Eddie vs JBL bloodbath because it was so striking ? Honest question, this was not a period I was following the promotion nor its business anymore and although I have watched most of its most famous stuff after the fact, I don't have any precise contextual recollection of it. But yeah, I was thinking more about the post Benoit murders era, when the company really got deep into the Cena/Orton era and really went PG, so this is more than just "going public", a lot if not most of it was about going after advertisers and changing their public image.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

Didn't Sheik nearly burn to death in FMW?

Regardless, I have noticed a strong correlation, albeit an imperfect one, between the decline in forehead blading in wrestling and the dramatic increase in high-risk spots and bumps. It's probably something that warrants exploring in greater detail. By the way, Radiohead is a far superior band to Yes.

No, they’re not. Yes had actually complex musicianship and lyrics that, while cryptic, had poesy and craftsmanship. Radiohead at this point feels like an artifact of a dead era.

Edit: can’t let “a much more real demonstration of actual physical skills” pass by unanswered. One can like the modern indie-inflected, hyperkinetic style, but watching even 80s Mid-South or Japan, let alone older stuff with Thesz, I think it’s pretty clear which style required more skill overall.

1 hour ago, Embrodak said:

One can like the modern indie-inflected, hyperkinetic style, but watching even 80s Mid-South or Japan, let alone older stuff with Thesz, I think it’s pretty clear which style required more skill overall.

You're talking about what you perceive as superior "working" skills. I was just referring to the straight athletic abilities displayed in modern matches, which are more "real" because, well, they actually are what they are (in term of flying, very intricate and quick sequences with tons of counters, also feats of strenght too although to a lesser degree). Whether this is taking less "working skills" or not really wasn't the point I was making. Strictly speaking about the spectacle of legit athleticism that has become more prevalent.

On 7/4/2022 at 10:51 AM, The Thread Killer said:

The unravelling continues.  The former Nia Jax has now tweeted that she is not happy these guys are continuing to promote her as appearing on this show, as she will not be. So this is turning out pretty much exactly like everybody predicted it would.  It is perversely entertaining to observe from a distance, if not a little sad.

Aaaaaand done.

FXAvAn2WAAQ9FXv?format=jpg&name=medium

35 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

In more tragic news, it turns out Woke Buff Bagwell was a sham.

Where is that? Looks like Reddit.

On Twitter, Buff (?) is saying this:

I kinda doubt the guy running Buff's Twitter would be posting badly about himself, so I'm assuming Buff's Twitter is actually Buff.

I could be wrong...

This is probably the dumbest question ever asked on this board, but do you consider WrestleMania one word or two? I mean, I've seen people abbreviate shows like WrestleMania 3 as "WM3", but I've also seen it written as just one word.

EDIT: IGNORE THIS POST, I MISREMEMBERED THE ANECDOTE.

I have a question for those more knowledgeable about Japanese indies than me.

I am writing a profile about Strong Kobayashi, and there is one thing about his Western reputation that I want to acknowledge because I think it's been misunderstood. As has been written in Stan Hansen's autobiography, Kobayashi had a reputation among foreign workers for his bodyslam technique, in which he grabbed his opponent's crotch. I suspect that this is simply what he had been taught in the IWE dojo, and that it stuck out for those who worked for NJPW at the time for obvious reasons. I have read an interview elsewhere on the internet where someone stated that Apollo Sugawara passed down the "unique IWE bodyslam" through his work as a trainer. Is this referring to the crotch-grabbing bodyslam, and did it start showing up again in the 90s indies?

I've actually seen more AEW merch here in Cleveland recently than WWE stuff recently (though, at the YMCA I used to go to, I saw a Roman Reigns shirt once.)

The AEW stuff I've seen has been for the company too - not a particular wrestler. For example, at two different groceries near me I saw guys in AEW hoodies. 

Locally all I see i WWE and the local indies shirts. See more local indie shirts than WWE.

Oddly when I see  a WWE shirt it is on someone looking at least 50 or older. The indie shirts I see on people of all ages.

Had someone yesterday comment on my Macho Man/Wu Tang Mash up shirt I had on.