Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

The most recent crop of guys of got signed like Ricochet and War Machine are on deals for $50,000 a year while they are in NXT so I'm not really sure how much of a paycut that is even for guys who are doing really well on the indies.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would say War Machine are probably breaking about even and Ricochet is probably taking a pay cut but not a huge one. It might even out with less travel. But that's really just a guess. I tend to think only a small minority of indy guys are making so much that WWE isn't a more viable long term place to go.

Looking forward to the MLW card this Thursday:

Unsanctioned Match: Low Ki vs. MVP

MLW World Title Tournament Semi Final: Matt Riddle vs. ACH

MLW World Title Tournament Semi Final: Shane Strickland vs. Jimmy Havoc

Fans Bring the Weapons Match: Joey Janela vs. Darby Allin

Sami Callihan vs. Brody King

Último Ninja vs. Garza Jr.

Jimmy Yuta and Jason Cade vs. the Dirty Blondes

Barrington Hughes vs. Vandal Ortagun

Maxwell Jacob Friedman vs. Lance Anoa'i

In professional wrestling, is there a better first name of talent than Ric(k)?

Ric Flair

Rick Rude

Ricky Steamboat

Ricky Morton

Rick Martel

Rick Steiner

There's been good Steves but I can't think of enough to compete with Ricks. Maybe Chris?

This is the definition of a comment that doesn't warrant a thread. :D

Riki Choshu should count. And lets not forget one of the kings of Japanese indy sleaze, Ricky Fuji.

Ric Flair

Rick Rude

Ricky Steamboat

Ricky Morton

Rick Martel

Rick Steiner

There's been good Steves but I can't think of enough to compete with Ricks. Maybe Chris?

Terry Funk

Terry Gordy

Terry Taylor

Terry Rudge

Black Terry

Terry Boy Teioh

Magnum TA (Terry Allen)

Hulk Hogan (Terry Bolea)

The Warlord (Terry Scott Szopinski)

Terri Runnels

:lol:

Ric Flair

Rick Rude

Ricky Steamboat

Ricky Morton

Rick Martel

Rick Steiner

Riki Choshu should count. And lets not forget one of the kings of Japanese indy sleaze, Ricky Fuji.

and Ricky Marvin.

There was a dude called up to Smackdown sometime in the mid 2000's, had kind of a dark Matrix like gimmick, everyone thought he was gonna feud with Undertaker. I think he might have been of Spanish descent. Got released before he ever went anywhere.

Anyone remember his name?

There was a dude called up to Smackdown sometime in the mid 2000's, had kind of a dark Matrix like gimmick, everyone thought he was gonna feud with Undertaker. I think he might have been of Spanish descent. Got released before he ever went anywhere.

Anyone remember his name?

Vade Hansen

Enjoying this rather random discussion of former FWA ahem... 'legend', the South City Thrilla Hade Vansen.

Going back to the FWA, and the UK scene in the early 2000s, Vansen was fairly highly thought of, given he had the look and had charisma but he was never the best of workers. I think he had a karate background which meant a lot of his arsenal was rather convoluted looking kicks, but he always struggled to put together a compelling match outside of his spots. I do think towards the end of the FWA's run when he became the champion with a heel Katie Lea Burchill by his side he was starting to get it so it's a shame he never really did anything in wrestling again once he left the WWE, I think he became an actor.

Nice to think about him again though, mainly so I can enjoy getting his gloriously terrible FWA in house theme in my head today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7fPJI6jRO0

Just got back home from the MLW show...

Seth Petruzelli vs. Kotto Brazil -- Was short. Seth came out with Team Filthy and Tom Lawlor was there with him. Lawlor called BS on ACH getting his spot in the title tournament against Matt Riddle instead of Seth. I also noticed Kotto Brazil is Snoop Strikes from EVOLVE and FIP. I didn't even realize he was the guy who got squashed 2 shows ago by Rhett Giddins and he also got squashed and unmasked by Low Ki at the last show. Seth needs to work on his promo skills. Anyway, Seth won with a spin kick. Post match Team Filthy beatdown and Riddle makes the save.

Matt Riddle vs. ACH -- I haven't seen their EVOLVE match, but either this or Joey Janela vs. Darby Allin are my picks for MOTN. Not sure how it will come across on video, but this was fantastic live. Riddle tried using his power advantage over ACH while ACH tried using his speed advantage and fireball offense. Very different match from what you usually see from Riddle. Well worth watching. Col. Rob Parker even told Riddle he was blown away by his performance as he was walking to the back. Riddle won with the Twister.

The Dirty Blondes (Michael Patrick and Leo Brien) with Col. Rob Parker vs. Team TBD (Jason Cade and Jimmy Yuta) -- Was also pretty short and wasn't really much to write home about. The highlight was Col. Rob Parker rebuilding the Stud Stable with the Dirty Blondes as his first two members and he also tried recruiting Mike Parrow. The Dirtby Blondes won after Col. Rob Parker interfered.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman vs. Lance Anoa'i -- Really fun. MJF is great from what I've seen of him as a cocky heel. I also thought Lance looked great a fiery Samoan face. MJF pulled the "Can you smell what MJF is cookin'?" and the People's elbow... MJW won with a roll up and a handful of tights.

Garza, Jr. vs. Último Ninja -- Was very different from the two previous lucha showcase matches (Penta El Zero M vs. Rey Fénix and Destino Negro vs. Mega Danger). This was worked at a slower paced and didn't see the same insane of crazy spots from the previous two matches. The fans loved Garza, Jr. and he looked really great as a rudo and I thought Último looked pretty good on the opposite side. Garza won after Selina de la Renta unmasked Último and Garza was able to pull off the roll up.

Barrington Hughes vs. Vandal Ortagun -- Same as the other Barrington Hughes matches. Less than a minute squash with a powerslam.

Brody King vs. Sami Callihan -- Very underwhelming. I was expecting both guys to go hard on each other, but I felt they held back. Brody won after Jimmy Havoc, Priscilla Kelly and Darby Allin came out and distracted the ref. and Jimmy hit Sami with a skateboard.

Saieve Al Sabah vs. Markos Espada -- Short and just a match to get Al Sabah over. Al Sabah won with a modified bow-and-arrow.

Low Ki vs. MVP -- Very odd... They did another kung fu sword fight scene with sticks and kendo sticks and that maybe one of the most embarrassing things I've seen in a while. Some Samoan guy ran out and attacked MVP and Stokely Hathaway stole MVP's chains...

Shane Strickland vs. Jimmy Havoc -- Was exactly what you'd expect out of these two without a hardcore stipulation. To their credit though, they are way over. Strickland won with a double stomp. Strickland vs. Riddle will be the final for the MLW world title next month.

Joey Janela vs. Darby Allin -- One of the craziest matches I've ever seen live. There was an inflatable shark wrapped in barbed wire, a vintage Hulk Hogan figure, a football helmet, a belt, a suitcase, a toy truck, thumbtacks, a lightsaber, etc. Some of the highlights include Darby getting thrown into a thumbtack plate, Janela getting suplexed into the inflatable shark, Darby doing a tope con hilo with his hands tapped behind his back and Janela tossing Darby off the balcony into the chairs in the ring. Not sure how this will come across on video either, but if you dug the Callihan match from last month, then you'll dig this one as it's even crazier. Janela bleed buckets. Janela won with a top rope elbow drop.

Misc stuff -- Apparently Bruce Pritchard was backstage helping with interviews and the taping. It was also announced that this was their first TV taping, however they did not announce where it would be airing. I didn't spot Tony Schiavone near the commentary table and I wasn't even sure there was one there, so they may have tapped the commentary elsewhere.

Anyway, if you watch something from this, watch Riddle vs. ACH and Janela vs. Allin.