Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sami Zayn's Wiki lists Savio Vega as one of his trainers. Does anyone know how, when or where this occurred? I did a Google search for it, but can't find any info on it.

On an entirely different topic -- I just ready Yoshiaki Fujiwara is a former Muay Thai fighter. He also has some background in catch wrestling which is what his style is focused around. It's odd that he has a background in a striking art, yet he barely throws knees in the clinch, elbows in the clinch or leg kicks and relies mostly on his catch wrestling skills. He also has a background in judo.

Would Steve Austin have had a better run on top without the Boss feud?

I enjoyed Steve's run with the belt but I was so sick of these bloody screw job matches like Kane is on fire if he loses or Taker & Kane can't pin each other.

Looking at it now how they built up Mania 13 to 14 I think Id have preferred it to stayed that way the following year where they eventually lead up to Mania 15 being Shamrock vs Austin.

Ken in 97 didnt do too bad but if they kept him as a legimate threat to the title it might have been a good money match.

Would Steve Austin have had a better run on top without the Boss feud?

I enjoyed Steve's run with the belt but I was so sick of these bloody screw job matches like Kane is on fire if he loses or Taker & Kane can't pin each other.

Totally agree. After SummerSlam 98, the product takes a nosedive and I was getting sick of Austin vs McMahon already, especially with all these bad Taker/Kane matches. Yes, the early angles were absolutely terrific. But to me, the feud peaked with the second Dude Love match which is the apex of Attitude Era overbooking insanity.

After that point, it's only downhill for me, despite the natural chemistry Austin & McMahon had. The 99 stuff with the Corporation and the *gasp* Corporate Ministry is eye gouging material. It gets a pass because it's WWF winning the MNW and because it's Austin (and Taker, to a lesser extent, as people are seemingly more willing to acknowledge the fact he was involved in tons of terrible stuff), but honestly, it's just *really bad*.

Plus it's about that time Shane & Stephy gets thrown into the mix, which is another reason to not enjoy it considering we'll still *there* 20 years later.

Sami Zayn's Wiki lists Savio Vega as one of his trainers. Does anyone know how, when or where this occurred? I did a Google search for it, but can't find any info on it.

On an entirely different topic -- I just ready Yoshiaki Fujiwara is a former Muay Thai fighter. He also has some background in catch wrestling which is what his style is focused around. It's odd that he has a background in a striking art, yet he barely throws knees in the clinch, elbows in the clinch or leg kicks and relies mostly on his catch wrestling skills. He also has a background in judo.

The Muay Thai thing is a mistake. I've seen it reported before but apparently it's not true. Which makes sense, like you said, his style is the furthest thing from that.

What are some wrestling angles that make you say "Fuck this, I'm done"?

For me Fall Brawl 97 is at the top. There are things close to it. But those things could be justified easier. I wrote this on Twitter. The Horsemen losing to the nWo B-Team in Wargames was the point I really stopped giving a shit about WCW. That was a point where they told their oldest fans "You can leave, we don't really care." There is no reason Flair could not have made Syxx, Bagwell or Konnan submit. The nWo would have still been a threat.

If Hennig had to be in the nWo, he could betray Flair any other time. But Hennig did not need to be in the nWo. You really get the feeling that the Horsemen were being sabotaged. So Hennig was put in the nWo. Hell on a minor note, a year later Barry Windham turned on Flair. Which I think was done trying to make the Horsemen less over.

I don't agree. When I was watching the 1997 eps I remember thinking the whole angle with Hennig taking Arn's spot in the horsemen just to turn around and shit all over them was a hella ballsy move to get heel heat on the nWo and Hennig. Always figured Ric Flair and older fans took shit way too seriously when they spoke out about the angle as if it was the end of the world. It's pro wrestling and having older stars put over younger guys in shocking angles is booking 101. The Flair/Hennig feud and their matches have also been really underrated.

The matches were good but Flair never got revenge. They gave it to DDP at the last minute and his win did not mean anything. It was the nWo B team and the only reason the B team existed was to lose so the big three did not have to.

It did not even really help Hennig once he lost the US title, he was lost in the shuffle. It was done to bury Flair like almost every WCW booking move once Turner bought the company.

https://twitter.com/beyondwrestling/status/978098212593721344

Beyond is done with David Starr. Wonder what happened there?

Unfortunate. Hope one of the people here with more information on the machinations of the indies can provide info. Hes usually the best part of their shows, along with Janela.

Oh, there's been a few, so I now refer to them as moments where I say "fuck I need a break."

WWF/E:

-Hornswoggle pulling Looney Tunes tricks

-HHH's reign of terror

-"JBL is poopy"

-WWECW

-The constant undermining of Bryan in 2013

-Pretty much everything in 2002/2005/2007/2011/2012-2018, now that I think about it

WCW:

-Hogan's return to red & yellow after the nWo (yes, this was the point where I stopped watching entirely, and I'll forever say the New Blood angle was a massive improvement)

TNA:

-Jeff Jarrett wins the first KotM

-Main Event Mafia vs. random face stable of the month

-Black Reign & Rellik (which is "killer" spelled backwards, the blitzkrieg of its mentioning killed what I thought was a potentially awesome gimmick)

-Immortal

-Knockouts reverting to Russo's T&A emporium

ROH:

-DAN SEVERN being treated like he matters at all to pro wrestling

For me Fall Brawl 97 is at the top. There are things close to it. But those things could be justified easier. I wrote this on Twitter. The Horsemen losing to the nWo B-Team in Wargames was the point I really stopped giving a shit about WCW. That was a point where they told their oldest fans "You can leave, we don't really care." There is no reason Flair could not have made Syxx, Bagwell or Konnan submit. The nWo would have still been a threat.

If Hennig had to be in the nWo, he could betray Flair any other time. But Hennig did not need to be in the nWo. You really get the feeling that the Horsemen were being sabotaged. So Hennig was put in the nWo. Hell on a minor note, a year later Barry Windham turned on Flair. Which I think was done trying to make the Horsemen less over.

Fall Brawl itself didn't bother me. I can see how the botched aftermath would be annoying. But the initial turn worked in my opinion. Hennig and Flair had a lot of history, and Hennig stringing Flair along and then "out-Naitching the Naitch" was a good story. Had it led to a Hennig-Flair blowoff at Starrcade, it would be remembered a lot more fondly

As for the initial question, Katie Vick. It's an obvious one but it's true. I was a lifelong fan until then. I still watch the older stuff, but I haven't watched an entire show since.

I don't agree. When I was watching the 1997 eps I remember thinking the whole angle with Hennig taking Arn's spot in the horsemen just to turn around and shit all over them was a hella ballsy move to get heel heat on the nWo and Hennig. Always figured Ric Flair and older fans took shit way too seriously when they spoke out about the angle as if it was the end of the world. It's pro wrestling and having older stars put over younger guys in shocking angles is booking 101. The Flair/Hennig feud and their matches have also been really underrated.

Yes, that turn sure made that young up-and-comer Curt Hennig, didn't it? Six months later he was about at the same level as Stevie Ray.

Second Katie Vick. I haven't been a regular long-term viewer of Raw since.

Katie Vick for me too. Same deal. Completely put me off of watching RAW for years. I went back to watching SmackDown occasionally fve or six months after the angle, when Benoit and Eddie started wrestling on that show.

I remember reading about Chris Jericho running over HHH's dog as the main story in the build to WrestleMania, a month or two after I stopped watching RAW, and just feeling like I had made the best decision.

I haven't been a regular weekly viewer of any WWE program since then, though I still pop in during the Rumble-Mania season most years.

I've never been that bugged by an angle personally, but I stopped following WWE in the early 2000's mostly because their product bored me and there was other things I preferred watching -- i.e.; indies, puroresu and lucha libre.

I know on a weekly basis at least someone replies to a RAW, SDL or PPV thread at DVDVR with I'm done with this company only to watch the following week and follow up with the same type of reply.

If any angle would've/could've potentially irked me, it was the McMahon vs. "God" stuff which was really tasteless to me due to my religious beliefs, but even then I couldn't care less.

Vampiro setting Sting on fire was probably the last time I bothered watching WCW. It wasn't that I thought it was so stupid that it was offensive to me personally, because I was thirteen and I was probably all about the stupid shit back then, but I'd been losing interest for a while and at that point I remember just kind of throwing my hands up and sticking to WWF from there.

The WCW/ECW Invasion angle as a whole didn't turn me off WWF, but at some point during that run it sort of dawned on me that it was basically WWF v WWF with some WCW ham n eggers and so I stopped really paying attention (outside the Rumble and Wrestlemania each year) until Eddie won the title in 2004.