Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

Bryan punching the shit out of Cass' face and also beating his KNEE, while only going to the top one time shows that wrestlers need to study their tapes - shit was dope and aggressive, while also being safe.

At this point, he might be one of the best brawlers WWE has right now. And one of the best technical wrestlers, too.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Coach is just awful. I think if I made a list of all time worst announcers that I would easily find a place for him on it.

I've seen other people say the same thing elsewhere but it bears repeating. Coach is almost fascinating to me (in the same way Vince Russo is) in that I can't fathom how somebody could be so closely involved in Pro Wrestling at such an intimate level, for such a prolonged period of time...yet still have no understanding of the simple basics of the sport or even a minimal understanding of what makes it work, and why.

There can only be two possible explanations, either exceptional stupidity or - and this is more likely - supreme arrogance. As in: "They hired me to work here and I get paid, so I must already know everything about this business and don't need to study or learn." In Coachman's case, I sometimes get an "Ed Whalen" vibe from him, like because of his "legitimate sports" journalism background he somehow thinks he's above Pro Wrestling or looks down on it in some way.

Either way, it's disrespectful to the sport, and maddening to witness.

Got my first programs all from the St. Louis Wrestling Club. The person was even nice enough to circle the winners of the matches for him. Here's what I got:

Friday, March 30, 1984:

Main Event:

Harley Race retains the Missouri Heavyweight Title against Wahoo McDaniel

Blackjack Mulligan, Blackjack Lanza and Bruce Reed d. Crusher Blackwell, Ken Patera and Crazy Luke Graham

Jimmy Garvin d. Chris Adams

Dick the Bruiser d . Scott Farris

Note: the program says Cy Jurgenson which the person crossed out and wrote Scott Farris

One Man Gang d. Hacksaw Jim Duggan

Dick Slater d. Buzz Tyler

Fabulous Ones d. Don White and T.G. Stone

The Grapplers d. Ted Oates and Les Thornton

5/11/1984 - this one doesn't have winners noted:

Main Event:

Chris Adams vs. Jimmy Garvin

Stipulation: If Adams wins then Sunshine gets 5 minutes in the ring with Precious.

Wahoo McDaniel and Barry Windham vs. Harley Race and Crusher Blackwell

Blackjack Lanza vs. Ken Patera in a lumberjack match

High Flyers vs. The Grapplers

Baron Von Raschke vs. Dick The Bruiser

Crazy Luke Graham vs. Ron Ritchie

Marty Jannetty, Ted Oates and Jerry Oates vs. Roger Kirby, Scott Farris and T.G. Stone

11/29/1985 - this person wrote all sorts of shit in here. Notes the Rock N Rolls are the new tag champs. Has a note WWF had 2,000 at a show. Notes this show had 5,000 and the next show is 1/1/1986. Midnight Express will be there and Magnum TA will face Tully Blanchard.

Main Event:

NWA World Heavyweight Title Match:

Ric Flair © vs. Dusty Rhodes ends in a double DQ

Billy Jack Haynes and Rock N Roll Express d. The Russians

Note: Person wrote Morton over Krusher

Magnum TA d. Arn Anderson

Note: Program lists it as Arne Anderson

Jimmy Valiant and Superstar Billy Graham d. Midnight Express

Note: DQ when the racket was used.

Buddy Landell drew Terry Taylor

Tully Blanchard d. Art Crews

Crusher Blackwell d. Mr. Goto

Note: Person crossed out Mr. Pogo

Why are pimped lucha matches always 25-40 minutes long? Even the small-show build-up tags often clock in at 25 minutes, which makes me lose interest fast when I try to watch a lot of matches at once. Even stuff like 90's AJPW and 00's NOAH, where people regularly complain about excessive length, have a fair number of great short matches so you don't have to just watch long match after long match. Would be great if someone could rec me the great matches that are 15 minutes or shorter.

Why are pimped lucha matches always 25-40 minutes long? Even the small-show build-up tags often clock in at 25 minutes, which makes me lose interest fast when I try to watch a lot of matches at once. Even stuff like 90's AJPW and 00's NOAH, where people regularly complain about excessive length, have a fair number of great short matches so you don't have to just watch long match after long match. Would be great if someone could rec me the great matches that are 15 minutes or shorter.

Often time the natural break that comes with both falls and longer periods between momentum shifts make them feel a lot shorter than they actually are relative to Japanese matches of similar length.

There are very few great lightning matches. (Indy matches can run closer to ~15 sometimes and some are great but you're not getting the real experience).

There's like... this and that's it?

On 6/19/2018 at 4:37 PM, KawadaSmile said:

Does Viscera have the most inexplicably good run a wrestler had in his '07 ECW run as Big Daddy V?

He had been really good since coming back in 2004. In particular he had this run, where he was delivering every week on Heat. I think that is why he got the Big Daddy V run. 

I've been watching a lot of New Japan on AXS lately, and I'm oddly ambivalent about JR and Barnett on commentary. I like the casualness sometimes, like you're just listening to two dudes talk wrestling. JR can still get a great call in when he's engaged. On the other hand, it feels like they are really slow to learn move names, have this weird primness about cheating, and only get really excited by stiffness ("slobberknocker!").  

Has anyone ever heard the phrase "urban narrative" outside of Bischoff's podcast? I have never once heard it. I have obviously heard of urban legends, but never this urban narrative nonsense. Am I the only one?

Any Mid-Atlantic/JCP experts out there?  I'm trying to collect all available Wrestling Observer award MOTY runners-up and have run into a snag with two entries.  I've seen evidence that both of these matches were televised but the extent of this was "TV Taping" listed next to the results (Clawhammer and Cawthon's site).  Did JCP tape certain house shows in their bigger markets for local broadcast?  If so, does footage exist for either of these matches?:

Ricky Steamboat vs. Dick Slater (Falls Count Anywhere, 6/4/84 / Greenville, SC)
and
Midnight Express vs. Tully & Arn (8/18/88 / Greensboro, NC) [This is listed as 8/26/88 in Meltzer's award list but I'm almost certain it's the date I listed]

Thanks for any help!