Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Glad I'm not alone. Going to those MLW shows is actually one of the things that has keep me at least remotely interested.

Speaking of, I'm heading to the CEO x NJPW show tonight in Daytona Beach.

I'm not a current New Japan fan, but the novelty of attending one of their shows live got me. The card will be:

Kenny Omega & Kota Ibushi vs. Tetsuya Naito & Hiromu Takahashi
Sho & Yoh vs. Dragon Lee & Ryusuke Taguchi
Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa vs. Juice Robinson & Dave Finlay
Jushin Thunder Liger vs. Rocky Romero
Jeff Cobb vs. Chase Owens

The show will be streamed live on CEO's Twitch channel for free.

Did any WCW midcarder have more contrasting fortunes under the different head bookers than Alex Wright?

Flair - Pushed him huge and was planning to put him in the 4 Horsemen once it reformed.

Sullivan - Had him doing nothing but jobs on TV for nearly 2 years.

Taylor during Sullivan's 'vacation' - Put the Cruiserweight and TV Title on him and included him in that awesome short lived Debra stable with Jarrett and Eddie.

Sullivan - Loses TV title to Disco, does nothing until Jarrett quits and they need a quick replacement for the Mongo feud.

Russo - Booked him to lose on a PPV to Brad Armstrong in 1999, never used him once on TV during the New Blood angle.

Alright, just got back home... 

Firstly, the venue staff -- what a fiasco. They didn't even have ticket scanners and just let anyone in who would show them a ticket. Also, given the amount of seats and fans, anyone could sit anywhere. The event was scheduled to start at 8:30 PM EST and it started at 9:05 PM.

The dark matches sucked. I like Nakazawa's Nuru Nuru gimmick as I think it can be entertaining. His promo was one of the highlights of the show. Him saying Japanese wrestlers are better than American wrestlers got a pop because y'know, these are super hardcore loyal kewl Nu Nippon fans who's opinion is anything Japan > anything American.

Liger vs. Romero was OK and one of the reasons I went -- the novelty of watching Liger live. Liger was way over.

Tonga & Loa vs. Robinson & Finlay was pretty bad. Neither side does anything for me and I find Robinson particularly awful. Tonga and Loa were over, however. There was this creepy male fan who spent the entire match screaming at Tonga to throw him his tank top... Yikes...

Cobb vs. Owens was a tad better than the previous two matches, but again, nothing special or memorable. I'm a big Cobb fan, but I've enjoyed his matches I've seen of his in MLW more than this one. The same fan asking Tonga for his tank top endlessly kept on ragging on Owens and he even mocked his physique even though the fan himself y'know wasn't really a body builder...

Lee & Taguchi vs. Sho & Yoh was not good, but Lee busted a crazy huracanrana over the top rope. Taguchi was over too.

Omega & Ibushi vs. Naito & Takahashi this wasn't particularly a great match, but it was easily MOTN. Some gross bumps by Ibushi and Naito in the finishing run. Both teams were really over with the fans.

I thought this was a really underwhelming show and not worth the 1:30 drive and not worth the $150+ I spent on 2 tickets for my wife and me.

Also, not trying to be THAT guy, but just some general thoughts -- if you attend an event, please have some common courtesy. Don't try and make the show about you and don't scream if you're talking to the person beside you as no one really needs to hear or care about your personal conversation. Cheer and chant all you want, but don't make the show about you because it's not about you and there's a very high chance that the majority of your banter isn't funny. I don't follow current New Japan product and I find their fanbase to be super annoying. Just the thought of the All In show being flooded with these types of fans turns me away from it.

40 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

So, it seems Kenny Omega booked an actual registered sex offender (Chasyn Rance) versus an accused domestic abuser (Aaron Epic) for his vanity project.

Ok, then?

The reason for it was that Rance has a ring that they used, a lot of indies in the area book him to use his ring. It is disgusting because they absolutely know who he is and what he did they also did not announce him ahead of time because they knew there would be a backlash so instead put him on the show in an unannounced match where the ring announcer did not mention his name I am not sure if the commentators did. They were hoping that people did not notice and that they could get away with booking someone convicted of sexually assaulting a 12-15 year old.

My confusion with this stretches to how Rance is even legally allowed to wrestle, being a registered sex offender I would have thought there would be a limit on where he was allowed to be in regards to possibly coming into contact with children. This and the vast majority of wrestling shows are not 18+ so how legally does that work? because he is most definitely within a few meters of children in the front rows.

He put out a better, more thought-out apology (if only he did that first). I buy that he didn't know about either guy but he absolutely should have done his research, taken accountability from the get-go, and not get as defensive as he did. But from what I've seen of him on Twitter before, he definitely seems hypersensitive and thin-skinned. I still like the guy as a wrestler, but it's still extremely disappointing behavior.

It's an extremely easy mistake to make in any business. You trust someone to make a judgement for you and then it blows up in your face. This situation was probably as simple as hey can the ring crew work a dark match since they own the ring. Sure, I don't care. And then next thing you know, this happens. I would probably make the same mistake honestly.

1 hour ago, Mad Dog said:

It's an extremely easy mistake to make in any business. You trust someone to make a judgement for you and then it blows up in your face. This situation was probably as simple as hey can the ring crew work a dark match since they own the ring. Sure, I don't care. And then next thing you know, this happens. I would probably make the same mistake honestly.

It seems that's pretty much what happened here. Not sure why Kenny felt the need to get super defensive about a guy he said he only met once back in 2004, but that was the hill he originally chose for battle.

Changing topics. CMLL is really fucking good right now. the Anniversary show is possibly going have LA Park vs Rush on top with Caristico vs Penta as the semi main. Holy shit, assuming things don't fall apart because you know its Mexico, that's the show of the year.