Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

I have just made two threads about Brickhouse Brown and Nikolai Volkoff passing and now on top of that their are reports that Brian Christopher is in hospital in a serious condition. This is a dark day for wrestling.

http://www.prowrestlingsheet.com/brian-christopher-hangs-self/

Edit: According to Meltzer Christopher has also passed away.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

Is Lance Storm one of the most robotic (putting it midly) people in the world?

I think sometimes his manner and his way of speaking can get lost over a medium like Twitter. From what he said I interpret it as him saying how Brain was a guy he never really got to know as their paths to the day didn't cross when both were coming and going and again the opposite way years later.

Lance from my personal experience always takes wrestlers early and tragic deaths (no joke) seriously. Every training camp he does at SWA he does a day dedicated to covering all the premature deaths in the business since he started in it and he reads every single name which was over 60 when I was there.

He may have some opinions on wrestling that people don't agree with or others might not like his work but when it comes to his true feelings on the people involved in the business he is very against people developing drug addiction and/or dying young due to circumstances that can lead to people meeting their end like how this happened with Brian.

I kind of guess where he comes from in this particular case, but there are so many times where he just says awkward stuff in his eulogies. It is very, very weird and sometimes it can be infuriating.

I'm not saying he is a bad person per se but he can sometimes come across as clueless as to the things he writes on Twitter.

Watching WWF WrestleVision Classic 1985 on WWE Network. I have never seen this show before. First match was Adrian Adonis Vs. Corporal Kirchner. The finish was Kirchner going for a Vertical Suplex & Adonis Adonis reversing it into a DDT-like pancake finish. In 1985! I popped. Jake himself didn't even come to WWF until 1986. Of course Jake was already doing Stampede & Georgia but that finish was genuinely surprising to me.

5 hours ago, Richeyedwards said:

I have just made two threads about Brickhouse Brown and Nikolai Volkoff passing and now on top of that their are reports that Brian Christopher is in hospital in a serious condition. This is a dark day for wrestling.

http://www.prowrestlingsheet.com/brian-christopher-hangs-self/

Edit: According to Meltzer Christopher has also passed away.

Also the Hardys and Shane Helms’ partner in founding Omega, Tracy Caddell.

4 hours ago, Coffey said:

Watching WWF WrestleVision Classic 1985 on WWE Network. I have never seen this show before. First match was Adrian Adonis Vs. Corporal Kirchner. The finish was Kirchner going for a Vertical Suplex & Adonis Adonis reversing it into a DDT-like pancake finish. In 1985! I popped. Jake himself didn't even come to WWF until 1986. Of course Jake was already doing Stampede & Georgia but that finish was genuinely surprising to me.

It was often Adonis' finish in 1985, but I don't think it was ever given a name. Of course when Roberts came in he stopped using it, or maybe even before 

18 hours ago, SPS said:

I think sometimes his manner and his way of speaking can get lost over a medium like Twitter. From what he said I interpret it as him saying how Brain was a guy he never really got to know as their paths to the day didn't cross when both were coming and going and again the opposite way years later.

Lance from my personal experience always takes wrestlers early and tragic deaths (no joke) seriously. Every training camp he does at SWA he does a day dedicated to covering all the premature deaths in the business since he started in it and he reads every single name which was over 60 when I was there.

He may have some opinions on wrestling that people don't agree with or others might not like his work but when it comes to his true feelings on the people involved in the business he is very against people developing drug addiction and/or dying young due to circumstances that can lead to people meeting their end like how this happened with Brian.

I think these are some excellent points, and probably on the money for why he comes out with some of the things he does.

When written down in a limited character medium, things can easily not come out as someone intends, and to be honest, he's far from alone in being awkward in a situation when trying to convey empathy or sympathy - and really who knows the right thing to same at times of tragedy?

When I saw what he wrote yesterday, then probably like many other people, my initial reaction was "wow, that's a bit insensitive and cold" but on the flip side I also see criticism when someone in the public eye passes away for people seen to be too over the top for how much grief they are showing for someone they didn't know.     

Could someone around him perhaps point out that the things he says when someone dies may come across insensitive or tone deaf? Maybe, but then as highlighted, I think - and only he himself knows - that the way he expresses things is because of genuine desire to not see his contemporaries dying so young and in such in tragic, sometimes self inflicted circumstances.   

In this short video Harry shares some more details around Davey almost going to UWFi in 1992/1993 and also some figures he was offered and paid in Japan. Davey was offered apparently $6,200 a match for UWFi and actually got $12,000 a week for SWS. I wish Davey would've went to UWFi and did a couple squashes of Tamura and Anjoh then had a big title match with Takada, would've been cool to see if he could adapt to the style.

On 7/27/2018 at 2:28 PM, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

I think people are way too generous with star ratings in general. To me, anything above 4 stars is an all-time great match. 

This and this:

On 7/27/2018 at 2:54 PM, leo said:

I think we can at least partly attribute this phenomenon to Meltzer losing any semblance of structure in his match ratings, and his growing fanbase duly following suit (since giving a match 5+ stars nowadays seems to be the "cool" thing, and especially as NJPW continues to grow at the rate it is, I don't see this trend dying down)

Every match from Japan in the folder for June, for example, is just randomly assigned ****+.

Not that it really matters, but I highly doubt every match occurring in 2018 in Japan is an all-time classic.

3 hours ago, Edwin said:

This and this:

Every match from Japan in the folder for June, for example, is just randomly assigned ****+.

Not that it really matters, but I highly doubt every match occurring in 2018 in Japan is an all-time classic.

I think Bix summed it up best in the old "Greatest Con" megathread over a decade ago when talking about Gabe running ROH in Japan,

"...it's considered this magical land full of five star matches, subservient women who want our big American penises, the most innovative video games, violent art films, and robot dogs. It's a mindset that has reverberated through the geekier aspects of popular culture for the last 15 years or so, getting worse and worse over time. "

A lot of online fans from outside Japan rate their matches higher strictly because it's from Japan. Even Meltzer who denies it still is guilty of this again at the end of the day it's only peoples opinion.

I can't find a Terry Funk bobblehead & that makes me sad. Felt like wrestler bobbleheads would be more popular than they seem to be. There's a ton for most sports but wrestling, outside of a few WWE ones, aren't as abundant as I was anticipating. 

22 hours ago, SPS said:

I think Bix summed it up best in the old "Greatest Con" megathread over a decade ago when talking about Gabe running ROH in Japan,

"...it's considered this magical land full of five star matches, subservient women who want our big American penises, the most innovative video games, violent art films, and robot dogs. It's a mindset that has reverberated through the geekier aspects of popular culture for the last 15 years or so, getting worse and worse over time. "

A lot of online fans from outside Japan rate their matches higher strictly because it's from Japan. Even Meltzer who denies it still is guilty of this again at the end of the day it's only peoples opinion.

It sounds a bit harsh, but it's accurate. MMA fans are the same. They rag on the UFC for having CM Punk fight on their cards, yet they forget PRIDE was heavily influenced by pro-wres. and there was a lot of freak show fights going on there, yet they act as if there wasn't any fixed fights and every fight was a straight up even fight between the highest ranked fighters at the moment.

I'm in two minds about the ratings thing. Part of me agrees that people (myself included) are rating stuff possibly too highly, but the flipside of that what's the point in rating something less simply because there's been a lot of other great stuff recently? If something is of high quality, what's happening around it shouldn't matter, a great match is a great match whether it appears on a card with ten other brilliant matches or finds itself as a diamond in the rough. I mean, read a music paper and look at their reviews of albums out that month, a lot will be rated highly. Does that mean every single one will end up becoming an iconic album? No, probably not, but does it diminish their quality as a piece of work? Not really either. Hype (for want of a better word) certainly adds to the situation, something that's fresh in your mind is always going to be at the forefront, but on the other hand perhaps our gut reaction is our most honest one? I'm sure a lot of us could rate something less if we go away and pick it apart, but that doesn't change our initial enjoyment of it either. The other thing is taste, if your taste isn't what's currently in fashion then you will naturally not rate a lot of the current product as highly as others, but that's just a fact of life and not really a true comment on the trend of ratings. For example, I'm a big fan of horror movies so I'm probably not going to pick a rom-com as my movie of the year, just in the same way the rom-com fan isn't going to pick some violent slasher either. So, if your taste is old school brawling for example, then a typical indie cruiserweight match just isn't going to flick your switches. And rightly so, because no one should bow down to trends if they really don't enjoy them. 

Maybe we really are in an era where we're experiencing a conveyor belt of great matches... or maybe given a few years the sheen will have worn off and a lot of those formerly great matches will look distinctly average. But, in the meantime, that's something only time will tell. 

The June Japan ratings thing is pretty easy to explain. People have to manually type up reviews to get them posted on there, and no one is going to make the effort to review some random match just to shit on it. There's plenty of Japanese matches that never get a thread because they aren't good enough.

3 hours ago, fxnj said:

The June Japan ratings thing is pretty easy to explain. People have to manually type up reviews to get them posted on there, and no one is going to make the effort to review some random match just to shit on it. There's plenty of Japanese matches that never get a thread because they aren't good enough.

I honestly don't want and am not trying to be rude, but you clearly missed the point. Go back and read the responses from the last 2-3 pages on the matter and you will see what I was getting at.

I am saying that you are overthinking things here. There's no need for any explanation beyond people being predisposed to watch and write about the kind of wrestling they enjoy. I don't buy that Meltzer just woke up one day and decided to start giving out ratings like candy and everyone else followed suit.  If anything the idea that higher ratings should be protected is the exception rather than the rule. I remember going to the GameFAQs WWE board 10 years ago and people regularly blasting Meltz for not having 20 more WWE matches at 5 stars. Then I went on the F4W and saw Alan4L with his MOTY lists consisting of literally hundreds of **** matches every year. The cool thing about this being a forum is that you're welcome to give your own dissenting opinions if you think a match is being overrated, which seems far more productive than just complaining about it without naming any specific examples.

Rick Steiner squashes from the last couple years of WCW are my current guilty pleasure. There's something I find perversely entertaining about a legit shooter being given carte blanche to just maul his opponents and them just taking it because they probably figure he'll fuck them up even worse if they try to fight back. I honestly think that current wrestlers would benefit from studying them as a guide to making matches look more like an actual fight.