TravJ1979

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, sek69 said:

After a few days of random local indy geeks getting outed for creeper behavior on Twitter, it looks like the perv of the day is James Ellsworth. Seems like he was sending inappropriate pics to someone underage. 

It always amazed me that he got anywhere. He worked for what was essentially a glorified backyard promotion in Pennsylvania and thought he was a big deal cause he was a wrestler. I did commentary for a slightly better shitty indy promotion in the area, and Ellsworth and the guys from his promotion used to wait until our shows got started and try to sneak in the side door of our venue with posters promoting their shows and run screaming through the audience to try and attract our crowd to their shows. The guy is a fucking idiot and a wierdo, so these accusations wouldn't surprise me in the least.

When did the Slim Jim sponsorship deal stop being a big deal? And why did that change?

The Observer notes it being a major factor/incentive for WWE's consideration to bring Savage back, even up into the 2000s after his WCW contract expired.

So what happened? Why did that sweet meat stick money suddenly stop being a priority in pro wrestling?

And fuck it. Just for the sake of conversation, who would be the perfect pitchman in today's WWE landscape?

(I guess technically Jack Link's beef jerky has surpassed Slim Jim in the marketplace these days. Hell if I know...)

So, per the internets, apparently there's an LLC that's been registered using the stadium address for the Jacksonville Jaguars. All Elite Wrestling, LLC. And they've applied for the following trademarks.

– AEW Double Or Nothing
– AEW All Out
– AEW
– Tuesday Night Dynamite
– ALL OUT
– Double Or Nothing
– All Elite Wrestling

So it looks like this Elite company thing is happening.

Edited by tallmike
English works better than gibberish, Michael.

1 hour ago, ...TG said:

If it's this real it probably needs its own thread, but where is this story coming from? What is Shahid Khan's connection with wrestling period, let alone the All In guys? From the outside it seems very random.

The trademark filings had the address of the Jacksonville Jaguars stadium, which I assume is where his offices are.  

If this thing lands a TV deal then we'll know it's the real deal.

42 minutes ago, sek69 said:

The trademark filings had the address of the Jacksonville Jaguars stadium, which I assume is where his offices are.  

Well that part I understand. I'm just curious as to how/why Khan, a bumper manufacturer and sports team owner, is now apparently getting mixed up in the independent wrestling world.

19 minutes ago, El-P said:

Just a quick correction,  the PR wrestler El Cuervo was the victim of the attack. And apparently it happened because the guy in the ring was upset over some chair shots he felt were stiff. It's an understatement to say that this incident has a lot of people furious and calling for Angel o Demonio's head. Cuervo needed emergency surgery to remove clotting from his brain and nobody knows yet what the prognosis for recovery is. He's going to be stuck in recovery and rehabilitation for quite a while in a foreign country. They're going to do a benefit show Thursday in Mexico and I imagine other things will pop up in terms of setting up help, but this incident is just absolutely heinous.

5 minutes ago, ...TG said:

Well that part I understand. I'm just curious as to how/why Khan, a bumper manufacturer and sports team owner, is now apparently getting mixed up in the independent wrestling world.

His son Tony is a huge wrestling fan by all accounts and follows several wrestlers on Twitter. He's apparently the one doing a lot of the work to get this together, if you believe the original report.

59 minutes ago, El Boricua said:

Just a quick correction,  the PR wrestler El Cuervo was the victim of the attack. And apparently it happened because the guy in the ring was upset over some chair shots he felt were stiff. It's an understatement to say that this incident has a lot of people furious and calling for Angel o Demonio's head. Cuervo needed emergency surgery to remove clotting from his brain and nobody knows yet what the prognosis for recovery is. He's going to be stuck in recovery and rehabilitation for quite a while in a foreign country. They're going to do a benefit show Thursday in Mexico and I imagine other things will pop up in terms of setting up help, but this incident is just absolutely heinous.

Thank you for providing the details of the story. It's just awful.

The commission said Angel o Demonio's suspension would last as long as Cuervo is out, but cubsfan noted he's still booked for a show in December which the promoter refused to remove him from because "it was announced weeks ago and we believe we should honor the commitment". 

So basically he will probably continue to get work as long as promotions book him (and they will trying to capitalize off the notoriety of the incident), unless the commission puts their foot down. 

On 10/26/2018 at 11:30 AM, El-P said:

Has anyone watched that NWA anniversary show ? Cody losing the NWA title to Aldis pretty much kills all the hype the All In result had in term of what could be done with the NWA going forward. Aldis is not a blip on the radar in term of buzz. Apparently, they announced the return of a Crockett Cup, complete with too dudes cosplaying as the Road Warriors, with Animal by their side. This whole revivalist stuff is a major *yawn* to me. Let the past be. Give me more G.L.O.W. (the TV show, not the wrestling company) and Lucha Underground. Then again, Billy Corgan has reformed the Smashing Pumpkins (without D'Arcy, come on now), so what would you expect...

They actually just posted the Cody Aldis match on the NWA Youtube page. 

Except for the finish, I really liked it. The finish does not feel satisfying and feels out of left field, but until that point I had a lot of fun watching the match. I really liked Cornette's commentary. I hope he does more commentary now. 

Cody vs Aldis was Meh at best, I liked the first fall and the way it was worked with plenty of holds but the second fall was dire. Bad brawling around an arena badly shot without any sort of chaotic feel to it, it felt helpful and cooperative.

Once the outside parties were thrown out it improved but this was only the very end of the match. The offence was really not good by either guy outside of the first fall very little of the strikes painful, the only painful looking move was the knees through the table and that was not sold by aldis at all.

I thought that the finish was sloppy also and was kind of out of left-field. The commentary really made this match Cornette, Schiavone and this Galli bloke were all good and really elevated the match far above what it was based on in ring work alone. I would say it was worth the watch but it was way too long and all the stuff in the second fall and start of the third with the brawling and interference was really bad.

It also suffered from a somewhat underwhelming & anti-climatic finish, but I greatly prefer their All In match over that one.

It didn't leave an impression on first watch, and it does even less for me now. Starts out decent enough, but it doesn't take too long to fall apart. And they just never quite get it back on track after that.

Well, I had not missed much.

Well, I'm watching the WrestleCade ECW roundtable and I gotta say there's something both hilarious and adorable about Francine. When Sandman gets to reply to New Jack, he hasn't pronounced more than 5 words (and "taking ecstasy" were two of them) she's already putting her head down in her hands. Totally cracks me up.

And you know, it's "cool" and all that pro-wrestlers are geeks who play video game and have # wars on Twitter and some of them are cute vegan and shit, but really, nothing beats a Sandman story where he's on his third acid hit in a row (and that one was two nights after the ecstasy trippin) while New Jack high on ecstasy himself thinks Sabu's dog is a lizard. . Yeah, things just aren't the same...