Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Randomly, I remembered one of my first issues of PWI, where an article covered the feud between John Rambo and the Mad Russian. I've been able to find two Rambo matches online, a tag with Dave Donovan vs. Mad Russian/Skank and a singles match from Portland vs. Mike Winner. Anybody else have anything on this guy? Seems like he had the perfect look for wrestling - 6'4", built, moves alright - so I'm wondering why he never went anywhere.

20 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

How's this for a historical what if? The latest retro Observer is the issue covering Keiji Mutoh and Satoshi Kojima's jump to All Japan. One of the guys they tried to recruit to go with them: Hiroshi Tanahashi.

"It is believed they also recruited Hiroshi Tanahashi, 25, who most believe has the most potential of all the younger wrestlers in New Japan, but Tanahashi decided against going with them."  

4 hours ago, Laz said:

Randomly, I remembered one of my first issues of PWI, where an article covered the feud between John Rambo and the Mad Russian. I've been able to find two Rambo matches online, a tag with Dave Donovan vs. Mad Russian/Skank and a singles match from Portland vs. Mike Winner. Anybody else have anything on this guy? Seems like he had the perfect look for wrestling - 6'4", built, moves alright - so I'm wondering why he never went anywhere.

Some of the boys in Portland suspected him of being a stooge for the athletic commission (Sandy Barr was in hot water with the commission for putting on shows without a promoter's license, which he tried to get around by billing them as public workouts). Art Barr shot on him during a match and destroyed his face.

19 hours ago, Laz said:

Rambo ended up hooking up with a guy named Dick Caricofe and running a promotion called National Wrestling League/House of Pain Wrestling Federation in the Maryland/West Virginia/Pennsylvania area.

They also have a wrestling school which I understand from talking to several people and my time ring announcing on local indies is a complete fucking joke.

I attended a few shows in the mid-2000's while I lived in Virginia and they were for the most part hardcore garbage brawls, with a women's match, a single name to draw, and Rambo in the main event. The name was usually Samu, and sometimes Gangrel.

To the point of how bad the shows were... I once saw Rambo blade a referee who looked to be about 19 years old. The crowd was chanting "Hit the Ref" after a bad call, so he nailed him with whatever trash was laying in the ring and then obviously gigged the kid in front of everyone. Classy

Anyway, if you wikipedia National Wrestling League you can see the who's who of who cares that worked for Rambo. 

Lastly, Rambo likes to claim that he trained Luke Gallows. I asked Gallows about it on a show one time and he laughed then replied "Fuck that guy"

Do we know for a fact that the Pacific Northwest John Rambo is the same guy as the Mid-Atlantic John Rambo? After all, there's been a million wrestlers who have been called Rambo or some variant thereof. In addition to this guy/these guys, there's the luchador who lost his mask to Villano III, the guy who worked for Otto Wanz and joined the Truth Commission, and Ron Starr in Puerto Rico. Who else?

On 2/5/2019 at 3:00 PM, KawadaSmile said:

Hey guys remember that one time the Headbangers wrestled Slater and Rhyno and it fucking rocked?

Was actually just thinking about this the other day and wondering why The Headbangers didn't get a second run out of it.

52 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

Do we know for a fact that the Pacific Northwest John Rambo is the same guy as the Mid-Atlantic John Rambo? After all, there's been a million wrestlers who have been called Rambo or some variant thereof. In addition to this guy/these guys, there's the luchador who lost his mask to Villano III, the guy who worked for Otto Wanz and joined the Truth Commission, and Ron Starr in Puerto Rico. Who else?

The mid-atlantic Rambo lists being in Portland in his profile on the website for his wrestling company.

Rambo Bio

On 2/8/2019 at 5:28 AM, Blehschmidt said:

Rambo ended up hooking up with a guy named Dick Caricofe and running a promotion called National Wrestling League/House of Pain Wrestling Federation in the Maryland/West Virginia/Pennsylvania area.

They also have a wrestling school which I understand from talking to several people and my time ring announcing on local indies is a complete fucking joke.

I attended a few shows in the mid-2000's while I lived in Virginia and they were for the most part hardcore garbage brawls, with a women's match, a single name to draw, and Rambo in the main event. The name was usually Samu, and sometimes Gangrel.

To the point of how bad the shows were... I once saw Rambo blade a referee who looked to be about 19 years old. The crowd was chanting "Hit the Ref" after a bad call, so he nailed him with whatever trash was laying in the ring and then obviously gigged the kid in front of everyone. Classy

Anyway, if you wikipedia National Wrestling League you can see the who's who of who cares that worked for Rambo. 

Lastly, Rambo likes to claim that he trained Luke Gallows. I asked Gallows about it on a show one time and he laughed then replied "Fuck that guy"

I went to a show where the main event was Rambo vs. Disco Inferno in a cage, I don't remember it being good. Northern Indies in the 90s were rough

Here's a question for the historians. How did Jerry Lawler get an IWGP title shot in 1989? As far as I know, he never toured Japan before then, which isn't surprising since they liked to bring in Americans who were hosses and/or headliners in major territories and he was neither. Was it winning the AWA championship that did it for him? Even though the AWA was on life support at that point, their title was still traditionally considered a major world championship. I'm thinking it might have given him the necessary credibility to work in Japan.

That may have been his first New Japan tour but he and Valiant worked All-Japan at least once as a tag team.

This was some sort of talent exchange deal, because Fujinami also came to the MSC to face Lawler that same year. And either that year or the year before, Fujinami did a home-and-away series with the Grappler in Portland over their title.