Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wally Yamaguchi, writer of Gong magazine, office guy for Baba among other things and probably responsible for the infamous Akira Hokuto bloodfest during the Kandori match, died at age 60. (of course the WWF made him "famous" for the worst reasons imaginable that should never be mentioned again) Yet another major figure of pro-wrestling gone in a matter of a few days.

21 minutes ago, Ricky Jackson said:

TNA/Impact's 11 year stranglehold on worst promotion finally ends with WWE taking that "honor" 

I guess it's a case of people not paying attention to lucha being a bonus since AAA should probably win that one in a rout.  Yeah, WWE is boring but AAA routinely false advertises (when they bother to advertise anything at all), never start shows on time, have production gaffes out the ass, and continually fail at being able to do a broadcast in English. 

How much '90s MUGA is actually out there that we know of? I don't think even a certain eastern-PA tape dealer has much before the mid-'00s revival. I've seen lists of two tapes on the old KanD Match Listings site and on Lorefice's site, some of which has shown up on Jetlag's Youtube. And yet...

https://youtu.be/jq-4-KJCIaQ

I found Tatsumi Fujinami vs. Tully Blanchard from a '95 show on Nicovideo and threw it on my Youtube channel, as well as a match from the same card between two Brits out of the Snake Pit. I knew of this match, but had no idea that there was more MUGA actually taped. 

Edit: I should also point out that I've found a few pages of what appear to be Japanese match reviews of other not-circulating tapes from this era.

Isnt the word on Onita is that he's wheelchair bound right now after his most recent surgery? I know the Janela shows have really backed off the Onita promo in recent weeks, and i have seen reports elsewhere that all he is doing is signing autographs. 

My current schedule for the weekend right now:

Thursday: Family Reunion, Bloodsport, Wrestlecon Supershow

Friday: US vs The World, NXT Takeover

Saturday: ROH/NJPW, Spring Break 2

Sunday: Wrestlemania

Then a 6am flight out of New York Monday morning so I can be back in ny own bed by 9am to spend the day recovering :)

Yeah, Kane is quite bad. Memorable character though. Which counts for a lot. That's why a lot of those old school 80's wrestlers are so fondly remembered, because people remember the gimmicks. 

People will never forget Hacksaw, Macho Man, Jake the Snake... or apparently Kane.

People remember wrestlers for their look and entrance and rarely for their work. Has nothing to do with longevity since those people haven't tuned in since The Era. 

Glenn is solid. For someone his size he can move and when he was younger he did some truly impressive stuff. The problem is he never got a chance to shine in any of his gimmicks since he was emulating either Kevin Nash or Zombie Undertaker his entire career. Also, there's certainly no need for a monster heel to be over-exposed on 250 dates a year. If he had done a few isolated runs instead of being on TV 52 weeks a year, I think he'd have stayed fresher and would be seen in a better light. Tough to defend his career in it's entirety though. The song, the gear, the size, and the entrance are the things that make him memorable. 

Plus, Pete Rose.