Pro Wrestling Only

Announcement: Pilot Season on the Pro Wrestling Only Podcast Feed

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I guess I just committed to giving it a try by ordering a microphone on amazon. So we shall see how it turns out.

I've had three ideas for different podcasts floating around in my head.

1. A look at the Death of the Territories from an economics and business point of view. Most of the shows on the end of the territories focus primarily on the talent leaving. I want to look at the economic situation in the region each promotion was based in and see how that contributed positively or negatively to the demise of the promotion. Additionally I would like to look at the business model of each promotion and see how and if they tried to adapt once the situation became bad, also trying to assess the business skills of each promoter and maybe other key people involved. That of course would take quite a bit of research and would be a limited series, since it really only makes sense for regional promotions.

2. A show discussing wrestling outside of the general mainstream areas of wrestling. Essentially wrestling everywhere that is not US, Mexico, Canada, Japan or the UK. There of course the challenge would be acquiring the viewing material ranging from quite easy for places like Germany or Denmark to incredibly challenging for places like lets say Turkmenistan or Botswana if they even have wrestling. But that would be kind of the point of the show in addition to discussing wrestling from the easier to aquire places. I would see this a monthly show to be able to acquire enough new viewing material, because a weekly show would essentially only allow discussion of places like wXw with only occasional dives into the obscure. Whereas a monthly show allows a good dive into the wrestling in one specific place. Still trying to flesh out the specifics here.

3. Essentially trying to find gold nuggets in a pile of shit. I want to look at the worst most infamous events in wrestling and determine whether they are completely without any merit or if they have some stuff in them that can even be described as very good. This could be a bi-weekly or even weekly format.

All them still need a bit of fleshing out. If anyone is interested in working on these with me hit me up.

I'm interested. Let's discuss.

Awesome to hear. I'll send you a PM.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My idea for wasn't for the weekly GITR to be on the thread.

My idea was to brand my shows that I do with various pundits with a different name such as A Bird's Eye View of the Bubble or something like that where I interview various wrestling fans on the threads and pundits about their fandoms, what got them into wrestling, what got them into trading tapes, ect. I'm not looking to put my weekly show on the actual thread. What I am looking to do is to jumpstart this new project.

Another Idea I had was a Live Watch show of various independent and classic matches and do background pieces around the match,. That podcast would run an hour to an hour and a half depending on length of match.

Those are the two ideas I had

2. Before you start your call, ensure that MP3Recorder is running. SET IT TO RECORD IN MONO. If you don't do this, one host will be on left ear and the other on right ear. To be on safe side, get your co-host ALSO to run it.

Disagree with point 2.

Record in stereo, then convert to mono after editing in Audacity. It allows you to see your side separate and just makes the whole process easier. Bonus points if it's two people it's easier to clear out any background noise too.

AJ Excite still appears to be the only pod ever to go through peak 90s AJ.

I'd love to listen to a historical Japanese wrestling podcast covering everything from the 50s to the 2000s. I just feel like there must be so much to discuss and that there's so much I could learn from listening. There's definitely a gap in the market.

2. Before you start your call, ensure that MP3Recorder is running. SET IT TO RECORD IN MONO. If you don't do this, one host will be on left ear and the other on right ear. To be on safe side, get your co-host ALSO to run it.

Disagree with point 2.

Record in stereo, then convert to mono after editing in Audacity. It allows you to see your side separate and just makes the whole process easier. Bonus points if it's two people it's easier to clear out any background noise too.

Well, yes, that's true. And especially true if you are going to do close editing in post-production.

Disagree with point 2.

Well, yes, that's true. And especially true if you are going to do close editing in post-production.

LOL at actually doing editing

Disagree with point 2.

LOL at actually doing editing

I've always done some editing and would encourage it as best practice. I think especially as the field has got more and more crowded, actually having some decent production values is an easy win.

A lot of people will just turn off in the first three or four minutes if it's all just ramshackle. Also, nothing more annoying than having to deal with complaints about audio quality after the fact.

I agree with that completely although I give things a few tries. There are so many shows now that people have to weed out certain ones in order to maintain a sane life. Two ideas I've always wanted to explore would be a show dedicated to the indys from 02-08ish covering ROH, CZW, I WA, and PWG. Also would cover big matches and happenings in the smaller promotions in a misc segment each show. Another one would be dedicated to the New Generation era of 93-97 covering the 5 big US promotions in that time frame . It might sound like a lot but those are the two projects I'll be starting in at least written form so maybe one day it could be audio as well

We should all be pestering Matt & Stacey about this. Pretty sure the head honchos at PTBN probably came up with this idea as a not so subtle hint to the Parejas Increibles :)

Ah if only the logistics of being in Australia and Baltimore worked out a bit better. They're already in from their GWE stuff should it ever happen.

It's not the timezones so much as Matt and I specifically. He's exclusively available during the day at work, which is smack dab in the middle of the night for me, so it's just the worst kind of timing.

I was so keen for GWE that I sucked it up and recorded through the wee hours, but it's not something I could do on a regular basis.

We should all be pestering Matt & Stacey about this. Pretty sure the head honchos at PTBN probably came up with this idea as a not so subtle hint to the Parejas Increibles :)

Ah if only the logistics of being in Australia and Baltimore worked out a bit better. They're already in from their GWE stuff should it ever happen.

It's not the timezones so much as Matt and I specifically. He's exclusively available during the day at work, which is smack dab in the middle of the night for me, so it's just the worst kind of timing.

I was so keen for GWE that I sucked it up and recorded through the wee hours, but it's not something I could do on a regular basis.

Yeah, sorry guys, my wrestling/work/life balance isn't nearly as settled as a lot of you. I also have this awesome four year old always climbing on my head almost every second I'm at home. I didn't used to be so old.

And here I was about to suggest BROCK TALK where I review every recorded match of Brock Lesnar ever.

Stacey's right though. There's just no time.

(But seriously, Stacey and Elliott doing something would be awesome. They are the great thinkers. Maybe looking at a variety of niche/underexplored on podcasts corners of wrestling from a match analysis POV. Something like "around the world...")

Wrestling365 will record it's pilot during this period.

Wrestling365 will be a daily 15-30 minute show that will be a journal masked as a this day in wrestling review.

Each episode Steven (and somtimes a guest) will watch a match from the history of wrestling that took place that date (example for a January 4th, 2017 episode of the show a match will be picked from say January 4th, 1995 to be reviewed). However, since it's daily, it also have elements of Steven's life being talked about.

Thanks to Charles for the great idea.

If the pilot goes well, this podcast may take place for the entire year of 2017.

I think a podcast (or even just a short series of episodes of another podcast) focused on women's wrestling would be interesting. Most of the high-end stuff on tape is joshi, but I'm sure you could find some interesting topics from the indies and 2000s WWE if you tried. It would probably also help to have a female cohost.

You should definitely pick it up no matter what, but I'm down to do something if you want! PR or whatever. With the success of Between the Sheets, worst case scenario we could read old dvdvrs :)

Please I'd be so pumped for that pod!

I want more Pro Wrestling Super Shows with these Stephen & Tim people! :)

I think a podcast (or even just a short series of episodes of another podcast) focused on women's wrestling would be interesting. Most of the high-end stuff on tape is joshi, but I'm sure you could find some interesting topics from the indies and 2000s WWE if you tried. It would probably also help to have a female cohost.

Well shit if there's one thing I can talk about for hours on end, it's Divas matches from the mid 2000s.