Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Hall of Fame 2017

SteveJRogers

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be really shocked if they went ahead and inducted CM Punk at any period of time.

It'll probably be when he headlines with one last match v. Cena in 2020.

I am going to go ahead and get out in front of this and give that match 8*.

He's deserving by WWE HOF standards, but considering their insistence on using WWF names it's going to be weird seeing the video package on the former NWA Florida champ Irwin R. Schyster.

If he is inducted under that name, I'll assume the video package will just have IRS clips and not acknowledge anything before or after that, except maybe his cameos on Raw.

Neither of you have ever even heard Ace of Spades on the radio? Even classic rock stations play that. And it's been in a ton of ads over the last decade. And Motorhead has been in pretty much every rhythm game over the past decade as well.

The name isn't at all familiar. Not sure what a rhythm game is but am pretty confident I've never played one.

I kind of hope Punk never comes back or gets inducted into the HOF, although I can't picture anyone after like 2005 getting in anyway. I don't think time will look back fondly on Punk, both as a personality outside of the ring and as a talent inside of it.

He's John the Baptist, Daniel Bryan is Jesus, and they have a lot of disciples.

I think his run, when put in perspective, will look very impressive. He basically fought the system and paved the way for a lot of the current big stars to get their shot. That will gain in traction as those guys become TOP GUYS and discuss their influences.

The bubble is strong ITT

Guy has never heard of Lemmy outside of WWE programming. Hasn't heard of Ace of Spades that was used on WWE programming in 2015. Has never heard of Rock Band/Guitar Hero. Yet I was the one getting told I was in a bubble earlier in the thread.

The bubble is strong ITT

Guy has never heard of Lemmy outside of WWE programming. Hasn't heard of Ace of Spades that was used on WWE programming in 2015. Has never heard of Rock Band/Guitar Hero. Yet I was the one getting told I was in a bubble earlier in the thread.

Motorhead is not Radiohead or anything. It's a essentially a metal band and it's very easy for someone to have not known them, even if they heard their songs from time to time. I hear thousands of songs and I have no idea who sings them.

Radiohead is your example of a huge band everyone knows? Lol

This whole thread is a pretty good eye on why wrestling can't get any decent sponsors

Maybe not today, in the 90s and early 2000s yes.

Actually there is no time from the mid 90s till today that Radiohead wasn't 2 thousands times more well known than Motorhead.

More well known, for sure. Even at their absolute peak they weren't some gigantic band setting the world on fire, either. Having never heard of Motorhead outside of WWE programming, not knowing the song Ace of Spades even with it being used on WWE programming a little over a year ago, and not knowing what a rhythm game is probably less common than knowing Radiohead beyond Creep.

I kind of hope Punk never comes back or gets inducted into the HOF, although I can't picture anyone after like 2005 getting in anyway. I don't think time will look back fondly on Punk, both as a personality outside of the ring and as a talent inside of it.

I think his run, when put in perspective, will look very impressive. He basically fought the system and paved the way for a lot of the current big stars to get their shot. That will gain in traction as those guys become TOP GUYS and discuss their influences.

The idea that Punk paved the way for people has always been weird to me. Randy Savage was under 6 feet and got a year long reign in an era where the average guy was 6'4, 300 pounds. The 90s were built around "average" sized (comparatively, obviously) like Austin, Bret, and HBK being the top guys. The 2000s had guys like Angle, Benoit, and Eddie. He didn't do anything to fight the system. He complained about not being given the top guy stuff, then complained when he got the top guy stuff, then left, then complained some more. He didn't change the system. Bryan was going to get his title at some point even if it wasn't going to be at WM 30. There were already tons of indie guys hired and on TV that had nothing to do with Punk. WWE was hiring indie guys in the 90s, too.

WWE really had no choice but to turn more to the indies for talent, because people that would have gone into wrestling a decade before were going into MMA or other sports. That wave of indie guys was coming regardless of if Punk had ever even been hired.

More well known, for sure. Even at their absolute peak they weren't some gigantic band setting the world on fire, either. Having never heard of Motorhead outside of WWE programming, not knowing the song Ace of Spades even with it being used on WWE programming a little over a year ago, and not knowing what a rhythm game is probably less common than knowing Radiohead beyond Creep.

I have no idea what rhythem game is... Creep would depend on your age. Anyone in their mid 30's would know Creep way before Motorhead.

The idea that Punk paved the way for people has always been weird to me. Randy Savage was under 6 feet and got a year long reign in an era where the average guy was 6'4, 300 pounds. The 90s were built around "average" sized (comparatively, obviously) like Austin, Bret, and HBK being the top guys. The 2000s had guys like Angle, Benoit, and Eddie. He didn't do anything to fight the system. He complained about not being given the top guy stuff, then complained when he got the top guy stuff, then left, then complained some more. He didn't change the system. Bryan was going to get his title at some point even if it wasn't going to be at WM 30. There were already tons of indie guys hired and on TV that had nothing to do with Punk. WWE was hiring indie guys in the 90s, too.

WWE really had no choice but to turn more to the indies for talent, because people that would have gone into wrestling a decade before were going into MMA or other sports. That wave of indie guys was coming regardless of if Punk had ever even been hired.

Was it, because at the time the WWF hated indie guys and thought they worked wrong or could never make it. Punk and Bryan with all their talents were thought of as nobodies who couldn't work by the WWE and only got pushed because Punk got so over and Heyman was in his corner.

The WWF was hiring athletes and training them, not turning to indies. They hired Punk but wanted to put him in the Spirit Squad and treat him like the joke they thought he was. Even when he got over they fought in for a long time.

Punk paved the way.