Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Hall of Fame 2017

SteveJRogers

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beth Phoenix is being inducted according to PWI

Why? Rude, DDP, Angle-- I get it. Beth Phoenix? I can't think of any other Diva from that era who would get the least amount of reaction in today's envrionment. Trish was pretty unover and Mickie came out to crickets on Smackdown. I remember stuff Beth did, but there is no way I would watch a 'Best Of' comp or tell future generations about her. I guess this is all about WWE wanting legends from that period that are still alive and can do PR. Not sure many from the Ruthless Aggression Era can be considered that.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Angle induction just seems completely out of the blue. He hasn't been anywhere near WWE since 2006. Did people suspect it was going to happen or what is an out of nowhere surprise?

There have been negotiations and talks of a return for much of the last 5 or so years. Probably the time it looked the closest was right around the end of the Aces & Eights storyline and his final TNA title run/HOF induction.

But he still wanted to be considered a full time performer and the WWE, for his saftey and well being, were looking along the lines of part-time/Legends. And so that was that.

• 2 weeks later...

Two years ago I went to a Memphis nostalgia show that Ricky Morton was on. I got the chance to chat with him for a minute and I said, "Man, I've been watching a lot of 1980 Memphis when you were teaming with Ken Lucas, and you were already the best guy in the territory!" And the cool thing is that my dumb opinion meant something to him, as he didn't just shrug me off and get to the next person paying for an autograph. He put an arm around me and said - "You know why I was that good? Because Ken Lucas taught me how to be. Thank you brother."

Point being, Ricky is a sentimental type and this is going to be a big deal for him and I'm very happy that he will get the moment.

Usually, the fantasy "who will induct who" booking involves contemporaries of the inductee, but WWE does go the route of someone on the current roster to induct once in awhile. I could see them having someone like Heath Slater and Rhyno do some overly scripted piece. I'd rather not, but don't be shocked.