• Ron Garvin
    • Gene Kiniski
    • The Spoiler
    • Owen Hart
    • Hans Schmidt
    • Edge
    • John Tolos
    • Other (specify)

Bret and no one else even comes close. IMO, of the people who primarily worked in the US, he has more great singles matches (****+) than anyone ever except Daniel Bryan. Plus the environment he worked in wasn't exactly conducive to great in ring work so bonus points for that.

Benoit would be second. Followed by Owen, Martel and Jericho (in that order).

Bret and no one else even comes close. IMO, of the people who primarily worked in the US, he has more great singles matches (****+) than anyone ever except Daniel Bryan. Plus the environment he worked in wasn't exactly conducive to great in ring work so bonus points for that.

I'm a hige mark for Bret and this statement is ridiculous to me.

Even Crna has more **** matches.

Bret gets my vote, too, but I did give pretty serious consideration to Abdullah, Kiniski, and Martel.

Here's a question: Does Eduardo Carpentier count as Canadian? He was born in France, but he became a Canadian citizen and he is the face of wrestling in Montreal in much the same way that Stu Hart is the face of wrestling in Calgary. I doubt he would get too any votes but he probably belongs in the conversation.

Well star ratings are very subjective. I have 3 Cena singles matches at **** or higher vs. 10 for Bret at **** or higher.

Are you serious?

Yes. I know you are about to mention Flair so here is some evidence (mind you this is all very subjective):

****+ matches

Bret Hart:

vs. Steve Austin * 2

vs. Davey Boy Smith * 2

vs. Owen Hart

vs. The Undertaker

vs. 123 Kid

vs. Randy Savage

vs. Terry Funk

vs. Diesel

Total: 10

Ric Flair

vs. Steamboat * 3

vs. Morton

vs. DiBiase

Total: 5

One more guy I would add to the list: Don Leo Jonathan!

In terms of "historical" importance, wrestling quality, and how much I personally enjoy their work, my top 5 would be:

Bret

Abdullah

Kiniski

Carpentier

Don Leo

If history is de-emphasized it might be a quite different list.

Also: Please let's not derail this interesting thread with a Bret vs. Flair argument. PLEASE just let that go, or start a new thread for it.

Well star ratings are very subjective. I have 3 Cena singles matches at **** or higher vs. 10 for Bret at **** or higher.

Are you serious?

Yes. I know you are about to mention Flair so here is some evidence (mind you this is all very subjective):

****+ matches

Bret Hart:

vs. Steve Austin * 2

vs. Davey Boy Smith * 2

vs. Owen Hart

vs. The Undertaker

vs. 123 Kid

vs. Randy Savage

vs. Terry Funk

vs. Diesel

Total: 10

Ric Flair

vs. Steamboat * 3

vs. Morton

vs. DiBiase

Total: 5

Actually GAB vs. Terry Funk so make that 6 for Flair. 10 vs. 6

Yes, please as gordi asked, if we need to go down the Bret vs Flair route again, there is a legendary thread in the microscope devoted to that.

I never thought of Don Leo as Canadian tbh, but he's definitely one of the "adopted" ones. And he apparently lives in Langley BC which is literally like a 30 minute drive from me

Ric Flair only had six matches at 4+ level?

In my opinion, yes

Yes, please as gordi asked, if we need to go down the Bret vs Flair route again, there is a legendary thread in the microscope devoted to that if you must.

Wasn't my (or I'm sure Jvk's) intention. Was just defending my seemingly hyperbolic claim with some evidence.

I never thought of Don Leo as Canadian tbh, but he's definitely one of the "adopted" ones. And he apparently lives in Langley BC which is literally like a 30 minute drive from me

I keep forgetting he was born in Utah. He's lived in the Greater Vancouver Area since the early 60s. He was one of the first pro wrestlers I ever met in real life as a very little kid, so in my imagination he's always been a local guy (and a real-life Big Friendly Giant). When I was in the first or second grade he had a pair of matches against Andre that were a very big deal to us little kids who loved wrestling. Of course, none of us were actually able to see anything more than the hype on All Star Wrestling on BCTV (I think the actual "Match of the Century" rematch between them took place in Montreal) but we all talked like we'd seen it and acted it out in the playground.

Out of curiosity, Ricky Jackson, do you know Verne Siebert?

I keep forgetting he was born in Utah. He's lived in the Greater Vancouver Area since the early 60s. He was one of the first pro wrestlers I ever met in real life as a very little kid, so in my imagination he's always been a local guy (and a real-life Big Friendly Giant). When I was in the first or second grade he had a pair of matches against Andre that were a very big deal to us little kids who loved wrestling. Of course, none of us were actually able to see anything more than the hype on All Star Wrestling on BCTV (I think the actual "Match of the Century" rematch between them took place in Montreal) but we all talked like we'd seen it and acted it out in the playground.

Out of curiosity, Ricky Jackson, do you know Verne Siebert?

No, I don't know him. I grew up in Calgary so I'm not familiar with a lot of the old BC wrestling scene. One of my best friends (Travis from my Titans Stampede pods) is tight with the ECCW crew though