Pro Wrestling Only

F4W

Loss

Guest bravesfan

Regarding Henry's work as of late, how much of it is because of the opponents he's working with? Alvarez made a point that the boards are commending Henry on his work with Angle and Rey - "well, it's Angle and Rey, the fuck did you expect?".

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious how many of the people saying "It's Angle..." are the same people that will bash Angle in a match with another notorious good worker. Once again, I think it's the double-standard reering it's ugly head. Either everything he does is flawless or he gets nit-picked apart. What if Henry has a match with Benoit and it stunk? Instead of it being a good match and people saying "It's Benoit, what do you expect" we'd hear "It's Henry, what do you expect?"

Guest DylanWaco

People who say Henry only looked good because of who he was in there with either didn't watch the matches or are so predisposed toward hating Henry that they will never give him credit for anything.

Yeah, that's kind of the point I was trying it make. It's like, what's a wrestler have to do to get a clean slate or a second chance? If you made a bad first impression you're regarded as a shitty worker for life? That doesn't seem fair. Henry hasn't done anything wrong, on TV, since his return. I think he's been playing his role fine and being involved with MNM & Davari will just help his cause more.

I think some people don't really pay attention to the matches and just call things great based on the reputation. If it's Shawn Michaels against Chris Benoit or Kurt Angle, hey, it's got to be great. And if it's Mark Henry versus Big Show, it can't possibly be, because of who they are. Big Show is another worker who's improved substantially, but he'll never be good in some people's eyes because they base "good" on athleticism and not much else. I don't know what more people could really want from Big Show that they don't get at least most of the time.

Meltzer and Alvarez are very guilty of that. In the debate ,you referenced the Cena/Jericho v Christian/Tomko match from last summer. Dave and Bryan didn't say why they thought it was a bad match, they basically said, "Well Cena and Tomko were in the match, of course it sucked". And Bryan's ragging on the Big Show the last 5 or 6 years is the most blatant personal attack on a wrestler by a reporter that I've ever seen. It reeked of jealousy.

Guest DylanWaco

Alvarez lives in an echo chamber, so he never has any reason to rexplore any of his views on anything. Unfortunately he has huge influence as does Meltzer and their opinions on wrestling are almost entirely based around reputations which becomes really evident if you follow any argument they have ever had online (go read some of Dave's embarrasing shit on Classics).

Henry, Masters, Carlito and Show have all improved in recent years, but three of the four are big guys and don't have a ton of MOVES!!! so they'll never get credit.

Guest TheShawshankRudotion

I think it all comes down to what people look for in wrestling matches, and how a lot of people -maybe everyone- has a restricted/limited view where, if they don't see what they are looking for, then it's a bad match, despite there being other positives that can make it a good match in another persons eyes. This also applies to wrestlers. The best we can do when watching wrestling is to look at it from several different angles rather than just one, and even if you think it's a bad match in one regard and you think it's bad, acknowledge that it could be good in this other way, and vice-versa. The problem then comes with sufficiency and acceptability, but if you provide your reasons and whatnot, there really shouldn't be a problem after that.

Guest Famous Mortimer

(go read some of Dave's embarrasing shit on Classics).

I heard about one time when he was defending Ken Shamrock as the greatest fighter in the world in the mid 90s, or something. His argument was piss poor but I was banned from Classics almost instantly so I couldn't discuss it with him. Saying that, if the Angle thread at F4W is anything to go by, none of them (and by this I mean all the sheet writers) are much bothered about actually backing up their suppositions.

Guest Famous Mortimer

He completely fucked up the judging and was never invited back. So we're supposed to take his thoughts on MMA as gospel? I've just been turned down for membership of Classics twice, so I guess I'll never get the chance to have a decent discussion with him about it.

And a few more attempts to draw Bryan into any sort of discussion on...well, anything, have failed. He just criticises my ability to understand "what he really meant". I may give up my subscription if this is all I'm going to get.

• 6 months later...
Guest bravesfan

Not that I should really drag it up, but UFC invited Meltzer back after that specific fight (though he said in the eYada show around that time that "live, he voted for the right man" giving a good explanation of why he voted the way he did). There was an incident with the NJ Athletic Commission that prevented him from judging that subsequent show.

• 5 months later...

I don't know if it's laziness or if it's the ego of being a big shot on the net. I see a lot of people who get well known start to develop the "I don't have to defend my position because I have a column/newsletter/etc" attitude.

Yeah, that attitude is sadly widespread through most of the major columnists. Whether it be Bruce Mitchell taking cheap shots in his forum at DVDVR for calling Mark Henry gasp a good worker now and making the cardinal sin of criticising Angle's and Michaels' work, James Caldwell standing by what he wrote when Dave Meltzer criticised his horrible Bret Hart columns on Figure 4 Daily or Dan Wahlers also slipping in cheap shots to the DVDVR brigade in his most recent column, they are all the same. They treat the outspoken minority who watch wrestling with a critical eye like they do but come to different conclusions than them like delusional idiots, which really encourages bitching and trolling rather than debate and discussion and does their profession a disservice.

Old discussion, but lots of interesting things in it.

One of the interesting things is that Meltzer, Mitchell, Wade and Bryan were all at one time "outsiders" who were critical of pro wrestling in ways that got them hammered by people in the business. Included in that were comments on the concept of "work".

I've been with Dave, Bruce and Wade each when people in the business tried to explain why their match was great *and* watch Dave, Bruce and Wade either disagree openly with those people, or later over food recall how the person was delusional.

They had a different view on "work" than the majority of people in the business *and* the majority of people watching wrestling. But that didn't stop them from being willing to voice their opinions on what they thought was good, what they thought was bad, and why.

They irony now is that despite all their attempts to toss at others the notion that some folks think there's "only one right way to work", it's actually those other folks who are the open minded ones of this era, while they happen to get wound a little tighter in their views.

The Hogan analogies drawn by Loss in the thread are pretty spot on.

John