UNIVERSAL WRESTLING FEDERATION (UWF)

kevinmcfl

HIYxdeH.jpg?4

8/9/1986

COLUMBUS MUNICIPAL AUDITORIUM: COLUMBUS, GEORGIA

(HOUR #2) 

SORRY POSTED SHOWS OUT OF ORDER

THIS SHOULD HAVE COME BEFORE LAST ONE

This hour begins with a replay of what happened to end the first hour as we see KKB hit the ring and save Ted Dibiase’s U.S. title in his match with Dr. Death Steve Williams and then JYD to hit the ring for a major 2-2 brawl. 

After the replay is over Ted Dibiase, King Kong Bundy and Skandar Akbar are at the interview desk. 

Jim Ross:  King Kong Bundy… I am confused.  You know longer work for Mr. Dibiase.  What was that attack on Dr. Death for?

Ted Dibiase:  I will answer that.  You all saw that briefcase that General Akbar gave me to begin our first hour as payment for the services of King Kong Bundy.  Well, I am not only the best wrestler in the world today, I am one hell of a business man.  I gave General Akbar a sort of discount in exchange for his protection whenever I come to the UWF.  I know that Watts would love to cheat me out of my title.  Well now, I have Devastation Inc. watching my back!

Cowboy Bill Watts comes out and he is angry about Dibiase calling him a cheater.  What comes of this exchange is that this week in Nashville it will be Dibiase and KKB vs Dr. Death and JYD! 

Grizzly Boone crushes Jesse James with a Giant Splash

During the entire match, Ross and Brisco are explaining to the audience , that Grizzly has become a real thorn in the side of Ron Wright.  They talk about how Boone stopped the interference of Wright’s Army twice in the last 10 days.  Once leaving the entire Army scattered over the arena floor and the second time how he actually hit Wright with the Giant Splash.  While they are discussing this, Wright, still in a wheelchair, and his entire army surrounds the ring.  It is Bass, Black Bart, Murdoch and Fuller each taking a side of the squared circle.  Before anything happens Terry Taylor, Bullet Bob Armstrong, Brad Armstrong and Jeff Jarrett slide into the ring.  With the numbers advantage now in favor of the babyfaces, Wright calls for a retreat.

To a loud ovation, the fan favorites come over to the interview area where they are all confident that they have Ron Wright on the ropes.  Terry Taylor hypes up his match this week against Dick Murdoch for the Continental Title as does Bullett and his match with the Tennessee Stud. 

The UWF tag champs, Brad and JJ, hype up their upcoming title match in the Boutwell Auditorium vs the Midnight Express. 

COMMERCIAL 

U.S. Express (Windham & Rotundo) defeat the Foreign Assassins (Cuban & Iranian) with the Running Bulldog from Windham

Fans really enjoyed this one as the U.S. Express seems to be just what the UWF needed to deal with of these foreign heels.

Iceman Parsons beats Killer Brooks with the Butt Bump

Both Brisco and Ross seem to have some concern for Iceman as he goes into his match against Nikita Koloff this week in Nashville.  When reminded that Nikita promised that each of his opponents will leave the ring on a stretcher until he gets a UWF title shot, Iceman said that he has never been carried out on a stretcher before and he is not about to start now! 

COMMERCIAL 

Hacksaw Butch Reed defeats the Warlord with Skandar Akbar as he connects with a Spear

During the match, Hacksaw is joined by his Doom teammate, Ron Simmons, as Akbar tried on numerous occasions to interfere in the match.  At the interview desk, Simmons and Reed are all fired up about their match with Devastation Inc this week in Nashville. 

Cowboy Bill Watts comes out and is proud to announce that the UWF and Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling have once again partnered with the Tennessee State Fair to run Music City Mayhem which will include the Music City Bowl singles and tag team tournaments, each belt of the UWF and MACW being defended, and all champions facing off against each other for a shot at the NWA World Champion and Tag Team Champions.  Watts explains that this event will take place during the fair and run from Sept.12 to Sept 21! 

COMMERCIAL 

The Midnight Express with Jim Cornette defeats Memphis Vice as Eaton hit the Alabama Jammer 

At the interview desk, Cornette is full of laughter as we see a quick video of him punching and kicking Dick Slater all around the ring last week in the Omni.

Jim Cornette:  Last week Cowboy Bill Watts thought he had me.  He handcuffed me to his smelly fat body and thought that Dick Slater was going to take me out.  Well my mother always told me how tough I was and now Dick Slater found out that she is never been wrong!

Jack Brisco:  Oh give me a break.  Bubba Rogers violently attacked Slater with his nightstick before you even got in the ring.  You were fighting a man who was knocked out and truthfully, I was still surprised Slater didn’t hurt you.

Jim Cornette:  Watch it Brisco.  You might be the next to feel my wrath.  Speaking of wrath… this week in Birmingham at the Boutwell Auditorium, the UWF is going to feel the wrath of the greatest group of wrestlers ever established.  Big Bubba is going to take care of Dick Slater once and for all and then the Midnight Express, the greatest tag team in professional wrestling today, Beautiful Bobby and Lover Boy Denis are going to beat those spoiled brats, Brad Armstrong and Jeff Jarrett, to within an inch of their lives and take those UWF tag team titles! 

Jim Ross:  Watch out!

Dick Slater comes out swinging a night stick!  Cornette saw it out of the corner of his eye and ducked just in time.  Corny then took off running with Slater in hot pursuit.

The last camera picture of the night saw Big Bubba Rogers lying in a heap in one of the corners of the arena looking like he was holding his head.

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very smart move on Dibiase's part to have Destruction Inc watch his back especially with JYD and Dr. Death gunning for him. Yea, Grizzly Boone is on fire and now he's found some allies. Wright better watch out! Good wins for US Express and Ice Man. I'm still a little worried about Ice Man's upcoming match with Nikita. Doom could be big trouble for Akbar's men. Great ending with Slater swinging around a nightstick! Looks like Bubba felt the wrath. 

DiBiase proves to be much smarter than Watts gives him credit for.  That tag looks great BTW.  Once again, I know Wright is going to have an answer to this.  And not one that anybody is going to like.  U.S. Express is really getting over with this angle.  And they would in Watts country.  Iceman's confidence is great, but this is Nikita we're talking about.  Doom vs. Devastation is a good, Watts style hoss feud.  That joint event between MACW and UWF is going to be great, can't wait to see what you guys do.  Seriously?  JJ & Brad against the Midnights?  Your tag team division is so damn loaded sir.  I love it.  Also, did Corny really think Slater would take this lying down?

MAJOR UWF SHOWS FOR THE WEEK OF 8/11/86 

NASHVILLE:  TENNESSEE STATE FAIR GROUNDS

Warlord with Skandar Akbar beats Scott Doring with Diving Clothesline after Akbar tripped up Royal.

Sean Royal beats Killer Brooks with a top rope knee drop

Devils Duo beat Rocky Iaukea and Lou Winston (Iaukea subbing for Jerry Bryant) with some questionable tactics

Devastation Inc (Haku & Barbarian) with Skandar Akbar wrestled Doom (Simmons & Reed) to a DCO as the two teams fought all over the building.  Nikita Koloff beat Iceman Parsons with a stretcher job as he just picking up Iceman for another Russian Sickle.  Eventually Magnum T.A. rushed down and threw in the white towel.  T.A. and Nikita just starred each other down.

Rock n Roll Express & Buddy Landell with Jack Brisco vs the Fab Ones and Lex Luger ended with a 20 minute draw that saw each person have time to shine.  After the match, Baby Doll once again slapped Buddy Landell but he did not respond.  The Midnight Express and the Rock n Roll Express obviously have some unfinished business and it is starting to look like Luger and Landell are beginning something.

NWA US Champ Ted Dibaise and King Kong Bundy with Skandar Akbar defeated Dr. Death Steve Williams and JYD as Bundy hit JYD with an Atlantic City Avalanche.  This happened after Akbar distracted the ref and Dibiase hit Dr. Death with the loaded black glove.  With Williams out of the action, Dibiase slugged JYD with the glove and then KKB finished it of with his finisher.

Magnum T.A. & Jerry Lawler defeated Ivan Koloff and Ole Anderson as T.A. and Lawler got some revenge on this group for Nikita’s earlier beating of Iceman.  Once T.A. and Lawler got the advantage, they both doubled down on their finishers as T.A. hit two belly to belies on Koloff and Lawler hit two piledrivers on Anderson.  The crowd went wild as T.A. and Lawler pinned both Anderson and Koloff.

BIRMINGHAM:  BOUTWELL AUDITORIUM

Atlantis defeats the Iranian Assassin with a Top Rope Plancha

Grizzly Boone crushed Jesse James with a Giant Splash

U.S. Express (Windham & Rotundo) beat the Long Riders with Ron Wright by DQ as Black Bart hit Windham in the ribs with the branding iron

Ron Fuller with Ron Wright defeated Bob Armstrong with the Fuller Leg Lock.  Wright weakened Armstrong’s leg as he road over it with his wheelchair.  It certainly seemed like Wright was healthy enough as he seemed to pick it up on drop it across the Bullet.

Dirty Dick Slater and Big Bubba Rogers with Jim Cornette wrestled to a DDQ as the ref just lost control.  In the end, Slater connected with some big right hands to drop Rogers.  He then went after Corny who once again escaped and avoided a beating.

UWF CONTINENTAL TITLE MATCH:  Terry Taylor defeated Dick Murdoch Ron Wright by DQ in a match that saw Ron Wright had a foreign object to Murdoch who clocked Taylor and then he followed it up with the Brainbuster and appeared to get a three count to win the belt.  Murdoch slipped the foreign object into his shorts.  All of a sudden the crowd erupted as Jerry Lawler came to the ring and explained to the ref Jerry Calhoun.  Wright and Murdoch denied it but in Tennessee, Lawler gets what he wants.  Calhoun searched Murdoch and found the object and he reversed his decision.

UWF TAG TITLE MATCH:  The Midnight Express with Jim Cornette defeated Brad Armstrong & Jeff Jarrett as Corny hit Brad with the tennis racket and Eaton rolled him up with a grab of the tights.  **** Title Change

Dusty Finish is always effective, no matter which promotion you use it. Eventually, someone will get their hands on Cornette and it won't be pretty. And he's gonna have more than Slater to deal with now that he cost Brad Armstrong & Jeff Jarrett the UWF Tag Titles!

Good wins for Warlord, Royal and Devils Duo. Looks like Doom-Haku/Barbarian is far from over. Magnum saves Ice Man from the wrath of Nikita. Cant wait for that explosive match. Classic Mid South 6 man tag that ends in a draw and keeps the feuds going. That cheating Dibiase pulled out all the tricks to get that win. That finish to the main event would of blown the roof off the place. 

Atlantis continues to rack up wins. Boone decimates his opponent. After Bart using the branding iron, I'm sure the US Express aren't done with the Long Riders. Fuller gets the best of Bullet Bob, thanks to the miraculous healing of Wright. Fun brawl between Slater and Bubba. I feel for Cornette when Slater eventually gets his hands on him. I think Lawler just made Murdoch's hit list. Title change! I figured it wouldn't be long before the Midnight's got some gold again. This should set up some fun rematches.  

I like the squash wins for guys who needed them in Nashville.  Devastation and Doom would have been one Hell of a battle.  Poor Iceman, yet another victim in NIkita's path.  Surprised Baby Doll is still looking to make Landell angry.  KKB getting a win over the Dog is big.  I know JYD will have something to say there.  Also, good call on going with KKB as the obstacle to DiBiase here.  JYD might not be able to go 10+ anymore, but you don't need a long match with KKB and JYD.  Awesome finish to the main that would have had the Nashville crowd on their feet!

Your build of both Boone and Atlantis has been awesome.  Looks like the U.S. Express have their first major feud.  Wright must be feeling better from all the fan love he gets every week.  You know, all those fans who never show up to the arena who love Ron Wright and send their well wishes and money.  Run away Corny, once Dick Slater gets done with you there won't be much left.  Very Memphis finish to that Taylor/Murdoch match.  My guess is the same as spaldoni's, we are going to see Lawler vs. Murdoch.  YAY!!  Midnights get some tag gold.  Finally!!  That Alabama crowd might have actually cheered a little when hometown boy Bobby Eaton got his hand raised.

I'm torn between the last two pages of dialog here about the JYD. While I like how he was used here and love the DiBiase and Bundy deal on this page. The page prior to this seems to indicate that Dog was fizzled out by 1986. Which raises two questions. If this is fantasy, why are we basing things off of how he was booked in WWF land for the 84-86 period. JYD left MSW on top in 84 IRL, and was questionably the second hottest face behind Hogan early on in his WWF run. I tend to believe that it was partially Hogan's doing to keep the JYD from getting TOO over. Of course, add Dog's own demons and body shape to that as well. Dog was over like rover, no pun intended in 1985, and even into 1986. He can lose and save face, like here against Bundy and Ted, I don't think I'd personally book a rookie over him though.

Lots of times people think if they book stars to job to rookies that it will get the rookie over, but more times than not it's the opposite and backfires. It's been proven through history. Without a build to take the rookie seriously, it really doesn't work and fans tend to revolt. Knowing what Luger will/would become it's a little more digestible. Also, with it being in Atlanta vs. New Orleans the fans wouldn't have rioted nearly as much. But still I think I would have given Luger a little more of a track record to get that win. I'm sure if the JYD is on his way out he will still be utilized somewhere. 1986 JYD still has legs to stand on, he had a tremendous charisma and matches with Terry Funk in 86. And while you can credit Funk for the bumping, it takes two to tango!

HIYxdeH.jpg?4

8/16/1986

AGUSTA-RICHMOND COUNTY CIVIC CENTER:  AUGUSTA, GEORGIA

(HOUR #1) 

The show opens with a montage from last week’s show in the Boutwell Auditorium in Birmingham, Alabama where we see highlights of the UWF Tag title match where the Midnight Express with Jim Cornette defeated Brad Armstrong & Jeff Jarrett as Corny hit Brad with the tennis racket and Eaton rolled him up with a grab of the tights. 

Hello everybody.  Welcome to UWF Wrestling. We are coming to you from Augusta-Richmond Civic Center in Augusta, Georgia.    I am Jim Ross and my partner today is once again wrestling legend Jack Brisco.  Well fans, you just saw it.  Brad Armstrong and Jeff Jarrett could not regain their UWF Tag Team Championship. 

Jim Ross is interrupted by Jim Cornette and the Midnight Express.

Jim Cornette:  Like I told everyone time and time again.  The Midnight Express, Beautiful Bobby and Loverboy Denis, are the greatest tag team in professional wrestling today.  There was never any doubt that we would beat those two spoiled brats, Brad Armstrong and Jeff Jarrett. 

Jack Brisco:  Yeah you are right Cornette, there was never any doubt after you cracked Brad over the head with your tennis racket. 

Jim Cornette:  Watch your mouth Brisco.  My tennis racket is worth much more than an Armstrong’s head.   

U.S. Express (Windham & Rotundo) defeats Scott Doring & Ken Raper with the Running Bulldog by Windham 

At the interview desk, the U.S. Express are asked what they think about the new UWF tag champs, the Midnight Express.  Both Windham and Rotundo belief that their title reign is going to be a short one as Brad and JJ will get those belts back this week in Memphis but if for some reason they don’t, Rotundo and Windham would love a title shot just to shut Cornette up. 

COMMERCIAL 

Dick Murdoch with Ron Wright (out of his wheelchair) defeats Albert Deny with a Brainbuster 

Ron Wright:  Turn my microphone up right now. Turn it UP!

Jim Ross:  I have no control of your microphone Mr. Wright.

Ron Wright:  I doubt that.  Everyone around here is out to control my Army.  What happened last week in Nashville was UWF thieving at its best!  I mean that two bit loser Jerry Lawler comes to ringside at talks one of his crony refs into reversing his decision and gave Terry Taylor back his UWF Continental Title after Dick Murdoch won it fair and square.

Jack Brisco:  Come on Ron.  You tossed Murdoch some sort of foreign object and he got caught.  All Lawler did was stand up for what is right.

Dick Murdoch:  What is right is for a man to fight his own battles.  I beat the snot out of Terry Taylor and the ref counted his shoulders down for the three count and then Jerry Lawler comes prancing down to the ring where his nose don’t belong.  I know what would have happened to guy if he done that down in West Texas and it might include a long stay in a hospital.  Well I think I am going to come up to your own home down this week and teach you people in Tennessee what a man really looks like,

Jim Ross:  Dick Murdoch… Are you challenging Jerry “the King” Lawler” to a match in his home town?

Dick Murdoch:  I am not challenging him.  I am inviting him to beating!

As Murdoch storms off, Brisco and Ross discuss how even though Ron Wright’s enemies seem to be growing in number, Ron Wright might just have the horses to quiet those people down. 

Bob Armstong defeats Verlon with the Georgia Jawbreaker

We find out that it will be a tough task for the Bullet this week as his next match will be against the Russian Nightmare.  Ross reminds Bob that Iceman Parsons was out here last week saying all the right things but he is not here today as he was carried out on a stretcher from his match with Nikita last week in Nashville.

Bob Armstrong:  I know Nikita is fighting mad about losing his World title and he is out to make a point.  Well my mama raised me to never back down from a fight and I am going to give it everything I got for all those fans who are giving it everything they got at their jobs.  I didn’t come from much and know that American grit has gotten me to where I am today and I am not going to allow some Russian take that away from me or these fans.

COMMERCIAL

The Demon (Brian Adams in a red mask) defeats Lou Winston with a Heart Punch

Jim Ross wants to get to the bottom of why the Demon joined forces last week and attacked Atlantis.

The Demon:  Our manager said that Atlantis tried to embarrass Devil’s Duo and that there is room for only one masked man in the UWF.

Jack Brisco:  Who is your manager?  I didn’t see anyone with you at ringside?

The Demon simply walks off without answering the question. 

Doom crushes Tom Stone & Rocky Iaukea

Brisco and Ross discuss last week’s war from the Nashville between Doom and Devastation Inc that ended in a DDQ.  Both announcers know there is more to come and just how dangerous the feud between Doom, JYD and Dr. Death are in against Skandar Akbar and his army.

From out of nowhere, Akbar’s entire stable hits the ring but JYD and Dr. Death seem to have been expecting this and are out in no time and the weekly brawl is on. One thing is for sure, Akbar’s addition of KKB might have swayed the odds in his favor.  This one ends with the evil forces in control of the ring.  Brisco and Ross wonder how JYD is going to fare against the Bundy this week in the Mid-South Coliseum.   

COMMERCIAL

Jerry Lawler is at the interview desk where he is laughing at the threats made earlier by Dick Murdoch that he was going to crush him this week in Memphis.

Jerry Lawler:  I mean this is getting ridiculous.  Week after week we listen to that so-called manager, Ron Wright, saying he is going to clean up wrestling by getting rid of the unchristianed and then each week we seem him cheat like a river boat card dealer on the Mississippi.  What Wright and Murdoch did last week by trying to steal Terry Taylor’s belt and when I pointed that out to ref Jerry Calhoun he did the right thing.  As for me, the King of Memphis, being afraid of Murdoch just because he is from West Texas.  He must be out of his mind.  West Texas is the place where men are men and cows are afraid! 

Nikita Koloff stretchers Mike Hendricks after multiple Russian Sickles 

The post-match interview is quick as Ivan Koloff just reminds Cowboy Bill Watts that all of these injuries to American wrestlers by Nikita can be stopped by just giving the Russian Nightmare what he rightfully deserves which is a UWF title match with Magnum T.A. 

Sean Royal defeats Tim Brooks with a Top Rope Knee Drop

Cornette and the Midnight Express are riding high again. Looks like the US Express are next in line. Murdoch as expected calls out Lawler. When Murdoch is on his game, he's a dangerous man especially with Wright in his corner. Lawler seems to be ready for the fight. I have to say, I'm a little concerned for Bob Armstrong. No doubt he's one tough man but Nikita is on a rampage right now. I wonder who's managing The Demon and Devil's Duo? It wouldn't be a UWF show without a brawl. JYD, Dr. Death and Doom going at it with Akbar's men is UWF at it's best. Ivan reminds everybody of Nikita's path of destruction towards Magnum TA. Sean Royal continues to stack up wins. 

Your Cornette interviews are always entertaining.  The U.S. Express vs. the Midnights would be a good feud.  Not the level of the RnRs, but what is?  Wright Murdoch and Lawler sounds like a great match and the interview Murdoch and Wright did set it up perfectly.  Bob Armstrong playing to the common people won't save him against Nikita.  Who IS the Demon/Devil's Duo's manager??  Still loving the idea of JYD vs. Bundy.  Great promo from Lawler.  It really captured the way he would weave little jokes into his promos.