Pro Wrestling Only

ThROH The Years: A ROH retrospective podcast

Hobbes

8 hours ago, El Dragon said:

Fun story. The AJ Styles performance on this show has held as an inside joke between me and a lot of old RoH fans as the single worst example of limb selling we had ever seen. The fact that it took place in the middle of a "Pure Wrestling" tournament made it even more egregious to me. Boy did that Springboard 450 in the Stryker match absolutely silly.

Luckily AJ Styles learned over time.... unlike Seth Rollins.

When we started doing ThROH The Years I thought "I am going to get a lot of shit for not loving AJ Styles" because I remembered not liking him a ton in the early years of ROH. Then, rewatching the shows, I was shocked at how much I enjoyed AJ's performances and how he wasn't like I remembered, his stuff from the first couple years of ROH has aged really well for the most part.

But this show, this was the AJ I had remembered/misremembered.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Hobbes said:

When we started doing ThROH The Years I thought "I am going to get a lot of shit for not loving AJ Styles" because I remembered not liking him a ton in the early years of ROH. Then, rewatching the shows, I was shocked at how much I enjoyed AJ's performances and how he wasn't like I remembered, his stuff from the first couple years of ROH has aged really well for the most part.

But this show, this was the AJ I had remembered/misremembered.

I honestly think this match being so close to the end of his main RoH run and gaining the reputation among some fans that it did impacted his reputation long term. Many RoH fans at that time were not watching TNA on principal at the time.

• 1 month later...

https://soundcloud.com/prowrestlingonly/throh-the-years-episode-36-at-our-best

It's here, ThROH The Years returns for an episode unlike any other. On this mammoth length episode Matt and Trevor cover the entire Rob Feinstein scandal. The backstory, the fallout, it's three hours in itself. Then we cover At Our Best, a major show with one of the best and bloodiest modern cage matches, Ricky Steamboat and Dusty Rhodes! Put on a bib, it's a heavy duty episode.

On 7/1/2019 at 9:12 PM, Hobbes said:

https://soundcloud.com/prowrestlingonly/throh-the-years-episode-36-at-our-best

It's here, ThROH The Years returns for an episode unlike any other. On this mammoth length episode Matt and Trevor cover the entire Rob Feinstein scandal. The backstory, the fallout, it's three hours in itself. Then we cover At Our Best, a major show with one of the best and bloodiest modern cage matches, Ricky Steamboat and Dusty Rhodes! Put on a bib, it's a heavy duty episode.

And you claimed it wouldn't live up to the hype.  This is podcast magic.  Congrats boys!

• 4 weeks later...

It's a new era for ROH and ThROH The Years as this episode Matt and Trevor cover Reborn: Stage One. A reset for the company, there's a lot of booking to talk about, a mind-blowing instance of something years earlier than you'd expect and the second death of a beloved podcast streak. Also CM Punk vs. Bryan Danielson and Samoa Joe vs. Homicide! Oh, and Trevor reveals what his name would be if he was a wrestler.

https://soundcloud.com/prowrestlingonly/throh-the-years-episode-37-roh-reborn-stage-one

Super excited to get to the era of RoH that made me fall in love with the company. 

Regarding the man on women violence thing, I am curious on your stance on how it’s utilized for the most part for the next little while. It is still done here and there, but it’s usually a heel doing it to basically put over how monstrous they are. 

• 4 weeks later...

Well...we officially end the man on woman violence counter with this episode:

ThROH The Years is here to close out another summer by covering Reborn: Stage Two. We've brought back Dr.Keith Lipinski (AAW, Dr.Keith Presents) to revisit a show he attended. We talk the first ever Danielson/Homicide match, a big title change main event, dirty bathroom floors, pinatas, and get the scoop on the poop (angle).

• 1 month later...

Matt, Trevor and Boston correspondent Joe Gagne have arrived to see the completion of a trilogy on this episode of ThROH The Years. We cover Round Robin Challenge 3, which includes three tag title changes, the return of Spanky, the loudest slap in wrestling history and...Ox Baker? Fall is here so get cozy, sip your warm drink and then, and only then, press play.

18 minutes ago, MFoy said:

I say yes. Telling someone to go back to where they came from is racist.

I dunno man. If it was against Smokes, hell yeah, that’s super racist. Nana literally ran a gimmick of being a prince of an African country he would claim to return too when not working shows, while running down how awful the American towns he worked were every show. He might literally be the only wrestling character I don’t buy that line being racist against, or at least arguable that Ox was at least just saying “go back to your kingdom” or something of that.

• 3 weeks later...

ThROH The Years is here to soothe your frazzled nerves as this time we cover Generation Next. It's a landmark show that features the formations of one of the greatest indie stables of all time. We break it all down but far more importantly, we rank all four members of the stable by physical attractiveness. This was a great episode.

https://soundcloud.com/prowrestlingonly/throh-the-years-episode-40-generation-next

• 1 month later...

Joe vs. Punk,Cameras vs. Dust. ThROH The Years covers one of the most important matches in ROH history up to this point and much more on the World Title Classic show. Does mustard slide off a hot dog? Why is everyone in the parking lot? Why doesn't Homicide wrestle? We answer at least two of those questions and more on this episode.

https://soundcloud.com/prowrestlingonly/throh-the-years-episode-41-world-title-classic

• 1 month later...

ThROH The Years is here to kick off 2020 with the very first Survival of the Fittest. We go into the crazy history behind this show and cover the card itself, featuring breakout performances for Austin Aries and Jay Lethal. How flexible is Jack Evans? What is the Contender's Circle/Ring? What kitchen appliance is Bryan Danielson like? Tune in to find out.

• 1 month later...

ThROH The Years is here to wrap up a rebirth with our review of Reborn: Completion. It's a show with a ton of interesting angles including the return of Low Ki and the end of the Steamboat/Punk saga. Of course, we still find time to talk about when the Briscoes got good looking, Roderick Strong's baby fat, and crotch money.

https://soundcloud.com/prowrestlingonly/throh-the-years-episode-43-roh-reborn-completion

• 1 month later...

Hey, not allowed to leave your home? Let this lean and mean episode of ThROH The Years distract you with tales of Death Before Dishonor 2, Night One. This is a sneaky good show with a bunch of very good matches, including the end of both the Joe/Homicide and Saints/Briscoe feuds! Wash your hands, stay away from people and enjoy.

https://soundcloud.com/prowrestlingonly/throh-the-years-episode-44-death-before-dishonor-2-night-1

• 2 weeks later...

Pandemics mean more pods! We're already back with a new ThROH The Years reviewing Death Before Dishonor 2, Part 2! An amazingly consistent show with a who's who of indie stars. Low Ki works heel! Cabana wrestles Joe for the title! Head magnets! And it is all topped off with one of the most violent matches in ROH history. There's no need to leave home when you have us to keep you company!

https://soundcloud.com/prowrestlingonly/throh-the-years-episode-45-death-before-dishonor-2-night-2

• 2 weeks later...

ThROH The Years is going to go the distance by reviewing Testing The Limit, a show featuring a marathon 76 minute Aries/Danielson match that puts Matt and Trevor's voices to their own test. In our longest match review to date, we cover this bout from so many angles, you're going to think it's geometry class. Plus we cover the rest of the show too!

https://soundcloud.com/prowrestlingonly/throh-the-years-episode-46-testing-the-limit

That whole "2:55 hour match" story always seemed weird to me:

(1) The show itself would have gone at least five hours (considering that on the 3 h tape, they cut the Samoa Joe vs. Trent Acid match down to 1 minute and basically cut out all entrances, plus there was also an intermission). I don't know when the show started, but considering that it was on a Saturday, I am sure that they did not start before 7:30 PM or so. So did they plan the show to go past midnight? As the whole idea seems to be one that they came up relatively shortly before the show, they also did not adjust the start time of the show accordingly.

(2) I did not feel like they were losing the crowd during the first fall. The crowd was into the match 35 minutes in like they were 5 minutes in. They were losing the crowd in the second fall, however (but at that point the decision to go home much earlier was obviously already taken).

Regarding the down-time spot in the second fall: while it definitely killed the flow to some degree, the spot looked horrific enough, that you could easily believe AD to be legitimately being knocked out (at least if Gabe would not shouted "dangerous").

I would normally doubt a story like the "We were going to try a nearly three hour match" one, except for the fact that Danielson seems like one of the more honest guys in wrestling and the story isn't one that really serves a point in making up. I can only assume if they had gone through with it the show would've been a double DVD release, as ROH would occasionally do. The show clearly wasn't booked with a three-hour match in mind, but unless it's a one match show, I don't know how you can book with a three-hour match in mind. There were definitely more edits to the undercard than normal to make things fit, but it didn't seem like an obscene amount of edits. Some entrances cut, a few minutes out of an undercard match, and the already short Joe/Acid match clipped down to a minute or two of highlights. Based on that, it feels like Gabe was likely already budgeting for Aries/Danielson to go longer than the average ROH main event, but obviously not as long as the match ended up being.

As for the crowd, I never thought they lost them either, but sometimes things play differently on tape than they do live. I know live reports said a few fans, not many, but a few, left, and I think the report sent into the Observer mentioning the murmuring of fan conversations. That quote Gabe gave about thinking the only way a three hour match could work would be in front of a small, invite-only crowd of your hardest core fans came after the 76 minute match took place, so however the crowd was live, it clearly didn't convince Gabe that they could've pulled it off.

I think I liked the Danielson dive knockout spot more than most, or at the very least, didn't dislike it as much as Matt and others did. The only thing that really bugged me about it was between Aries arguing with the ref to do something about a KOed Danielson and the commentary basically agreeing that the match should be stopped, it did create a brief weird vibe where you've got Danielson selling like he's dead, and everyone else but the ref basically saying "What the fuck is the ref doing?"

• 2 weeks later...

ThROH The Years keeps its hot streak going covering Scramble Cage Melee with Joe Gagne! Homicide, CM Punk and Samoa Joe battle for a meaningless privilege, an insane cage match happens, a title changes hands, and Mark Nulty says a lot of things. Grab a piece of chain link and shake, you're about to be entertained.

https://soundcloud.com/prowrestlingonly/throh-the-years-episode-47-scramble-cage-melee

• 4 weeks later...

ThROH The Years is back during troubled times. We address what's been going on in the world and then review Glory By Honor 3, a show featuring the debut of Mick Foley, the return of Steve Corino, dream matches that underachieve, other matches than overachieve, and a hippy concert playing in the background! We also take a break in the middle of the show to talk about how crazy the 2004 IWA-MS TPI tournament was. Stay strong.

https://soundcloud.com/prowrestlingo...ory-by-honor-3

• 3 weeks later...

ThROH The Years soldiers on with a review of the Midnight Express Reunion show. It features Samoa Joe vs. Bryan Danielson, breakout performances for Jay Lethal and Nigel McGuinness, and Ricky Morton being a great heel. Also, Matt sings. Also, there are literal fireworks before the main event. On the podcast, not the event. Also: The Panther.

https://soundcloud.com/prowrestlingo...xpress-reunion

• 4 weeks later...

ThROH The Years and ROH both turn 50 in an episode where we cover ROH Gold, a B-Show with a lot of little interesting stories and a Homicide/CM Punk match that both bangs and slaps. We also cover Problematic Chad Collyer, Woke Gabe, and threatening to tell Ricky Steamboat about what you did. Thanks for all the support for fifty episodes!

https://soundcloud.com/prowrestlingo...de-50-roh-gold

• 2 weeks later...

Joe vs. Punk II. On episode 51 of ThROH The Years Matt and Trevor cover the most important match in the first three years of ROH. In one of our most detailed reviews ever we cover the story behind the match, our own thoughts, and the reactions from wrestling media. We also cover the rest of the show too, because we're nice like that.

https://soundcloud.com/prowrestlingo...joe-vs-punk-ii