Pro Wrestling Only

Edge

stro

Inexplicably pushed to that level to start with. Once he was pushed to that level, most of his heat on Raw as derived from Lita, and most of his heat on SD was derived from Vickie. I'm not sure there was ever a period in his career where he didn't need someone to play off of to make him look better. It's very obvious the decision that Edge was going to be a top guy was made in 2002 at the latest, and fans totally rejected the idea in 2003-2005 until the Matt/Lita thing happened. Yet, it never stopped them from pushing him hard. That's what is inexplicable to me. That they picked a dude who clearly wasn't as good as the people he was paired with, who was very average in the ring and mic, who wasn't particularly attractive either....someone high up decided he was going to be a main eventer and didn't stop until he became a "legend".

Edge's push in modern WWE would have as hard of a backlash as Roman's, except he's not nearly as good in the ring as Roman has proven to be over the past 2-3 years.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He and Hunter I find very similar, particularly in the sense that most of the time their alleged heat is being produced by someone else. Hunter had Chyna, DX, Steph, Shawn, Evolution. Edge had Christian, Lita, Vickie. He rarely had to go it alone, and when he did ( 2004e, 2010 for example) he was awful as a character and way less over.

Vickie was one of the best heels of the century, and one of the main reasons why is that she gave Edge heat and relevance for so long.

First off, can we talk about how fucking horrible wrestling fans are that they turned a beloved star's WIDOW into the top heel for like 5 years? Like, wtf.

But back to Edge. The HHH comparison doesn't hold water with me after he went solo as a heel. Yes, Chyna and then DX as a whole buoyed him in 1997-1998. Stephanie and Evolution certainly did not.

First off, can we talk about how fucking horrible wrestling fans are that they turned a beloved star's WIDOW into the top heel for like 5 years? Like, wtf.

Who are you talking about?

I'm talking about Vickie Guerrero and how much fans hated her so much they had to turn her heel

Years later, a much better talent in Wade Barrett had the same injury problems & didn't get the near the level of promotion. Barrett might not have made money for WWE, near did Edge really, but he would have been far more successful on top as a talent because he was way better than Edge.

I feel like this is a step way too far. Barrett on any given night was usually the worst guy in the ring. I don't see any way he was "way better" than Edge and I'm not an Edge fan. Barrett sucked.

I wouldn't say Barrett sucked but he got really over rated because people wanted to believe their bullshit narrative about how Cena ruined the next top guy. But you can't say anything about Edge being "fragile" or "injury prone" and spare Barrett the same criticism. I would rather watch a Barrett match than an Edge match though because Edge was fucking garbage.

Barrett didn't really find his groove as an in ring worker until after his ship had well and truly sailed. There's a lot of quality in the 2012-2015 period. But in 2010 that was irrelevant, he came in as a genuinely good promo and performer and an interesting character, and they DID fuck him up and not give him nearly as many chances as Edge got.

Years later, a much better talent in Wade Barrett had the same injury problems & didn't get the near the level of promotion. Barrett might not have made money for WWE, near did Edge really, but he would have been far more successful on top as a talent because he was way better than Edge.

I feel like this is a step way too far. Barrett on any given night was usually the worst guy in the ring. I don't see any way he was "way better" than Edge and I'm not an Edge fan. Barrett sucked.

Completely disagree. I thought Barrett was a really good worker.

I wouldn't say Barrett sucked but he got really over rated because people wanted to believe their bullshit narrative about how Cena ruined the next top guy. But you can't say anything about Edge being "fragile" or "injury prone" and spare Barrett the same criticism. I would rather watch a Barrett match than an Edge match though because Edge was fucking garbage.

I didn't spare Barrett the same criticism. If it came across that way, it's not what I meant. I meant they were both injury prone, but for two guys who were Barrett was much better.

Also one guy got pushed at the top of the card for 6 years, with wins over every top guy of the era, 11 championships, and retired a legend. The other guy had a 6 month push, got turned into a joke then an actual comedy character for the next few years, retired and was never mentioned again.

Better worker:

Triple H or Edge?

Alberto Del Rio or Edge?

Randy Orton or Edge? (holy shit Rated-RKO was boring)

Cody Rhodes or Edge? :D

Edge always sort of reminded me of seeing guys like Dino Bravo when watching old wrestling shows. Like he's always there and I never really care. Never struck me as a main eventer, despite how much they used him. Good for him that he's in the Hall of Fame but the credibility of that will always be questioned anyway. Speaking of Hall of Fame:

Koko B. Ware or Edge? B)

I liken Edge a lot to how I see Kane, actually. Not a great worker, continually around the top of the card but you never really care about him all that much. He's just kinda there.

Kane or Edge?

I find Edge to be mostly inoffensive. He's still probably Cena's signature opponent after all these years which is saying something. I also don't think him being on top for 6 years is really that big a deal when you consider the promotion had 2 brands at the time and he alternated between the two. That was also an era where the top of the card was kind of in transition. He was also in the promotion for almost a decade before being a top guy.

If I had to rate him I would save average to above average with bouts of good mixed in.

• 3 weeks later...