Pro Wrestling Only

The 10,000 person crowd

sek69

You said it's a "win/win". Because if it fails, "Cody & the Bucks are taken down a peg". Which would be a good thing (not because of the superkicks but because of their attitude, ok). So, a fail would be good too (either that or I don't get the meaning of the word "WIN" in that context). Ok.

So, you don't want to see them fail, but you would enjoy to see them fail. :)

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a hard time for a while with Cody being the face of alternative wrestling in this country, a position once held by guys like CM Punk Samoa Joe, and Bryan Danielson, who were forwarding the industry. But with the current landscape it makes sense. With HHH's current hiring practices, Joe, Punk and Bryan would have been headlining NXT by 2004 and be given big pushes in WWE by 2005. So a guy like Cody who doesn't want to be in WWE makes sense to invest in.

You said it's a "win/win". Because if it fails, "Cody & the Bucks are taken down a peg". Which would be a good thing (not because of the superkicks but because of their attitude, ok). So, a fail would be good too (either that or I don't get the meaning of the word "WIN" in that context). Ok.

So, you don't want to see them fail, but you would enjoy to see them fail. :)

I would not even really enjoy it much. Just a mild amusement from it. I don't see how that is difficult to understand. I don't want it to fail because there would be major collateral damage.

I have no interest in watching it, but I want the thing to succeed.

Those are my exact feelings as well. I can't stand the Young Bucks, I don't really get why other people like them, but you'd be a fool to deny that they are popular. To me, they're the Pro Wrestling equivalent of Nickelback.

For the sake of Pro Wrestling as a whole, I think it is actually pretty important that this show succeeds, or at least isn't a total failure (which at this point I don't think it will be.) I doubt I'll ever live to see the day where there is actual viable competition against WWE, but it is extremely important that there are at least visible alternatives.

One thing I don't understand, is the hatred of Cody Rhodes by some fans, which in many cases approaches inexplicably vitriolic levels. I've even seen some examples of it here at PWO. Why? Was he pretty bland and mediocre in WWE? Yes. Is his older brother more talented than he is? Probably. Are his in-ring skills average at best? You can make that argument. I can see saying he's passable but unexceptional. Okay.

But this is a guy who wanted to be more than what he was, who wanted to honor his Dad (and imagine for a minute trying to fill those shoes) and to push himself and reach the top. Because of his Dad, he probably had a WWE midcard job for life, ala Dolph Ziggler. But he wanted more, so he walked away from guaranteed money to make a name for himself. Whether you like him or not, you have to admit that by all accounts he has succeeded, and that took serious balls. Not to mention, his bleach blond heel "American Nightmare" persona seems infinitely more interesting than anything he did in WWE. But I've seen so many fans crap all over him, because HOW DARE HE think he should be more than a WWE midcarder.

I say, if he manages to overachieve, more power to him. I don't have to think he's the second coming of Ric Flair to admire him for trying, and I certainly don't want him to fail.

I know this is a separate topic somewhat, but what is everyone's thoughts of CM Punk attending/not attending?

Personally, I'm kind of looking at this as Punk's chance to "do right" by his fans and the pro-wrestling community in general. His defenders will tirelessly state "He owes you nothing," but I think its time for him to come out and just tip his hat and, simply by just being there and receiving an ovation (and requisite "One More Match!" chant), make a statement that he should make in 2018: "I appreciate the fans, I appreciate the "boys," and this industry, warts and all, let me be me, warts and all. Thanks."

If Punk can't be bothered to attend a show in his hometown (if he still lives there?) that is designed to prove the strength of independent wrestling, than I'm not sure what could ever goad him out of his self-imposed pro-wrestling exile.

He doesn't really owe indie/pro wrestling anything, he gave what he had to give and was compensated for doing so and chose to move on. He's in preparation for his rumored second UFC bout and he's got the lawsuit with WWE on the go so he probably wants nothing to do with pro wrestling at this time. I'm sure he wants his buddies involved to do well but if they are his friends they would know better than anyone why he probably won't want to be involved.

As a bohab, I can't say the Bucks are Gwar. Not enough "edge" or splatter. I'd say Necro Butcher or Drake Younger are Gwar.

Hmmm, Bucks as Collins...ehhh, still too "big." Maybe they're more AWOLNATION, where it's a band whose biggest supporters are loud douchebags but their work is actually quite good if you've a flavor for it.

The Bucks are the most obvious choice of indy band to like, and are super into merch, which means they're Jack White.

WINNER

I don't know. I feel like Jack White would wrestle like it was the 1930's and find anything past that inauthentic.

One thing I don't understand, is the hatred of Cody Rhodes by some fans, which in many cases approaches inexplicably vitriolic levels. I've even seen some examples of it here at PWO. Why? Was he pretty bland and mediocre in WWE? Yes. Is his older brother more talented than he is? Probably. Are his in-ring skills average at best? You can make that argument. I can see saying he's passable but unexceptional. Okay.

I think a lot of people went off Cody in the early stages of his indy run, where he seemed to rarely lose whilst having pretty humdrum matches. When every time you see a guy and you know he's going to deliver a **1/2 match that he invariably wins, it makes him less appealing to watch.

Randy Orton is more Kings of Leon, good through the first few years with some high peaks, prone to backstage tantrums the more famous they became, mainstream popularity hit peak while actual product was at the lowest point.

The Bucks are the most obvious choice of indy band to like, and are super into merch, which means they're Jack White.

WINNER

I don't know. I feel like Jack White would wrestle like it was the 1930's and find anything past that inauthentic.

This. Jack White is the Vaudevillains. Except they were actually fun to watch.