Pro Wrestling Only

The XFL is returning?

Grimmas

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On paper this seems like such an objectively bad idea.

In reality it is as well.

I showed a buddy last year a clip of a show on youtube. The guy laughed and was really embarrassed as he haden't seen it before but typical the clip I find is Lawler/King commentating and the team names were obviously wrestling related. That and having Vince and Rock cutting promos.

Maybe the gimmick will try to be to get high school graduates that "go pro" instead of going college, since NFL doesn't do that? I have no idea. It seems really bad. It was really bad the first time around & everyone said it was a terrible idea. Then it failed. Now he's doing it again & everyone still thinks it's a terrible idea that's going to fail... but Vince McMahon doesn't give a fuck because he's a stubborn prick, so he's going to do it anyway, and fail again.

• 1 month later...

It will be interesting to see if Vince continues his push into Football. I am not sure if a Trump/Pence endorsement will help or hurt the XFL. Vince has said everything indicating that his target demographic are McDonald's-style patriots and the Alt-Right. The AAF sounds like "Those Son of a Bitches!" and more "Hey, let's give a healthy and fun alternative to the big dog!".

Depending on what they're going to pay, the new XFL and any other opposition to the NFL could potentially really hurt the CFL. The CFL already gets most of the guys who are either too small or not quite good enough to make the NFL. In some circles, they are viewed as a minor league for the NFL. If the new XFL and any other potential new leagues start up, it's conceivable that guys still hoping to make it to the NFL will head there instead.

Depending on what they're going to pay, the new XFL and any other opposition to the NFL could potentially really hurt the CFL. The CFL already gets most of the guys who are either too small or not quite good enough to make the NFL. In some circles, they are viewed as a minor league for the NFL. If the new XFL and any other potential new leagues start up, it's conceivable that guys still hoping to make it to the NFL will head there instead.

CFL still only allows 20 American guys per team to begin with, they'll fill those spots with guys that are already happy there or want another opportunity like Johnny Manziel. The XFL and AAF will give undrafted college guys and guys in all the indoor leagues that are everywhere now a chance to play outdoors again though and for more money. My co-worker played at Iowa State and then four years indoor here locally, but he just went over to Hungary to play (they are allowed only two American players per team in that league) so it's an awesome opportunity for guys like him to keep pursuing their dream without having to travel that far away. He had a tryout in CFL a month ago himself, so that may still work out for him. The orginal XFL and the UFL both had plenty of former NFL players and college stars, but neither had any real impact on the CFL.

The AAF already will have a year head start so the XFL will have to pick from the guys who washed out from the NFL/CFL/AFF first. At that point you could probably field a better team from 11 random dudes from here.

There are 2000 new seniors just from the D1 FBS level every year. There are at least 10 indoor leagues in the US right now for probably another 1600 players, many from D1 schools. Countless semi-pro guys that could earn a spot with a tryout too. Finding talent isn't going to be an issue, it's only 400 players for each league. There are at least 30 guys cut just from NFL camps every year, that's 960 guys right there.

CFL still only allows 20 American guys per team to begin with, they'll fill those spots with guys that are already happy there or want another opportunity like Johnny Manziel. The XFL and AAF will give undrafted college guys and guys in all the indoor leagues that are everywhere now a chance to play outdoors again though and for more money. My co-worker played at Iowa State and then four years indoor here locally, but he just went over to Hungary to play (they are allowed only two American players per team in that league) so it's an awesome opportunity for guys like him to keep pursuing their dream without having to travel that far away. He had a tryout in CFL a month ago himself, so that may still work out for him. The orginal XFL and the UFL both had plenty of former NFL players and college stars, but neither had any real impact on the CFL.

We could argue that many players coming from the NFL to the CFL underestimate the league's level and how different it is with their rules (wider field, 3-down football instead of 4-down football, etc). I can just look at my local team, the Montreal Alouettes who tried to bring in so many former NFLers recently: Chad Johnson, Ahman Green, Jerry Porter - now Josh Freeman is supposed to be their starting QB under former Packers coach Mike Sherman. None of them lasted in the league.