Pro Wrestling Only

Proposal for 2018: Match Review Trades

Matt D

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please give me the week off too. I still haven't watched the match I was given two weeks ago, and I never assigned a match to the person I was given last week (nor have I gotten one from him). On top of that, I think the last two people I was assigned never got around to watching/writing about the matches I gave them (unless I missed a post).

We might have to do a review of people who dropped off the face of the earth, too. But I'm not ready to do that yet. Maybe next week. I'll catch everyone who wants off the ship for a week, everyone who wants ON the ship starting this week, and shoot out a new list tomorrow.

Hey Migs, I'm gonna recommend you a mid-90's WWF tag team match that I have a soft spot for.

It's Bob Holly and 1-2-3 Kid vs. Tatanka and Bam Bam Bigelow from the 1/22/95 Royal Rumble.

Enjoy.

This is from deep in my dead period, so I'm pretty sure I've never seen it.

The announcers make the structure here really obvious, but it's also smart - Waltman as the face in peril is the right choice, and his work (especially with Bam Bam) is really fun. Bam Bam knows how to work as a monster and still be giving to the quicker guy. They wiggle out of the first heat segment without a hot tag and set up more heat on Holly, which goes fine but not as well as with Waltman. I do like the missed tag spot with the splash in the corner. Waltman takes a great hot tag (he's really the star here, while Bob Holly throws dropkicks and doesn't do much else).

I'm not sure how I feel about the miscommunication spot in the finish - I certainly haven't seen it before, but it makes Tatanka look impossibly dumb. I also think they milked the KO spot a little too long.

Still, a very good tag match, glad I saw it.

Ive been super busy, but will get to both MattD and SPSs matches asap.

For SPS, Im recommending a super fun tag match from Chikara

Bryan Danielson & Claudio Castagnoli vs Mike Quakenbush & Jigsaw

https://youtu.be/A1QzDuhGLbE

So I have watched the match and posted my review over in the match discussion archive and my overall feeling was it was a good fun match but had some glaring flaws for me that kept it from being anything I'd call must see, mostly due to Quack's limited ability outside his enormous technical/lucha skills.

http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/topic/22018-bryan-danielson-claudio-castagnoli-vs-mike-quackenbush-jigsaw-chikara-hiding-in-plain-sight-091309/

I go more in depth in the review but thanks to Matt Franklin for the recommendation, it did not feel like a waste of my time and I really enjoyed Bryan and Claudio here as well as Jigsaw who I remember being a big fan of in his ROH run as part of the Vulture Squad so it was nice to see him in something again.

While I'm at it, I have some blind spots I'd like to address, so I'll gladly watch whatever matches y'all can throw at me

in the following areas:

BattlArts

UWF/UWF-I

80s New Japan

Joshi, both current and classic

Current indies (Progress, Joey Janela, Walter, etc. Don't really need to see any PWG stuff, I know what to expect from them)

Lucha, particularly the big, classic singles matches and brawls.

My last three picks have been puro, so it's time to switch things up. SirEdger, I don't know how much lucha you've watched, but this match did very well in the DVDVR Best of the 80s voting.

Alright, finally found some time to catch up with this one. First of, I legit had no clue who those guys were before I was assigned this match so that allowed me to watch it with an open mind. I was a bit thrown off by the opening moments of the match with how the interviews were inserted and everything but once moving past that, I was OK. What struck me the most in this match is how the 3 falls were completely different in their structure. I didn't expect to see that fast of a pace in 80's lucha in the opening fall. Then, the 2nd fall was more technical and then we get the whole enchilada in the 3rd fall (no pun intended). Both guys throw everything at us, starting with the color (I'm a sucker for blood on white tights!) and both guys beat the crap out of each other for a few moments before reverting back to the fast pace of the 1st fall with topes and dropkicks and everything. I was thoroughly entertained by the referee's interaction with both Salazar & Herodes in this one and that's everything I was hoping to see from a lucha referee, even in the 80's. While I thought that certain spots were a bit botchy and awkward, it didn't take anything away from the overall experience of watching this match.

I can now see why NintendoLogic said it did very well in the DVDVR thread! :)

Week 5

Tim Cooke

Kronos

Grimmas

SirEdgar

Matt Franklin

Tim Evans

AstroBoy

WingedEagle

dkookypunk43

SPS

Jmare007

dawho5

Richeyedwards

fxnj

Rah

bucky

southofheavy

Migs

Matt D

HeadCheese

topropepodcast

concrete1992

Nintendo Logic

Jetlag

So we had 4 people jump on and a bunch temporarily jump off. We might have a couple of repeats this week. It's bound to start happening. Sam, topropepodcast has apparently been lax on giving people stuff. I'll reach out with a PM later on and make sure he's still with us. If he's not, then I'll be glad to double up.

HeadCheese, if that is in fact your name, you're new to the board. Welcome. I've got a few reviews from you here but I don't know much about what you're into/what you've seen, unlike people who have been here for years. Tell me a bit about yourself and I'll get you a match?

Tim Cooke, here ya go. Hope it's not too long.

Abdullah vs Billy Robinson

1978 2/3 Falls AJPW

As for me, I'm up for pretty much anything you want to throw at me. Even if I've seen it, I probably haven't reviewed it. I have the network and YouTube and the usual online archive kinds of things. So I can probably get my hands on whatever you suggest.

I liked this match quite a bit. It had some issues that almost took me out of it, but they kept going back to the overarching themes enough to hook me back in. Shinobu was really, really good at selling the arm injury and changing his offense as the match went on.

http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/topic/21900-kengo-mashimo-madoka-vs-mens-teoh-shinobu-bjpw-052308/

Alright dkookypunk43 for you seeing as you have NJPW World, I've chosen for you Genichiro Tenryu vs Keiji Mutoh from 05.03.1999. This match I don't see talked about as much as their 2001 Triple Crown match but I rewatched it recently and enjoyed it just as much. Hope you like it.