Pro Wrestling Only

Proposal for 2018: Match Review Trades

Matt D

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally reviewed the pick that Migs gave me last week. Write-up is below.

http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/topic/41042-low-ki-vs-xavier-icw-06302001-ladder-match/

My pick for WingedEagle this week is the King of the Ring Qualifying Match between Doink the Clown vs. Mr. Perfect from 1993.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wfktOHJxcc

Thanks, looking forward to hopefully checking it out this weekend. I teed up one of my favorite TV matches from Horsemen era TV with Tully Blanchard vs. Tim Horner. Link below. Enjoy!

CapitalTTruth, you have WWE Network so I'm picking 1-2-3 Kid vs. Blake Beverly from the 7/5/93 Raw.

It's surprisingly good for the time given and time period in WWE.

Let me know if you've seen it and I'll pull something out.

I'll catch up on my match from last week and this one soon.

Finally got to this. It was really fun. Kid was absolutely one of the best TV workers in the world. That dude was bumpin like crazy and throwing in his big looking offense. For his Part, Beverly looked really good as well. They got a lot out of their time. Thanks for the rec.

For you, Grimmas, I picked Verne Gagne & Mad Dog Vachon vs Crusher Blackwell & Sheik Adnan Al-Kaissie from 4/24/83

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCfsCA56JRw

Nice! I vaguely remember this from the AWA project and completely loving it. Can't wait to watch it and give it a proper review.

As for you, I hope you like blood and hope you haven't seen this, it's El Hijo del Santo vs LA Park from December 23, 2001.

For you, Grimmas, I picked Verne Gagne & Mad Dog Vachon vs Crusher Blackwell & Sheik Adnan Al-Kaissie from 4/24/83

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCfsCA56JRw

Nice! I vaguely remember this from the AWA project and completely loving it. Can't wait to watch it and give it a proper review.

As for you, I hope you like blood and hope you haven't seen this, it's El Hijo del Santo vs LA Park from December 23, 2001.

Alright, so I'm finally up-to-date in the Secret Santo project for the first time since its inception, haha! Finally watched this match and the one thing that really stood out to me is that I never expected El Hijo del Santo to be involved in such a bloody match. Given the history & tradition associated with anything linked to El Santo, it definitely was something that took me by surprise. It also was surprising to me to see Santo work pretty much rudo for the first 8 minutes of the match or so before LA Park really started to get some offense in until Santo gets the first fall by submission. The 2nd fall, to me, tells such a great story. I always thought that visuals & camera editing for a match can tell as good a story for a match than the match itself. The camera focusing on the blood on the canvas, seeing both Santo & LA Park's masks & gears gradually turning into red, was really a nice touch that captivated me throughout the entire match. The 3rd fall returns to somewhat a traditional lucha libre style until the end. Now....the one thing I didn't like. And this isn't just for this match in general; it's one thing that irks me with lucha libre. I understand that it is perhaps engrained in the lucha libre that referees have to be a bit (too much) theatrical with the pinfalls and their bias and such but to me, this is something that bothers me a lot when I watch lucha and unfortunately, the ending of this one was something that took some enjoyment for me as the ending was confusing. Obviously, the tecnico referee decided to DQ El Hijo del Santo for the low blow after the rudo ref was thrown on the mat by the tecnico ref but why did he count the pinfall then? That kind of stuff drives me nuts and I really felt like both referees stole the spotlight of a match that, until the last 2 minutes of it, told a fun story that stood out of the ordinary.

Overall, I'll give this match 3 stars and I knocked off .5 because I was so irritated by the ending.

HeadCheese, if that is in fact your name, you're new to the board. Welcome. I've got a few reviews from you here but I don't know much about what you're into/what you've seen, unlike people who have been here for years. Tell me a bit about yourself and I'll get you a match?

I have lately been really in to sprints, scrambles, and comedy matches. I think I could catch up on more pre 2015 non-WWE/TNA stuff (just do not send me death matches). Some of my favorite matches are Kenta Kobashi vs. Kensuke Sasaki, FIST vs. Young Bucks (Chikara), Akira Hokato vs. Shinobu Kandori, Bayley vs. Sasha Banks (Brooklyn), and CM Punk vs. Delirious (The Punk IWA Farewell one).

My reveiw trade match is this match

http://highspots.tv/delirious-vs-man-scout-jake-manning/

Well, this was something alright. The link stopped working mid-week but I found it on youtube (I think posted by Manning himself). I couldn't find a date on this (there's barely anything on the internet at all) so no MDA post yet. I'll post my thoughts here for now.

This was a comedy match done in front of a empty 'arena', which I think was the highspots warehouse. Apparently a show got rained out and this was sort of a bonus match, I guess posted online for the fans who missed out? Purpose is a big thing for me. Sometimes matches are trying to be great for the sake of being great, sometimes they have the cards stacked against them and can't possible be 5* given what they're trying to do, but they can still accomplish that thing, regardless of what it is and still be hugely special. So this feels weird to begin with. It's a comedy match with no one to laugh at the spots. There's no way to gauge the timing based on the crowd. They're trying to amuse each other, the ref (Cheeseburger?), and the few people hanging around the warehouse(with a ring in it).

I appreciate the commitment to character, despite that, though it does degrade into a Bugs Bunny short, with Manning, however serious or not he generally is, falling into the world of his opponent. I guess it's more like Roger Rabbit dragging everything around him into a toon world, or the more accurately the self-aware meta-ness of the Animaniacs. Delirious bouncing around the ring like a maniac, including doing things like walking the rope for no reason is novel. It's a totally different vibe than someone like Kamala or Missing Link. It's manic in a different way, an Ultimate Warrior that didn't take himself so serious and objectivist and that was actually in on the joke and ran it into the ground.

This is long, but there is some sense of restraint. It starts slow, with a refusal to lock up, progresses to Manning losing more and more of his bearings, and then builds to bigger spots, though it never gets too big. I thought Manning sort of lost it too early, and while there was a little bit of heat, he never really had control of the situation. Yes, it's funny when he's looking at his book (rulebook? Scout book? a heel walking around with a rule book to yell at the ref with is a good gimmick) and then immediately doing Delirious' own yell back at him. With all the talking, it's almost like a Three Stooges short of a Sam Raimi movie. There are times where Manning is playing around a bit too much, like when they shout out boxers' names when hitting each other, but that was one of the three or four things that popped me in the match (him shouting "Dick Murdoch!" and just kicking Delirious in the gut). That was one of those weird situations where they went just far enough with it for it to be annoying but not far enough for it to be serene. Also, it probably should have come earlier (it really sets up the finish) but there's no real way to rate escalation in a match so unreal.

At the same time, there are things I notice and can't help but notice even if I strongly doubt they're intentional. For instance, that minute or two of heat had Manning cut of Delirious a couple of times with a back elbow. When Delirious finally fought back, Manning tried to stop it but got cut off with a Delirious back elbow followed by a big flying clothesline. It didn't actually go anywhere or mean anything in the big picture but I still liked it. At one point Delirious grabbed Manning's knee pads to pull himself up into a headbutt to the gut. That's a brilliant spot and I've never seen it before. If you watch a match and see one little thing like that you've never seen before, it's a match that you're better off for having watched. Delirious' finishing splash was pretty impressive and popped the insider "crowd."

You can't rate something like this. It probably would have been just as effective at trying to do whatever it was trying to do in half the time, but it showed an admirable mix of restraint and insanity to fill twenty-plus minutes.

My thoughts on Johnny Czeslaw vs Les Kellett

The match has not even started and Les Kellett has superkicked the ref. There is a great round transition in the first round. I am suprised nobody else has had to sneeze mid match. I could see how Les inspired Colt Cabana. I would like to see these guys in a even wackier themed match. A lot of fun stuff.

Overall- A fun match

The match I gave to NintendoLogic: Hayato "Jr" Fujita vs. Jinsei Shinzaki (Michinoku Pro 12/13/2013)

OK, I watched this. The opening minutes were interesting because of how one-sided they were. Jinsei was shrugging off Hayato's kicks, bulldozing him on the collar and elbow tie-up, and eating him up on the mat. Jinsei cutting off Hayato's comeback by destroying his leg was also quite compelling. Unfortunately, they lost me when Hayato blew off both the leg work and a chokeslam from the top rope. By the end, they were just hitting each other with bombs and I had checked out completely. This did nothing to disabuse me of my disdain for lucharesu.

Week 6

I've pulled bucky and Matt Franklin for this week. I've pulled topropepodcast. I don't think Kronos heard from Tim Cooke last week. Since we're at an odd #, I'll be happy to double up with Tim if he drops back in to the thread. Just let me know. I didn't check for doubles this week, so if you are paired with someone you've already had, try to use what you learned to shape your match for them.

Nintendo Logic
southofheavy
Migs
dawho5
HeadCheese
Rah
Tim Evans
concrete1992
Grimmas
Jmare007
WingedEagle
fxnj
Matt D
Kronos
Richeyedwards
Jetlag
SirEdgar
SPS
AstroBoy
dkookypunk43
Kronos, hoping I have a match for you by the end of the day.

Bucky had me watch

Atsushi Onita/Tarzan Goto vs. Dragonmaster/Masanobu Kurisu (Texas Street Fight)

http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/topic/17351-atsushi-onita-tarzan-goto-vs-masanobu-kurisu-dragon-master-fmw-texas-street-fight-040190/page-2&do=findComment&comment=5831565

All in all, a really good brawl with some nasty chair shots.

For you, SPS, I picked Kazuo Yamazaki vs Norman Smiley from the UWF (11/06/1988)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojVKp88T_Yc

Awesome! I love Newborn UWF and have all their shows but haven't watched any of them in almost 2 years now so this will be fun to rewatch. I loved Norman Smiley here and Yamazaki is always been a treat.

For SirEdger I'll give you Fit Finlay vs Masaharu Funaki from Reslo, although I've never found out the date of this match I really enjoyed these two together here and wish I had more of Funaki in Europe.

In Tim's absence, dawho5 was kind of enough to trade matches with me.

I rec'd WWC: Carlos Colón vs. Abdullah The Butcher - Vengeance Match (1986), reviewed here.

Unfortunately, I liked it less than the other reviewers. But as the first WWC, first Colon, and one of the few Abdullah matches I have seen, it was a worthy experience.

Finally dropped the reviews for Richeyedwards and dawho5 matches, I'm all caught up :)

Really interested in seeing if Grimmas likes or is "meh" about this, my pick for you is

Suwama vs Daisuke Sekimoto - All Japan 1/2/12

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x43jp36

Interesting, I usually avoid puro, but those are two guys people have said I would like!

Looking at your posts, you seem to be all in on puro. Which means i should avoid that, since it seems like you have it covered.

This is a match I will have to watch too, haven't seen in years, but it's got to be awesome.

Andrade Cien Almas (La Sombra) vs Jushin Liger