Pro Wrestling Only

Proposal for 2018: Match Review Trades

Matt D

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For you, Grimmas, I picked Matt Sydal vs Ricochet from EVOLVE 32. If you have seen it, let me know, I have a few backups in case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DlbKv4XEQo

Never saw it, so going to be something.

For you, I have back ups if you've seen it:

Deonna Purazzo vs Karen Q in a No DQ match. Love Purazzo and this is a fun little brawl.

First and foremost, I must admit that at the beginning of the Women of Honor division, I was skeptical because there were a lot of names that I didn't recognize and given all the great talent in promotions like SHIMMER, SHINE or WSU, I was expecting to see more top names to be involved in that division. But one name that I always thought was the best overall on that roster was Deonna Purrazzo. I honestly think that she should've been the first WOH Champion but that's just me.

I've rarely been impressed with women in street fight stipulations. Not a matter of misogyny or anything; it's just that most of the time, those street fights didn't seem believable; they were kinda holding back and this didn't feel natural. This No DQ match definitely felt natural to me. First, with Ian Riccaboni reminding us a bit of the history between both Deonna & Karen Q, and the recap of the events leading up to this match definitely help a casual viewer to be more invested in this. And they definitely executed this one very well, taking every trick of the book - my favorite part of the match is Karen Q taping Deonna to the top rope and working on her in the corner for a solid 90 seconds at least - and using them with their own flavor. Of course, it wasn't entirely perfect but they didn't hold back and that's what I was asking for those two ladies. Indeed, quite the fun match!

Not officially a part of this but I'd like to recommend Jun Akiyama vs Masao Inoue from NOAH, 4/23/2006 to MattD (or anyone for that matter). It's been compared to the acclaimed Kobashi/Ogawa match from 2003 and it's unlike any AJPW/NOAH style main event ever. It honestly might make my Top 10 for GME. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x384vpg

http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/topic/41852-jun-akiyama-vs-suwama-ajpw-champion-carnival-041518/

I watched this on a suggestion, completely out of context. I've seen only a few Akiyama matches from this decade. I'm not sure I've ever seen Suwama. I haven't seen much recent AJPW. These things matter, because here I see these two guys, both in their 40s, one far closer to 50 than 40, the latter being someone who had known real, true glory, battling each other in front of such a small crowd in order to gain points towards an accomplishment that doesn't even matter anymore, not really, but that once was hugely important. It reminded me, oddly enough, of Wahoo and Manny Fernandez killing each other in the late 80s in a dying AWA. Maybe AJPW is better off and more relevant than that, but you wouldn't know it from this crowd or this atmosphere. Despite all that, there was still such mutual, agreed-upon animosity and fury between the two of them.
This was a match that had a calf branding from the apron to the guardrail, that had thrown chairs and a thrown rail, with two exploder suplexes (and a transition from a third, blocked one) and a dozen knee variations. It still felt primal and minimalist. I have no idea about the history between these two except for that they have the better part of a decade of it, at least, here in the flagging ruins of AJPW. There was a level of pride to the strike exchanges, but that's not always enough to make them compelling. Here there was also a bitter stubbornness. There was an air of futility of even pointlessness to it, but the only way either of them would be able to recognize that futility would be if they stopped, if they looked down. You got the sense that they were killing each other because if they stopped and thought about it, if they did anything even a little more reasonable, the ground would disappear underneath them and the whole meaning to their lives would crumble. There are moments where you can sense that they can almost see it, that the glimmer of it is there just out of the corner of their eyes, but then one headbutts or forearms the other and the cycle begins anew.
I wouldn't want to live in this world, but it's a fascinating place to visit.

Not officially a part of this but I'd like to recommend Jun Akiyama vs Masao Inoue from NOAH, 4/23/2006 to MattD (or anyone for that matter). It's been compared to the acclaimed Kobashi/Ogawa match from 2003 and it's unlike any AJPW/NOAH style main event ever. It honestly might make my Top 10 for GME.

Next time we have an odd number, Ill sit out and gladly watch it.

Speaking of that, I should roll the dice tomorrow night, I think. fxnj is on. Anyone else on/off?

Week 19. Alright, just from a cursory look, I'm not sure last week was all that successful, but hey, this is voluntary and life happens, and I enjoyed my match so it's all good with me. Anyone can always play catch up either in suggesting or watching a match.

But we shall reroll and try again this week. SmartMark15 is on. fxnj is on. shodate is wished the best in his future endeavors.

IpponDropkick
oldbirds
SirEdger
fxnj
Tim Evans
SmartMark15
HeadCheese
jetlag
Grimmas
Victator
JoeG
Nintendo Logic
DR Ackerman
dawho5
Matt D

I'm the odd man out and will watch Jun Akiyama vs Masao Inoue from NOAH, 4/23/2006 as Microstatistics suggested.

As always, watch your suggested match if you can, but make sure to give something to your partner as soon as you can.

@ headcheese

I wonder what kind of presents Chessman gives for Christmas. That has to be maybe the first and only time in wrestling were somebody did Asai Moonsault taunt and than an a armdrag on the outside as a opening to a match. I felt the brawling section was okay. The ending of the match and post match felt strange. This is a solid match.

My thoughts on Breaks vs Street

I know Adrian Street from Alabama and even met him days before my 11th birthday. I think he was talking down to me, but I always think that. Jim Breaks I unfortunately only know him as allegedly killing his wife.

Street is playing a far more foppish version of the eccentric weirdo. Street here is playing an act to lure his opponents into a trap. Which even here I could see it would work on most of his opposition. But Breaks is too good and they are at a stalemate. The mat wrestling here is next level and basically dead today, The mat wrestling is not a check point to brawling section A, B or C. It is not a side dish or desert, it is the entree and you better pay attention. I missed the first fall and had to rewind it. The submission was like this thing done at super speed that only another master could fully view.

By this point Street has abandoned the fop act and is now being vicious in his attack. Street gets a submission, but I honestly have never seen that hold before. It looked like the lifting choke guys would do to Heenan. I think it might have been a standing wristlock.

The match goes to a draw which is disappointing but a fact of life of wrestling.

I enjoyed seeing how Street was before he merged the English style with the Southern brawling style of Tennessee and Alabama. I can't really do this justice.

For you, Grimmas, I picked Matt Sydal vs Ricochet from EVOLVE 32. If you have seen it, let me know, I have a few backups in case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DlbKv4XEQo

I kind of expected a spot fest here, but this was a lot more of a match here with a decent story that built to a good finish.

Of course both had their high flying moves that looked spectacular, but Ricochet being so arrogant and Sydal kind of putting him in his place was a fun bit. Everything hit and looked impactful.

This is one of those that I am glad I watched it, but would probably never go out of my way to see. Oh, the crowd was really into it too, which was great.

If you like these two guys you SHOULD watch this. If you don't really care for these two or their style, like me, it's still an ejoyable match to watch and you'll get something out of it.

Thanks.

SirEdgar

Let me know if I'm crazy for thinking Billy Graham had a good match in 1987

Considering everything that Billy Graham had to overcome for this comeback run - as well put by Gorilla Monsoon at certain moments of the bout - it was somewhat a more than acceptable performance from "Superstar" Billy Graham with Butch Reed. I loved that Reed went at him right away before Graham even did make it to the cage, using his bandana to tie him in the cage and such. I thought overall, they did a good job to work around Graham's physical limitations and exploit those to tell a good story in the match. By the flow of the match, I was kinda expecting the brass knuckles to backfire against Butch Reed but it didn't deter from my enjoyment of the match, all things considered. Not a match that I would seek to watch at all cost but fun nonetheless.