Pro Wrestling Only
Sign in to follow this  
Edwin

[2000-11-12-FMW-Deep Throat] Tetsuhiro Kuroda vs Mr Gannosuke

This was OK. The crowd was somewhat quiet and as much as I like Gannosuke, I usually end up disliking Kuroda as I find him annoying and his work dull most of the time. In his defense, his stuff does seem to connect with a lot of the crowd (despite my disliking) so he has that going for him. And I do dig his Kuroda Crunch which is his throat drop on the turnbuckle support.

I did dig him trying his dumb extensive running through the crowd lariat only to find out Gannosuke had rolled into the ring. He also tried that corner knee spot he usually does, but Gannosuke hit him with an ax kick and then proceeded to roll outside and mock him. Gannosuke also gets quite a nasty Ric Flair-esque 1986 gusher after running into the ring post. Sucks Kuroda doesn't try and exploit this by punching or sticking his nails into it or at least going after it in some way.

Aside from Gannosuke's false finishes with the Gannosuke Clutch, the finish felt pretty flat with Kuroda spamming lariat before putting Gannosuke down with a double underhook facebuster.

What bums me about this, is that this was somewhat the mold of a lot of the big FMW singles matches from this WEW period.

Gannosuke has to retire if he loses here. Knowing the history of FMW, they essentially do a quasi double turn here IMO. Kuroda was about to turn heel and he is dickish throughout the match from the onset in taking over with eye rakes and underhanded tactics. The main focal point of the match changes when Gannosuke runs face first into the ringpost in a great looking spot and he comes up bloody afterwards. After that, Gannosuke is fighting for his profession and pulling out rare moves like the Scorpion Death Lock to imitate his hero, Riki Choshu. The crowd here isn’t great and that is a victim of FMW really feeling like a promotion rapidly declining from the early 1999 high points. Kuroda is fine in this but doesn’t seem ready to be the next main guy and doesn’t have the allure of the Kanemura, Tanaka, Hayabusa or Gannosuke’s of the world. Gannosuke does a sequence of quick rolling pins to try to steal the win but is eventually beat with an onslaught of lariats and an implant DDT. I enjoyed this match as Gannosuke continues to be a wrestler with great purpose in his storytelling and precision in ring on basic things like Irish whips and stomps. He is a wrestler that really speaks to me and will be missed from FMW proceedings for the time being. ***1/2 (7.1)