Pro Wrestling Only

Greatest Match Ever Project

Grimmas

I agree. I sort of hate feeling like I HAVE to watch things.

This. Whenever I feel "obligated" to watch something, be it because of hype or taking part to a discussion, it totally spoils the fun for me. It has to come from within and the idea of enjoying what you're doing/watching. Of course, this is the right way to approach this project for me, whenever I'll feel like watching/pimping stuff because it's fun to do so, then it will a good time to do it. But forcing yourself is only gonna get you burned out and be bitter about stuff because you can't watch/talk about everything (which I guess is also partly why some people got a negative outcome out of the GWE poll I guess).

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I signed up and I'll hopefully get a list together by the end. I'll step away for a few months at some point as I always do and I won't watch a single thing in that time, but then I'll pick it back up for the home stretch and come up with something I'm happy with, yet not as happy as I could be because I'd never be able to watch everything I want to even if this was a decade-long project. So, similar to the GWE, basically.

My understanding is that it was more about the expectations people had for the results. It's not a criticism I have about it, but I did see several comments about the 1980s being really heavily represented in the top 100. The "too mainstream" was more me kind of summarizing the lack of lucha guys in the top 100, Ric Flair being the #1 guy, etc. There were expectations going in that we were going to avoid those, for the lack of better terminology, cliche elements of the final list.

Honestly when I would go into a project like that the only list that I am really worried about is my own. I don't care if nobody else ranks my top 10. Those were mine. Obviously I have interest in other people's ballots, some more than others, but it won't make me think any worse of the project as a whole or my own view on wrestling.

I love this idea. GWE was great, because I watched a bunch of wrestling I would have never watched otherwise and then made a list that made the most sense based on what I watched. I took it seriously enough not to be insulting to everyone else, but never so serious that it caused me any stress. I'm pretty sure 75% of my posts here were discussions regarding GWE and it is probably the most fun I've ever had on a wrestling board.

Speaking for myself, my issues with GWE were the tone and attitudes of certain people during the process, and less the results. There were aspects of the results that I didn't care for personally, or that I felt ran really counter to the discussion threads in some ways, but that's the byproduct of having an open process. There isn't much you can do about it.

Had GME been hosted on PWO I probably would have taken part despite my visceral hatred for ranking matches out of a sense of obligation. With it housed elsewhere it's unlikely I'll participate. Honestly with matches I'm likely to just throw a list together in five minutes today and send it in, then spend any time mulling anything over and that kind of runs counter to the spirit of it anyhow. That said, I hope people enjoy the process and have fun with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update....

I have spent a good bit of time transferring nominees today. It isn't all caught up, but its a little closer.

I will post this over there too, but please remember if you are nominating a match for the first time please include the participants, any stips, any tittles, the promotion, and the date at the top of the nomination in addition to the title. The titles have a small character limit. This helps us sort matches quicker.

I am going to be adding some discussion sections soon as well.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The discussion is great but there doesn't really seem to be anywhere near the same level of hype GWE got. Maybe we could run some podcasts promoting it?

I think it's hurt by that fact it's not hosted here, which would have been ideal because of maximum exposure/visibility. But I can understand the reasons Loss indicated and his decision, though I'll say the discussion has been a lot more, uh, pleasant (for lack of a better word). Also I think the burnout factor is less of an issue because of the diversity of stuff nominated and the fact you're not watching multiple matches from one wrestler in a row. The podcasts idea is a good one.