Pro Wrestling Only

PTBN GWWE Results Thread

I started with 91 today, but now I'm down to 85 after losing 6 more. So, 85 of mine will make the final cut. I lost the Usos, and I'm actually pretty surprised they are not going to be on the list. I would put them up there as one of the company's greatest teams. I also lost Harley Race, Tajiri, King Kong Bundy, and Umaga. Looking forward to the Top 100...

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PTBN’s Greatest #WWE Wrestler Ever project is complete and the results are in! Everyone who got at least one vote will be honored and here is part eight of the honorable mentions (124 - 101). Be sure to join in the conversation!

http://placetobenation.com/ptbn-greatest-wwe-wrestler-ever-results-honorable-mentions-part-eight-124-100/

Yeah, Eadie's bio needs a bit of a re-write. This section in particular:

"Workrate: Nobody, and I mean NOBODY raised their hands above their heads and crashed them down repeatedly on some guys back better than Ax. Not even Smash. And his name was fucking SMASH! Not particularly very good at much else."

Don't mind me. I will constrain myself moving forward. If you don't vote you can't complain. That one just hurt.

To be fair, my entire argument for Demolition is that workrate is dumb, so you can see where this would have been a problem in the first place.

http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/topic/29226-demolition/&do=findComment&comment=5726028

So long as you guys don't crap on Nick Bockwinkel in the top 85, I'll keep my mouth shut. On the other hand, if he made it into the top 85 for one legends' battle royal and some very good commentary work over six or seven arena shows, more power to you.

I get the frustration as someone that had Ax ranked 71st.

I'm even ok with the placement. Votes are votes. Am I going to get annoyed that Dynamite Kid will be so high in comparison when he did so much more to screw up the tag team division in 88 and what have you and when so many of those matches don't hold up? Sure, but I get that. It's really only the write up which frustrates me.

I shouldn't be annoyed by the results of this project because I did not submit a ballot (because I had other viewing priorities than re-watching WWF/WWE stuff). That being said, some things have struck me as pretty significant flaws in what was a neat project.

The overall writing quality and the lack of even a cursory editing pass to correct obvious mistakes of punctuation, grammar, and style in the final results has made me wince.

The deficiencies in the description of Bill Eadie's merits (and others on the list, too) as a worker is a more serious matter. Again, there's not been enough editorial oversight to correct some pretty glaring errors.

Still, I remain interested in seeing the end results of the project.

I shouldn't be annoyed by the results of this project because I did not submit a ballot (because I had other viewing priorities than re-watching WWF/WWE stuff). That being said, some things have struck me as pretty significant flaws in what was a neat project.

The overall writing quality and the lack of even a cursory editing pass to correct obvious mistakes of punctuation, grammar, and style in the final results has made me wince.

The deficiencies in the description of Bill Eadie's merits (and others on the list, too) as a worker is a more serious matter. Again, there's not been enough editorial oversight to correct some pretty glaring errors.

Appreciate you reading them.

At the end of the day, this is an extreme side hobby for a group of guys with jobs and families. I wish we had a full time editing staff... We have been trying to catch and clean up as much as of this as we can, often late in the night when we have a few minutes here and there. But it is basically just a blog for guys with no aspirations of growing beyond it in the industry.

There is also a balance needed... we are getting tons of people asking to see the results, antsy to discuss. So do we just dump a list with nothing out there? Or put some effort in adding some substance to it? We are trying to meet both needs and that is where we landed.

Two guys (with help from a third... and one of which has a newborn) have been writing these entries... all of them... two guys that aren't Dave Meltzer and aren't getting paid and aren't able to take the time to provide an in depth retrospective on 331 careers. It was just meant to be a synopsis, sometimes funny in nature, to add some depth to the results. They were doing it because they volunteered, which is awesome, but it's not a job.

Again, it's a free site and a group project meant to create conversation and debate. It's not the end all, be all look at each career. If you feel there are deficiencies in the bios, lay them out so others can learn.

I am glad you are sticking with it and appreciate you sharing thoughts... just wanted to give insight into what has gone into all this.

Appreciate you reading them.

At the end of the day, this is an extreme side hobby for a group of guys with jobs and families. I wish we had a full time editing staff... We have been trying to catch and clean up as much as of this as we can, often late in the night when we have a few minutes here and there. But it is basically just a blog for guys with no aspirations of growing beyond it in the industry.

There is also a balance needed... we are getting tons of people asking to see the results, antsy to discuss. So do we just dump a list with nothing out there? Or put some effort in adding some substance to it? We are trying to meet both needs and that is where we landed.

Two guys (with help from a third... and one of which has a newborn) have been writing these entries... all of them... two guys that aren't Dave Meltzer and aren't getting paid and aren't able to take the time to provide an in depth retrospective on 331 careers. It was just meant to be a synopsis, sometimes funny in nature, to add some depth to the results. They were doing it because they volunteered, which is awesome, but it's not a job.

Again, it's a free site and a group project meant to create conversation and debate. It's not the end all, be all look at each career. If you feel there are deficiencies in the bios, lay them out so others can learn.

I am glad you are sticking with it and appreciate you sharing thoughts... just wanted to give insight into what has gone into all this.

BTW. I’m having a blast with your top 100. Even did a podcast with a fellow board member going over each of our top 10. Thanks for putting this project out. Hope you do a similar one with WCW/NWA

Send me an email at [email protected] and you can volunteer hours a week of your time like the four guys that have poured over this for the last month + and you can correct all the glaring errors you want.

Also, some of the write-ups are tongue in cheek and have neat things like satire and hyperbole. I'm a big proponent of creative freedom when guys are sacrificing their free time because they're passionate about a project. Nothing is a *serious* matter here.

Ah yes agreed, loving this project! At this point, I'm thinking about the folks that made it that DID NOT make my list (in the top 85). I noticed there are 4 that made it that I didn't vote for in the top 85. I did not vote for Ziggler or Muraco or unfortunately Honky Tonk Man (he would make my list if I turned it in today). I love that Earthquake made it 79! I also didn't vote for Bobby, but I totally get it. I just made the decision going in that I was only going to vote in people that were known as full time wrestlers so I excluded folks like Bobby and Sherri Martel which are two personalities I absolutely love from the WWF. I must have miscounted by one because I didn't vote for Snuka (for the reasons mentioned in the posting). Anyways, going forward everyone that makes the list was also on my list. Super stoked to see Adonis make it to 71 as well.

Send me an email at [email protected] and you can volunteer hours a week of your time like the four guys that have poured over this for the last month + and you can correct all the glaring errors you want.

Also, some of the write-ups are tongue in cheek and have neat things like satire and hyperbole. I'm a big proponent of creative freedom when guys are sacrificing their free time because they're passionate about a project. Nothing is a *serious* matter here.

I hope he takes you up on the offer