Pro Wrestling Only

PTBN GWWE Results Thread

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Triple H being that low was surprising to me.

so glad to see HHH not make the top 10. I voted him very low on purpose to try and help negate his top 10 votes. So I had all nine who dropped today on my ballot. 15 guys left with the top 15 to go. Looking forward to see who ends in the top 5. Does anyone believe CM Punk deserved to be higher than Misterio and Bryan?

Punk over Mysterio is a joke. Maybe at his absolute peak he was a bigger star, but even that's pretty dubious given Rey's impact with the Spanish-speaking fan base. On work, Rey destroys him, both peak and volume.

Punk over Bryan is pretty sketchy as well. I guess you could argue greater longevity on top, but Bryan's big run was bigger, and again, Bryan just obliterates him on work.

Punk over Mysterio is a joke. Maybe at his absolute peak he was a bigger star, but even that's pretty dubious given Rey's impact with the Spanish-speaking fan base. On work, Rey destroys him, both peak and volume.

Punk over Bryan is pretty sketchy as well. I guess you could argue greater longevity on top, but Bryan's big run was bigger, and again, Bryan just obliterates him on work.

i find punk to be the better worker

Than Mysterio? What was he better at other than working heel (and why would you ever want Rey to work heel)?

Rey sold better, bumped better, had better timing, had more interesting offense which he executed more smoothly, delivered good-to-great matches against a wider variety of opponents over a longer period of time. Hell, he was probably Punk's best WWE opponent. I understand some legitimacy marks have a problem with Rey, but honestly, I can't imagine that class of fan loving Punk either.

Don't get me wrong, I like Punk. But we're comparing a very good worker to one of the best ever.

Than Mysterio? What was he better at other than working heel (and why would you ever want Rey to work heel)?

Rey sold better, bumped better, had better timing, had more interesting offense which he executed more smoothly, delivered good-to-great matches against a wider variety of opponents over a longer period of time. Hell, he was probably Punk's best WWE opponent. I understand some legitimacy marks have a problem with Rey, but honestly, I can't imagine that class of fan loving Punk either.

Don't get me wrong, I like Punk. But we're comparing a very good worker to one of the best ever.

i find both be be overrated read my top 100 list ot see how i see things was he a Santo level draw in mexico like mysico was nope is he a good or as ivovative as Tiger mask nope is he as good as brawler as Morgan nope as masero now is as goo ass navarro or terry nope does he have iconic matches like atlans does nope [ this is stuff rey does not have that comapre him to other lucha guys ]

one think punk has got over rey is cardio why look at there logest matches i od not think rey in one one match has gone over 60 mins rumblles dint count anyway since the very stucre of rumble

im not talking baout just in one promotion here i talking as whole

punk leve allot to dsiare in my book as well one being iffy at best ground game im a techniqe mark first and formost punk is not Ikeda tamura or han in that compartmnet either

i find both be be overrated read my top 100 list ot see how i see things was he a Santo level draw in mexico like mysico was nope is he a good or as ivovative as Tiger mask nope is he as good as brawler as Morgan nope as masero now is as goo ass navarro or terry nope does he have iconic matches like atlans does nope [ this is stuff rey does not have that comapre him to other lucha guys ]

one think punk has got over rey is cardio why look at there logest matches i od not think rey in one one match has gone over 60 mins rumblles dint count anyway since the very stucre of rumble

punk leve allot to dsiare in my book as well one being iffy at best ground game im a techniqe mark first and formost punk is not Ikeda tamura or han in that compartmnet either

That takes it well outside the parameters of a poll on WWE workers. But speaking to your points, I don't try to contextualize Rey as a luchadore, because he didn't work in Mexico for much (if any) of his prime. Was he as good a brawler as Pirata or as good a maestro mat worker as Navarro? Of course not. But neither of those roles were his calling, and he was better than those guys at many other facets of wrestling.

As for the Tiger Mask comparison, have to disagree. Young Rey was a more spectacular flyer than young Sayama and far less mistake-prone.

The cardio thing just doesn't mean a lot to me. Working 60 minutes is such a small part of wrestling, especially in the modern age. Rey's fitness has always held up fine, and if his sweet spot is 15 to 20 minutes, more power to him.

But hey, I get that he's not your type of worker. He doesn't fit the style of wrestler you have at the top of your 100 and that's fine.

That takes it well outside the parameters of a poll on WWE workers. But speaking to your points, I don't try to contextualize Rey as a luchadore, because he didn't work in Mexico for much (if any) of his prime. Was he as good a brawler as Pirata or as good a maestro mat worker as Navarro? Of course not. But neither of those roles were his calling, and he was better than those guys at many other facets of wrestling.

As for the Tiger Mask comparison, have to disagree. Young Rey was a more spectacular flyer than young Sayama and far less mistake-prone.

The cardio thing just doesn't mean a lot to me. Working 60 minutes is such a small part of wrestling, especially in the modern age. Rey's fitness has always held up fine, and if his sweet spot is 15 to 20 minutes, more power to him.

But hey, I get that he's not your type of worker. He doesn't fit the style of wrestler you have at the top of your 100 and that's fine.

you forget sayama did not only work as tigermask you forget his stuff in uwf and his founding of shooto

are you saying in mexico rey in his time there in major promotion outdrew mystico or say pedro in wwe

the booking of rey as champion was aewfull even worse than punk's

rey was still working mexico in his prime hence why him losing his mask kicked up Such a stink with even ithe commission getting involved form what iv read

what od you call prime

I don't see where Rey is ahead of HHH when the only one of the four caveats that Rey definitively holds over him is workrate. It looks like a lot of people voted with a higher emphasis on workrate.

as they should do not that i do i rate 90% of pure ining skill and techique and 10% of work rate so rey is higer than HHH at ;least

I don't see where Rey is ahead of HHH when the only one of the four caveats that Rey definitively holds over him is workrate. It looks like a lot of people voted with a higher emphasis on workrate.

Presumably Hunter has as many detriments in all of the other areas as gains? He's got as many terrible moments as memorable ones. On promos, he has years of 20 minute opening Raw segments that were just dreadful. He's the king of bloated matches that would actually be pretty good if you just cut seven minutes off of them, etc. The guy has drawbacks in every category for everything he did well.

You're right, but I wonder how many of those are Vince decisions and how many were Hunter's? Then again, I'm sure he wasn't opposed to these things so it makes it a moot point in the end. I guess when it comes down to it for me, when someone says WWE, I'm going to think of HHH quicker than Rey 99 times out of 100.

Presumably Hunter has as many detriments in all of the other areas as gains? He's got as many terrible moments as memorable ones. On promos, he has years of 20 minute opening Raw segments that were just dreadful. He's the king of bloated matches that would actually be pretty good if you just cut seven minutes off of them, etc. The guy has drawbacks in every category for everything he did well.

i agree i like long matches but HHH long matches feel longer than i was live at Long Srtong distance 2 hour matc JD at HHH match taht are not even 1/2 tthat somethign feel double that like his match with nash

you forget sayama did not only work as tigermask you forget his stuff in uwf and his founding of shooto

are you saying in mexico rey in his time there in major promotion outdrew mystico or say pedro in wwe

rey was still working mexico in his prime hence why him losing his mask kicked up Such a stink with even ithe commission getting involved form what iv read

what od you call prime

I'm not forgetting. UWF Sayama is my favorite Sayama, but that was a short run. And it's the only stuff he did that holds a candle to Rey's best work, which covers nearly a 20-year span.

And no, I'm not saying Rey outdrew Mystico in Mexico. But so what? Why is that relevant to the question at hand?

Same thing with the booking of Rey as champion. Why is that relevant to his quality as a performer?

As for Rey's prime, I guess I'd say 1995-1997 for his first iteration and then 2002-2011 or 2012 for WWE? He worked in AAA a lot in the 1990s, and he was a spectacular performer there, albeit not one of the greatest luchadores in history. But I don't think anyone would look at his career and say it was defined by what he did in Mexico. He's a WWE star first.

what od you call prime

I'm not forgetting. UWF Sayama is my favorite Sayama, but that was a short run. And it's the only stuff he did that holds a candle to Rey's best work, which covers nearly a 20-year span.

And no, I'm not saying Rey outdrew Mystico in Mexico. But so what? Why is that relevant to the question at hand?

Same thing with the booking of Rey as champion. Why is that relevant to his quality as a performer?

As for Rey's prime, I guess I'd say 1995-1997 for his first iteration and then 2002-2011 or 2012 for WWE? He worked in AAA a lot in the 1990s, and he was a spectacular performer there, albeit not one of the greatest luchadores in history. But I don't think anyone would look at his career and say it was defined by what he did in Mexico. He's a WWE star first.

the onld peak vs long gtive argumnet

while its subjective super tiger vs Fujuwara[ ny opf them] is by far better than any ray match iv seen in AAA WAR ECW WCW or WWE

and also ay his peak bettwen 80-84 sayama was one of the biggest draws in the world and one of the main resaon vy in 82 new japan by proft vs lost and live attnecdes was the biggestpromotionn in the world yes that was im sorry rey caould never carry a promtion in its back and the fiunded of UWF sayama shinma maeda bing the main founders of the promotion helped Change booking Ideals base don hoe much UWF and later rebron uwf was darwing cause in the main the foucs on clean fihses somthung taht Japanese wrestling overal had a huge lack of in the pre uwf days Sayama help change the Booking ideal of a wohle market

did rey change the booking ideals of WCW or WWE or the whole us market as whole nope he did yes the change was slow nbut iot help with AJPW golden era of the 90's Jumbo wnated ot count out in that famosu match with Misawa afther baba said misawa was gomg over and baba siad no you loosng clesn and he did

now in the bigger Japanese promtions and wif yano is not involved mos of teh iayd 999/1000 matches are clean finishes in japan now just saying UWF is witch was partly sayama baby is in long routng =e of time ot thank for this

this uis another reason i thr WWE AE but that my firend is different rabt ot different day