Pro Wrestling Only

All Star Wrestling on the Network

Ricky Jackson

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait until you get to 1980, then your face will melt off

I really hope they eventually do 81-83, I'm having too much fun. Yeah the TV show can be boring but I'm engaged because it's freaking Vince McMahon and Bruno Sammartino calling it, easily 2 of the top 10 most important people in the history of American wrestling. And the way Vince tries to fill time during the boring matches is an interesting look into his mind for me, the man fascinates me, one of the most interesting figures in the history of American entertainment really.

And the way Vince tries to fill time during the boring matches is an interesting look into his mind for me, the man fascinates me, one of the most interesting figures in the history of American entertainment really.

Same here. I always wondered if Vince's hatred of accents in his announcers stems from this run. It's like Ellis Island in the commentary booth with Sammartino, Rocca, then Patterson...

Is this one of those strange Vince-isms? Does he put himself with broken English speakers to make himself sound smarter? Who knows. It's also funny to watch Vince get caught off guard and try to hold back his laugh when Blassie or Albano say something funny. You can tell Vince LOVED those guys.

Wait until you get to 1980, then your face will melt off

I really hope they eventually do 81-83, I'm having too much fun. Yeah the TV show can be boring but I'm engaged because it's freaking Vince McMahon and Bruno Sammartino calling it, easily 2 of the top 10 most important people in the history of American wrestling. And the way Vince tries to fill time during the boring matches is an interesting look into his mind for me, the man fascinates me, one of the most interesting figures in the history of American entertainment really.
If Vince ever did a shoot interview I wouldnt want to hear about the attitude era. Id want to hear him talk about 60s and 70s wrestling for two hours.

Jumping from 1976 to 1977 was a bit of a bummer when you remembered Rocca passed away in the interim.

And the way Vince tries to fill time during the boring matches is an interesting look into his mind for me, the man fascinates me, one of the most interesting figures in the history of American entertainment really.

It's also funny to watch Vince get caught off guard and try to hold back his laugh when Blassie or Albano say something funny. You can tell Vince LOVED those guys.

Greatest heel of all time had to learn his trade somehow right?

I'm saying it a lot but I just can't believe how much fun I'm having with this stuff. I thought it would be the worst stuff ever and that Mid-Atlantic would be my obsession. Having the MSG and Spectrum shows to view the show in context as a viewer of the era is huge. And I can't get enough Vince and Bruno, my second favorite territory announcing with Lance and Dave of course in their own league.

Like, I was just watching a July 79 MSG show where Valentine tries to grab a chair to hit Strongbow with, but a fan stops him, so Valentine starts nailing the guy with punches until a dozen cops jump in. And is Backlund/Patterson from MSG considered one of the best matches of the 70s? I thought it was amazing and Vince's call was peak JR big match caliber.

I'm saying it a lot but I just can't believe how much fun I'm having with this stuff. I thought it would be the worst stuff ever and that Mid-Atlantic would be my obsession. Having the MSG and Spectrum shows to view the show in context as a viewer of the era is huge. And I can't get enough Vince and Bruno, my second favorite territory announcing with Lance and Dave of course in their own league.

Like, I was just watching a July 79 MSG show where Valentine tries to grab a chair to hit Strongbow with, but a fan stops him, so Valentine starts nailing the guy with punches until a dozen cops jump in. And is Backlund/Patterson from MSG considered one of the best matches of the 70s? I thought it was amazing and Vince's call was peak JR big match caliber.

You're really getting me excited at the idea of doing this myself.

Is there a comprehensive listing of what's available chronologically on the network from this era?

I mean, it's not Memphis TV for sure, you have to love Vince and Bruno for some of this stuff. But to my knowledge, this is the first time we've had the chance to really understand the experience of a territory fan, with complete weekly TV and then seeing what was happening at the big arena shows.

Backlund vs Strong Kobayashi from 6/3/78 is pretty good, almost house show quality good.

Piper's match with Estrada from 8/11/79 is fascinating. First, he's a face, which surprised me because I assumed he worked heel during his brief cameo in 79. Second, within minutes he's an over like crazy face to the Hamburg faithful after he makes a fired up comeback on Estrada, who had jumped him before the bell. Third, Albano comes down to ringside and briefly jaws with Piper, which is not only a tantalizing tease at what could've been, but also a peak into the future. Seeing how over he was here I'm still not exactly sure why he wasn't given a real run in NYC at the time

Backlund vs Strong Kobayashi from 6/3/78 is pretty good, almost house show quality good.

Piper's match with Estrada from 8/11/79 is fascinating. First, he's a face, which surprised me because I assumed he worked heel during his brief cameo in 79. Second, within minutes he's an over like crazy face to the Hamburg faithful after he makes a fired up comeback on Estrada, who had jumped him before the bell. Third, Albano comes down to ringside and briefly jaws with Piper, which is not only a tantalizing tease at what could've been, but also a peak into the future. Seeing how over he was here I'm still not exactly sure why he wasn't given a real run in NYC at the time

I just watched that Piper/Estrada match and thought it was a bunch of fun! Just below Sd Jones/Patterson and Dibiase/Travis-Scicluna/Coage in my 79 TV viewing so far.

Anyone that has read Pattersons' book seeing this might be able to provide some insight. I think the backstage transition was probably less thought out than that...his wrestling slowed down when the national jump started, really, so I would probably tie that sort of transition just kinda happened like it did with Strongbow, and just went in a different direction than that of a regular agent at the time.

Rivera/Sanchez from 03/06/76 had some pretty cool takedowns from both guys that I don't think I've seen before. It's not a must see match or anything but it was totally different stylstically from everything else so far. A sort of technical exhibition that hinted at what both guys might have been capable of in a different setting with different expectations.