Pro Wrestling Only

Current Unpopular Wrestling Opinion(s)

Coffey

This is sort of like the "State Your Unpopular Opinions" thread at TSM, except I thought we could actually defend ours here:[li] Triple H is my favorite wrestler

He has been for sometime and now that he's seemingly turning face, a lot more people are coming around on him. Before he feuded with Cena, though, I was trying to defend HHH daily against multiple naysayers from several different message forums. I just like his persona and his wrestling style. He really does remind me of a mix of several old NWA wrestlers. Namely Harley Race and Ric Flair. I also think he's entertaining in non-wrestling segments. For example, on Raw, I marked out when he spit out the water that Shane spiked.

[/li][li] I like the Nash Vs. X-Division Angle in TNA

I've been talking about this in HTQ's blog over at TSM. HTQ certainly makes good points and is rightfully doubtful about how it'll all play out. I'm more thick-headed, so I'm giving Nash the benefit of the doubt. I think it's made for some entertaining TV so far which is something that TNA has desperately needed.

[/li][li] I'm not high on Chris Benoit

As you can read in the topic I started about Benoit. I don't hate Benoit, I'm just not up-in-arms over him like the rest of the internet. He's a great wrestler, it's just that in this day and age, I think you have to bring more to the table than being a great wrestlers. At least when you're on the WWE stage.[/li]

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Josh

I luff the Nash/X-Division feud, partially due to being a big Nash fan and partially due to absolutely loathing the X-Division outside of Joe and AJ. So Nash getting back into to his old burying/cool heel stride + the X-Division getting buried = Happy me.

I'm sure he will lose to Sabin at the end of this, but like Meltzer wrote the other week in the Observer, it'll be with a wink and a smile and nobody will buy it or care.

This is sort of like the "State Your Unpopular Opinions" thread at TSM, except I thought we could actually defend ours here:[li] Triple H is my favorite wrestler

He has been for sometime and now that he's seemingly turning face, a lot more people are coming around on him. Before he feuded with Cena, though, I was trying to defend HHH daily against multiple naysayers from several different message forums. I just like his persona and his wrestling style. He really does remind me of a mix of several old NWA wrestlers. Namely Harley Race and Ric Flair. I also think he's entertaining in non-wrestling segments. For example, on Raw, I marked out when he spit out the water that Shane spiked.

[/li][li] I like the Nash Vs. X-Division Angle in TNA

I've been talking about this in HTQ's blog over at TSM. HTQ certainly makes good points and is rightfully doubtful about how it'll all play out. I'm more thick-headed, so I'm giving Nash the benefit of the doubt. I think it's made for some entertaining TV so far which is something that TNA has desperately needed.

[/li][li] I'm not high on Chris Benoit

As you can read in the topic I started about Benoit. I don't hate Benoit, I'm just not up-in-arms over him like the rest of the internet. He's a great wrestler, it's just that in this day and age, I think you have to bring more to the table than being a great wrestlers. At least when you're on the WWE stage.[/li]

Triple HHH brings less to the table than Benoit does and is only percieved as great by some because he's booked that way. HHH is the ultimate example of how you can take someone that is in no way special (though he can be good but he in no way whatsoever has the "it" factor) and get him places via booking him strongly and the rest of the roster weak.

HHH from what I've seen brings a lof of the "don't even care" attitude by the fans when he's on the Tv screen. That is not good. A lot of the problems in today's WWE climate are a result of HHH.

Unpoplular Opinion -- Let's see -- Jamie Knoble was the best ROH wrestler ever in ROH if only for the fact that he was the most natural in the ring.

I have yet to see a Jerry Lawler match I really liked and I have now seen him against Macho, Bret, Flair, Junkyard Dog, Michales, Fujinami and Funk. To me, he represents everything that's wrong in wrestling and is the fakest looking wrestler I've ever seen.

I don't know if this is unpoplular or not but the time before Ravishing RIck Rude got injured in WCW I thought he was one of the most interesting and enthralling charactors ever in wrestling. I loved his mic work and him going on about his opponents or the injustices leveled on him. Similar to how Bret, Austin and Michaels were in 97. Rude despite his comical antics in the ring at times had me believing pretty much like Bret Hart did when he was at his best.

Loss said it best: There might have been someone as cool as Rude, but there was no one cooler than Rude. No matter if he was banging Jake's wife or being DX's bodyguard, Rick Rude just reeked of awesome.

As far as unpopular opinions go, I've always been entertained by Kevin Nash, so any excuse to get him back on TV is aces in my book.

Triple H brings less to the table than Benoit does and is only percieved as great by some because he's booked that way. HHH is the ultimate example of how you can take someone that is in no way special (though he can be good but he in no way whatsoever has the "it" factor) and get him places via booking him strongly and the rest of the roster weak.

I don't know how to respond to this. Especially coming from someone with the user name "Wild Pegasus" whom just make a "top 50 favorite WWE Benoit matches" topic.

I like Triple H because he's entertaining to me. It has nothing to do, really, with how he's booked. Even if he shows ass and gets dominated in a program, like he did with Batista, he still entertains me. I guess that's why it's an unpopular opinion?

Saying Triple H is "in no way special" is just silly. What can't he do?

HHH is like this dark hole of charisma, and is far less energetic than Benoit. All the flaws you listed for Benoit, HHH has even moreso, with being really boring outside the ring. The sole difference between HHH and Benoit is that HHH is booked to say interesting and truthful things and Benoit is not.

What do I have to convince you of, that we have different opinions? That's why my opinion was unpopular, hence the thread. What more can be said that won't just end with someone saying "I disagree?" It's not like I'm going to sway anyone's judgment.

Guest The Metal Maniac

Saying Triple H is "in no way special" is just silly. What can't he do?

HHH may be capable of cutting a promo and wrestling a match. He is not, however, so good at either of these things to warrant a 5-year push to the moon.

I legit think that there's at least 10 wrestlers out there, who have as much promo talent and in-ring ability as HHH does, who could be twice as over with half the push. Because I'm sorry, but pretty much ANYONE who gets to outsmart the whole roster and win 95% of their matches is going to be over, regardless of their in-ring skills. HHH just happens to be good enough that he doesn't completely bore everyone.

Also, I dunno if this is an unpopular opinion, but MAN, I hate the current angle with HHH. HHH is not the new Austin, and he NEVER WILL BE. Last week's RAW (which I only saw the last half of) was horrible. I thought the thing with the water bottle was silly, because me and my buddy called it the second Shane showed up with the water, because HHH is smarter then everyone in the WWE all the time.

The sole difference between HHH and Benoit is that HHH is booked to say interesting and truthful things and Benoit is not.

Plus, Benoit had multiple runs of great, great matches, and not just one back in 2000.

What do I have to convince you of, that we have different opinions? That's why my opinion was unpopular, hence the thread. What more can be said that won't just end with someone saying "I disagree?" It's not like I'm going to sway anyone's judgment.

You said in the first topic you wanted to defend yourself. If you don't want to, fine, just don't say you want to.

I said "we" could defend our opinions. If I thought it was just going to be me against the world, I'd have a made a "tell me why I'm wrong for liking HHH" thread.

I thought the thing with the water bottle was silly, because me and my buddy called it the second Shane showed up with the water, because HHH is smarter then everyone in the WWE all the time.

If there's something Triple H knows about, it's water. If you're looking for a kayfabe reason, he could've just remembered them doing it to HBK before his Kiss My Ass segment.

It just bugs me with HHH. They've just had it so drilled into their heads that he's the best. It just saddens me that I actually have to argue with people that Dustin Rhodes was a superior worker to HHH.

Jeff Jarrett is a better wrestler too. He can go out there and put on a good match with almost anyone and HHH can't.

HHH certainly has the benefit of having the booking center around him, but he's more than capable in the ring.

I'm of the opinion he came back from his quad injury too soon, and the crap matches he had when he returned seem to have set the framework for a lot of people's opinions of his in ring ability. I notice that a lot of times HHH's opponents get praised for having a good match, yet somehow HHH is still some stiff who's only pushed because he's boinking the boss's kid.

I think he's terrible. I've noticed personally that matches seem to come to a crashing halt whenever he's on offense. He doesn't do anything that stands out move wise and he honestly seems lost a lot of the time. Then things tend to pick up when the other wrestler goes back on offense.

I wouldn't be bothered by him in the ring but he insists on going at least 20 minutes whenever he's in the ring no matter what. Even if his opponent is a slug like Batista he still has to go over 20 minutes. And it annoys me even more when the matches I actually want to see have to rush through a 9 minute match because the son in law needs his 10 minute entrance and 20 minute match.

Guest Dorian

HHH is the heel version of Hogan.

I'd explain in more detail, but as of right now I realized I'm gonna be late getting back to work, so I'll explain after work.

Guest The Metal Maniac

I consider them comparable in one way, but vitally different in another.

With both guys, you can just assume they're going to win all the time, and you're usually right. You can just assume that even if they lose the belt, they'll have it back before long, and you're probably right.

But they're vitally different in the fact that Hogan was 1. Over 2. A face. Now, I won't say that HHH isn't over (he is) but look what it took to get him there. Hogan, from what I'm told, pretty much just had to be on TV, and he was over. Natural charisma and all that.

The fact that Hogan was a face is even more critical. See, people *like* seeing their favourite wrestler win all the time. They like it when there's the one guy standing up for truth and justice and the american way, and damit, if you cross him, he's gonna take you out. It's like in the movies - everyone knows the good guys win 99% of the time in the movies, but people *like* it that way, so no one really complains.

With HHH, it's the exact opposite. he's a heel (or at least, he's supposed to be) yet he still wins virtually all the time. (For the record, I do think HHH has improved somewhat in this regard since Batista, but it's too hard to make a real call on his current status as of yet) What in the bloody blue fuck is the point of that? That's such bass-ackwards booking. I mean, it'd be one thing if they had ever built up anyone to be "the guy" to take HHH out for good. (which is, I suppose, what they did with Dave - personally, I think that's also half the reason he got over) Instead, what we had for a while was HHH beating every top face in the company, or at the very least, winning the re-match and never talking about the first match again.

Why the hell would people buy tickets to see that? Who wants to pay money to see their favourite wrestler LOSE to the guy they hate, all the time?

That, I think, is the key difference. When Hogan won, everyone loved it. When HHH wins, a lot of people go "Jesus Christ, not again, give someone else the friggin' belt." Plus, you know, Hogan made assloads of money.

Loss said it best: There might have been someone as cool as Rude, but there was no one cooler than Rude. No matter if he was banging Jake's wife or being DX's bodyguard, Rick Rude just reeked of awesome.

As far as unpopular opinions go, I've always been entertained by Kevin Nash, so any excuse to get him back on TV is aces in my book.

So true. Ravishing Rick Rude was what professional wrestling is supposed to be.

I actually like Nash a little bit in his first go with WCW and his run as Diesil but not once he came back into WCW.

Guest The Metal Maniac

This prolly counts as an unpopular opinion, but not a very current one.

I used to be a Diesel mark, mainly because he beat the SHIT outta HBK, and I hated HBK. That ended when he wrestled the Undertaker though. Everyone who wrestled the Undertaker automatically became my most hated wrestler.