Pro Wrestling Only

Roman Reigns as the ace post-Wrestlemania

FMKK

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barring injury I really think Brock vs Roman is happening again next year. There were a few little things they did tonight that got me thinking. Just a lot of subtle things in commentary and video packages about redemption, etc.

Doing this again and waiting another year is just batshit insane. Even scarier is the fact that I could see Roman losing again as an entirely plausible scenario.

WrestleMania is fucking groundhog day.

They need to build up a new top guy. Reigns ain't it. They need a new top babyface. They have still yet to replace John Cena. I don't know who that person is, or who is could be, but I know it's not Roman Reigns. He's damaged goods at this point as a top guy.

They also should not have wasted the 20-year Undertaker Wrestlemania undefeated streak on Brock Lesnar.

WWE just has been making sketchy decisions with a lot of shit the last few years. I don't really know what's going on.

Who on the roster is a young guy that's not overexposed that WWE could try to start pushing up the ladder as a top babyface? Even if you include NXT, I'm not sure if they have anyone that I can see as a potential top babyface. Of course, I didn't see it with John Cena and I certainly didn't see it with Rocky Maivia or Stunning Steve Austin. But they gotta give up on Roman Reigns as the top guy. If Johnny Gargano was bigger, I would say him. If Adam Cole wasn't so sleezy & a natural heel, I would say him. Maybe they're going to try with Seth Rollins as a babyface on top instead of a heel this time?

I'd go with Braun too, but I can understand the hesitancy considering his dominance. How do you make him vulnerable without compromising his monster aura? I could also see Seth considering how much of a roll he's been on. And while I'm not sure they'll try to pull the trigger on him again, Bryan is right there as well.

This is all in regards to the top male star, as it seems pretty clear Ronda will be the top overall star.

Barring injury I really think Brock vs Roman is happening again next year. There were a few little things they did tonight that got me thinking. Just a lot of subtle things in commentary and video packages about redemption, etc.

Doing this again and waiting another year is just batshit insane. Even scarier is the fact that I could see Roman losing again as an entirely plausible scenario.

WrestleMania is fucking groundhog day.

It should be hilarious to hear everyone push the idea that it's supposedly been this epic, intriguing 4-year story from day one all along though.

Aside from that, you know it's a sad & dire situation whenever people are actually clamoring for a Seth run as top baby face. Christ. It's like hearing survivors of the Great Depression yearn for the good old days. Enough. Seth isn't the answer - regardless of what the question may be. Ever. His grating, irritating, terrible promos aren't designed to rally people. They aren't going to inspire any kind of a baby face reaction. Whatever goodwill he builds up with his in-ring work is quickly evaporated when it comes time for him to promote or sell any sort of story or circumstance. Zero personality. Until that changes, he's precisely where he needs to be, thrilling you with his gymnastics in the mid-card.

The answer is Braun, by the way.

I think most of those losses were due to Triple H imitation promos and the fact that he was a complete and utter chickenshit. I'm not going to call him an excellent mic worker, but he's been loads better on the mic as a babyface and his in-ring work has also improved tremendously. And the crowd totally buys into him now when they didn't during his last run on top.

And with Braun, I think the answer is to basically make him this generation's Undertaker i.e. give him a few short title reigns where he loses via chicanery sandwiched between feuds where he dominates midcarders.

Does Brock even have any dates lined up until SummerSlam? Kind of hard to build up your next top guy when the other half of the equation isn't around.

He usually pops up around late June or early July. But he did work GRR so he might be out till August.

The treatment of Cena in the past year or so is another bizarre side effect of this experiment. Cena developing an HBK/Bret/Hogan "this doesn't work for me, brother" mentality was sorely needed several times. Say whatever you want about those guys, but sometimes you just need to protect yourself and stand up to stupid shit. I've never seen them work so hard to devalue a top guy who still has gas left in the tank:

- They have him tie Flair's title reigns, but he drops the belt immediately in the most meaningless way possible. It was just done for statistic purposes, nothing more, nothing less. Get 16 times out of the way, then on to the next thing.

- He puts Nakamura over clean as a sheet, on free TV. They couldn't really capitalize on that momentum in any meaningful way for Nakamura. Some of that is Nak's fault but the point stands, Cena doing clean jobs should be rare and when it happens it needs to MEAN SOMETHING.

- He gets utterly destroyed by the Undertaker in a match whose sole purpose was to troll fans. The Undertaker btw was maybe/maybe not retired by the new "top guy" the year before.

- The new "top guy." Cena vs. Reigns is booked as a match for the ages. At No Mercy, not at WrestleMania. But hey that's fine, work with me here... All promo work is designed to show Reigns doesn't have heart like Cena does, Reigns isn't worthy, shooty shooty shoot. Then Reigns wins clean and Cena's all "you the man now, bro." And that's that. Roman just moves on to the next thing and Cena goes away. The match is treated as an epic encounter in the moment but is rarely referenced outside of that one night. For how obsessed WWE is with canonizing moments, they sure didn't seem interested in canonizing this.

Watch some 2014 Cena then watch him now. There's a notable difference in crowd reaction. They've screwed him up just as bad as they've screwed up with Roman.

It honestly should be Braun. I don't know how long you would get out of him but he should be your guy for the next year or so.

Yup. Just put Braun in the MITB match, destroy people and win it. Then do one of those in ring interviews they like doing were he says he's not waiting and is using his briefcase tonight making the main event a triple threat of Brock, Roman, Strowman. Braun wins it and they do an injury angle with Reigns.

You have a Brock rematch, Lashley and Rollins for Braun to run through the summer before losing the strap. He doesn't need it for more than 3 months.

The thing is unlike in other places ace is not a lineal chain as it in other places if it were like this maybe the fans would have been ok with roman. Sometimes the new ace does fail I use Nakamura as the example when he was the super rookie, Then the bookers Changed the focus, Tanahashi Beat Muto to become the ace, Okada beat Tanahashi Roman beat Cena, who did Cena beat not the previous ace.