Pro Wrestling Only

NXT Takeover: New Orleans

Ricky Jackson

In many ways, this match felt like something to be endured - and I mean that in a good way.

Wonderfully said. So many 30-40 minute epics (I'm looking at you Okada's 2018 title matches) feel like such a drag with several segments feeling like chores to get through. This was organic, brutal, and fantastic.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was convinced Gargano was on his way to 205 Live and this was gonna be the excuse to push him in that direction. I thought they would think Gargano getting his revenge would play out later on the bigger stages of the main roster but damn if that match wasn't perfect and Gargano winning was a tremendous surprise for this cynic.

Oh, 205 Live is going to eventually be Gargano, Ciampa, and Cole & Company, And I have high hopes, no pun intended.

Gargano and Ciampa, yeah I can see that. Undisputed Era? Although those guys are skinny compared to even their peers in NXT let alone the beefier guys on the main roster, it seems apparent that Triple H sees a lot in Adam Cole. He'd want to put him somewhere that he can keep a close eye on his development as a WWE star. And where Cole goes, the others will follow, at least initially. That's my guess.

I'm fine with attaching the rocket ship to Adam Cole, he's been over everywhere he's ever gone, NXT is no exception, the pops he got were outrageous.

Prob the best Takeover ever, there was no low point. Gargano makes me...sad in a way? Like what are the chances he ever has as good a match as he had with Ciampa on the main roster? I'm in the single digits. That's no slight to Gargano, he's proven he's the guy, it's more a commentary on the slough that can be RAW and Smackdown. Has Nakamura come close to the Zayn match? Sasha's come close-ish to TakeOver brooklyn, but then again not really

It's worth noting that there was no buffer match between Black/Almas and Gargano/Ciampa. That's pretty much par for the course for NXT, but it's definitive proof that WWE crowds don't have to be brought down after a hot match before they can be brought back up again. Or at least they don't on shows that aren't 20 hours long.

so far i have watched all the way up to the start of the main event, it has been a good show so far with a largely great crowd with only one or two moments of smarkyness that i would have expected. The opener did little for me as i like mentioned by people earlier in this thread don't really know what to do with carcrash style matches now. The women's match was really good but moon was largely along for the ride and it was all down to the performance of shayna for making that match. The tag match made little sense but had its fun spots. The title match was another excellent performance by the almas and vega tandem while black was good but some of his strikes still don't look great.

Gonna watch the main event after the nap i am going to need so that i can get through mania which goes from 10pm-5am over here.

This was a great show with the main event being a MOTDC. The only not-perfect thing on the show was the tag team match, especially the finish. I hate the Horseman beatdown if it follows a 15 minute match where the turning guy works perfectly with the guy he is turning on and dishing out offense at the guys he will be teaming with.

This was a great show with the main event being a MOTDC. The only not-perfect thing on the show was the tag team match, especially the finish. I hate the Horseman beatdown if it follows a 15 minute match where the turning guy works perfectly with the guy he is turning on and dishing out offense at the guys he will be teaming with.

At least they (Roderick Strong and Pete Dunne) were a makeshift team that formed for the Dusty Classic, so you can argue that Strong was just being a professional...up til when he turned, revealing his real motives. It doesn't matter though because if you created a prototype for what is a typical ROH type stable member, you get Roderick Strong. So he fits the Undisputed ERA perfectly IMO.

I think it's possible we just witnessed the greatest feud ending in the greatest match in wrestling history. At least in a modern context, I don't know how you top what Ciampa and Gargano just did.

Also, add to it this tweet by Ciampa:

BLACKHEARTVerified account @ProjectCiampa

Clearly, my knee is not 100% yet. If it was, then the outcome would have been different. A coward strikes a man when he's injured. The better man did NOT win.

7:22 AM - 8 Apr 2018
Seriously fucking beautiful

I think it's possible we just witnessed the greatest feud ending in the greatest match in wrestling history. At least in a modern context, I don't know how you top what Ciampa and Gargano just did.

BLACKHEART‏Verified account @ProjectCiampa

Clearly, my knee is not 100% yet. If it was, then the outcome would have been different. A coward strikes a man when he's injured. The better man did NOT win.

You really think the feud is over after one single match?

Shit, how do you continue that?

If they are able to continue it and get one more great match, that's it isn't it?

Shit, how do you continue that?

If they are able to continue it and get one more great match, that's it isn't it?

If it really is the end of the feud, it's gotta be the #1 greatest one match feud of all time, right? But nah, I can't imagine they don't continue on with Ciampa being a sore loser and extending the feud or that it gets picked up again when both guys are on 205 Live or another main roster brand.

I can see Gargano moving up this week, leaving Ciampa alone to destroy NXT by himself before the eventually call up and re-igniting the feud.

I don't, for one simple reason. The match stipulation stated that Gargano would have to leave NXT forever if he lost. It said nothing about WWE. Therefore, I don't see Gargano moving up just yet, unfortunately.

Then when they blow Gargano as a face and use him to put over every new heel for 18 months, he can go heel and team with Ciampa against Shane.

Gargano is an incredible babyface and I hope he gets to be that for years to come.

But I think he can be a great heel too. Dude looks like James Franco. There's nothing likeable about that. :D

If Paul Heyman were booking NXT, I would have expected Candice LeRae to turn on her husband to join Blackbeardheart instead.

"Raven's my dad now."

Curious which direction the women go in now. Are they going to put Kairi Sane in the title picture? When are the Iconic Duo coming back?