Pro Wrestling Only

Who Booked This? The Podcast Thread

Grimmas

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hardcore Elimination Chamber might deserve an in a vacuum look.

Sure even looking at it from a story telling standpoint with Punk and RVD getting tossed early its bad, but I dont think its as bad when you look at it knowing everything about the show, Heymans issues leading up to the show, and his ouster afterwards, etc.

Here you go!

https://soundcloud.com/prowrestlingonly/wbt9

The Golden Grahams are here to talk the Extreme Elimination Chamber, as requested by Steve J. Rogers at prowrestlingonly.com. We can talk about your match by requesting it there, or @StevenGrahamTWS on twitter.

A match that sunk a brand, we talk about the match plus CM Punk, TNA history, politics, and we have a power outage. This show is a clusterfuck, just like this match?

FYI, there have been a number of Chamber matches featuring multiple stable/faction members.

Twice with Evolution, including one where Batista sacrificed himself so Triple H could retain his title. And Legacy broke up in one where DiBiase turned on Orton.

Hardcore Elimination Chamber might deserve an in a vacuum look.

Sure even looking at it from a story telling standpoint with Punk and RVD getting tossed early its bad, but I dont think its as bad when you look at it knowing everything about the show, Heymans issues leading up to the show, and his ouster afterwards, etc.

Here you go!

https://soundcloud.com/prowrestlingonly/wbt9

The Golden Grahams are here to talk the Extreme Elimination Chamber, as requested by Steve J. Rogers at prowrestlingonly.com. We can talk about your match by requesting it there, or @StevenGrahamTWS on twitter.

A match that sunk a brand, we talk about the match plus CM Punk, TNA history, politics, and we have a power outage. This show is a clusterfuck, just like this match?

FYI, there have been a number of Chamber matches featuring multiple stable/faction members.

Twice with Evolution, including one where Batista sacrificed himself so Triple H could retain his title. And Legacy broke up in one where DiBiase turned on Orton.

Completely forgot about those.

If you're taking requests, I want the TNA Lockbox Challenge.

https://soundcloud.com/prowrestlingonly/wbt10

You can now follow us on https://twitter.com/whobookedthepod

Here is the episode on TNA's Knockouts Lockbox Challenge, hope you all enjoy.

I've been meaning to say, thank you guys for giving me this birthday present. It was everything I imagined it would be.

This Impact episode was one of the few I actually watched on TV as it happened, with my mother in the room, so you can imagine how embarrassing this was as I was trying to sell her on us watching TNA every week (I was very into hate watching and reviewing TNA at that point, it would have made it much more convenient).

This whole thing was like the perfect combination of WWE-style misogyny, WCW-style wacky nonsensical stips and TNA-style utter stupidity.

"The rules are simple" was an all-time amazing line and became a running joke in my house for a good long while.

You mentioned that there was a second guy in the truck, I remember when I first watched this noticing how obvious it was that Hogan was not driving from the exterior shots as you can see them through the windscreen driving the thing.

But the best bit about the monster truck match is that HOGAN DOES A HULK UP IN A MONSTER TRUCK MATCH!!!! When you got a formula you really got a formula.

Saw the title of this podcast series and immediately decided I needed to get in on the fun. Watched the match before listening to the pod and hoooooly..... A stinker in every sense of the word. It was terribly laid out, terrible executed, and on top of that, felt like it was moving in slow motion. Poor Tropicasas.

A few notes:

-You guys pronouncing Villano as you do threw me off during the whole pod. That's in no way a knock but after years of reading about and discussing wrestling online as a native Spanish speaker it was kinda weird.

-To this day I struggle between Villano III Vs. Atlantis and Villano IV Vs. Blue Panther as my favorite of the two but IV/Panther usually wins just because of the sickening bump Villano IV took into that arm rest. My mom went to a ton of lucha as a kid and every few weeks I'll show her a spot from whatever I'm watching. Everything I show her gets compared to that.

-Before the match Villano III explained that even though members of his team had lost their masks, they asked for and got permission from the commission to wrestle with their masks on as long as they took them off after the match. Not too strange of an occurrence as it recently happened at the Arena Coliseo 75th anniversary show with Super Astro and Mascara Año 2000.

-As bad as everything was, that triple splash was the neatest thing I've seen in a while. Totally horrible in a Troma kind of way. There's no way that spot would be in a good match, but in a piece of trash like this it's great.

-"The style of wrestling that I like, when it's done poorly, or mediocre, equates to things like this" is such a great line and is so true. For as many great Friday Arena Mexico and Saturday Arena Coliseo cards as I've been to there are waaaaay more terri-bad Sunday/Tuesday Mexico and Monday Puebla cards that have been the absolute worse in terms of technically good wrestling that I have still enjoyed just because it's lucha.

-My lady and I have been Kate Nash fans since her first album and THAT scene in GLOW definitely had a hand in her gradually starting to seriously get into wrestling with me.

-Totally dig that you can spend all that time talking about such a short match. Reminds me of my friends an I spending countless hours discussing a two second social faux-pas.

I really need to listen to the rest of the episodes of this pod. For as much as I love I love high-end, nearly "art-house" level stuff like Han Vs. Tamura and Giant Baba Vs. Billy Robinson, I need a match like this every so often to pull me back down to earth and make me enjoy the absurdity of wrestling. Looking forward to catching up and getting future editions of this. Keep it up fellas.

Thank you so much for the comment and for giving out some info. How do you pronounce Villanos properly?

Glad you enjoyed it, our best episode is probably Hogan-Giant, so might want to start there. Wrestling should not only be about great stuff, the crap is needed too.

Any requests?

In Spanish, Villanos is pronounced "Vee-ya-nose." I am in no way a linguist and even after years of living and working in Mexico City there are words I mess up but it's totally different hearing someone pronounce that word in a way I'm not used to. What matters is that you're talking about the match and not stupid little stuff like your pronunciation, so don't worry about that!

I'm about to watch Hogan/Giant and listen to the pod afterwards.

As far as requests - it's kinda strange. Personally, I have a canon of all time terrible matches; Giant Baba Vs. Raja Lion, Tom Magee Vs. Hiroshi Wajima, and The Great Antonio Vs. Antonio Inoki all feel like matches we've all seen and at the same time are so out there that you couldn't necessarily expect a wrestling nerd (at least at the PWO level) to not know about. They're all so short (and HORRIBLE) that there's really not much to say. At the same time, you could say the same about Villanos/Psycho Circus and yet here we are.

Point is - I dig the idea of the pod. It feels kinda weird that it took a pod about tremendously bad wrestling to get me to start posting on a board again after so long, but at the same time, it feels so right. There's no point in enjoying something if you can't poke fun at it, right?

On 6/26/2018 at 1:02 AM, drokk said:

In Spanish, Villanos is pronounced "Vee-ya-nose." I am in no way a linguist and even after years of living and working in Mexico City there are words I mess up but it's totally different hearing someone pronounce that word in a way I'm not used to. What matters is that you're talking about the match and not stupid little stuff like your pronunciation, so don't worry about that!

I'm about to watch Hogan/Giant and listen to the pod afterwards.

As far as requests - it's kinda strange. Personally, I have a canon of all time terrible matches; Giant Baba Vs. Raja Lion, Tom Magee Vs. Hiroshi Wajima, and The Great Antonio Vs. Antonio Inoki all feel like matches we've all seen and at the same time are so out there that you couldn't necessarily expect a wrestling nerd (at least at the PWO level) to not know about. They're all so short (and HORRIBLE) that there's really not much to say. At the same time, you could say the same about Villanos/Psycho Circus and yet here we are.

Point is - I dig the idea of the pod. It feels kinda weird that it took a pod about tremendously bad wrestling to get me to start posting on a board again after so long, but at the same time, it feels so right. There's no point in enjoying something if you can't poke fun at it, right?

Thanks so much, that is so amazing! That's totally what we are going for.

23 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

On your question about upload time. I download my podcasts at home and then listen to them at work. So as long as it's available by evening, I'm good.

Awesome, I think I will try for midnight, so it's ready by morning, but we'll see.

Wasn't a big part of the backlash to the Villanos vs. Circus tied in to the condition of Villano III? I felt like a lot of people at the time thought he shouldn't be in the ring due to having had a stroke or something like that? I could be completely wrong though. 

On 6/28/2018 at 12:14 PM, Mad Dog said:

Wasn't a big part of the backlash to the Villanos vs. Circus tied in to the condition of Villano III? I felt like a lot of people at the time thought he shouldn't be in the ring due to having had a stroke or something like that? I could be completely wrong though. 

I actually don't recall at all... if he was at risk that would change some things for sure.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Golden Grahams are back from their summer vacation to bring you the ultimate Who Booked This? as we look at an episode of GLOW from November 1986. Sylvester Stalone's mom is here along with some of the worst and most racist comedy ever! We cover all that, along with some wrestling matches that may or may not be alright!

Note: The original video we watched was removed from YouTube by the WWE, so I don't know how you will watch what we watched. Also, if we did pause to insert any clips, it won't happen. Our apologies.

• 2 weeks later...