General Chat topic

Loss

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

- The Simpsons (let's call it seasons 2-9)

- Seinfeld

- Frasier

- The Twilight Zone

- The Office (US, through Carell's departure+finale)

- Law & Order (the classic)

- Breaking Bad

- Arrested Development

- Batman: TAS

- Mystery Science Theater 3000

Dang... people posting here have some pretty good taste in TV.

Batman: TAS, MST3K, The Office, Fawlty Towers, Friday Night Lights... all great shows. I don't think there's been a bad choice posted yet. A couple of shows I haven't seen yet, to add to my list of things to watch some day.

The Wire

Comedies:

Seinfeld

Curb Your Enthusiasm

Golden Girls

Veep

Dramas:

Breaking Bad

Mad Men

Friday Night Lights

My #1 is my #1, then we split off into these categories. I feel like Master of None and Better Call Saul will be on this list eventually, but it feels premature to put them there now.

I would really have to think on TV shows. I will spread my love of Rick and Morty though.

Also, it didn't fit anywhere here but I am coming up on my weight loss anniversary next week. I got diagnosed with diabetes in 2016 so I dropped from 285 lbs. to 185 lbs. Next week is my 1 year anniversary for hitting my goal and keeping the weight off. I also don't have diabetes anymore because of the weight loss.

I would really have to think on TV shows. I will spread my love of Rick and Morty though.

Also, it didn't fit anywhere here but I am coming up on my weight loss anniversary next week. I got diagnosed with diabetes in 2016 so I dropped from 285 lbs. to 185 lbs. Next week is my 1 year anniversary for hitting my goal and keeping the weight off. I also don't have diabetes anymore because of the weight loss.

Damn, man. 100 pounds. And you kept it off. That's amazing. Congratulations.

The Simpsons

Breaking Bad

Seinfeld

Dexter

Law & Order: SVU

Bojack Horseman

Family Guy

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Big Bang Theory

The Office (U.S.)

How do you feel about late era Dexter?

After season 4 it becomes a super peaks and valleys show. Hated season 5, thought season 6 was pretty good, season 7 was OK, season 8 started strong but completely sputtered out at the finish line.

What are everyone's favorite genres of music? I really genuinely love the post-disco of the late 70s and early 80s, stuff like Indeep's "Last Night a DJ Saved My Life", Prince's 1999 album, Madonna's first album, Shannon's "Let The Music Play" etc. But really, all the sounds I like seem to have been at their strongest during this era. I love punk, especially the poppier stuff from groups like The Buzzcocks and The Clash. I love new wave. I even love disco and think it gets a bad label because of some crap songs that ended up the biggest hits of the era. Love funk and R&B. Love hip hop, especially earlier stuff. Love electro. Everything that led to that era and sprung directly from it is stuff I generally like. I enjoy classical and jazz sometimes, but know less than I should. Not a huge fan of straight up house music for the most part unless there's also a strong pop hook to it, with a few exceptions. I kinda hate prog-rock for the most part and prefer post-punk to quench my experimental pop/rock thirst.

Other interests where I'm not quite as obsessive as wrestling, but definitely dig deeper than the average bear are neoimpressionist art (Haring, Basquiat, etc) and post-World War II American history. I love reading biographies. I've never been much of a fiction guy. Love James Baldwin, Sylvia Plath, and Anne Sexton. Not really into comics or video games.

I am an absolute maniac for classical music. I own well over 500 classical CDs and have hundreds and hundreds of classical music files on my hard drive.

Handel, Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Dvorak, Tchaikovsky, Chopin, Prokofiev, Ives, and Janacek are among my favourite composers.

Walter, Szell, Gergiev, Reiner, Klemperer, Bernstein, Mackerras, Gardiner, and Furtwangler are among my favourite conductors.

Richter, Gilels, Rubinstein, Heifetz, Menuhin, Du Pre, Rostropovich, Argerich, Brendel, Kempff, and Oistrakh are among my favourite musicians.

I am more than happy to makes lists or recommendations for anyone interested.

I am also into jazz, mainly late-50s stuff, Miles, Monk, Mingus, 'Trane... and also Duke Ellington and Louis Armstrong.

Are you into neo-classical at all? That's definitely an area where I'd love recommendations that aren't Philip Glass, since he's really all I know. But I do like him, so based on that, if there are other artists you think I'd like, I'm all ears.

Check out John Adams: Short Ride in a Fast Machine and Chairman Dances, conducted by Rattle, if you can find it.

Morton Feldman's Rothko Chapel is, in my opinion, a masterpiece.

Charles Ives' Central Park in the Dark and The Unanswered Question predate minimalism by a generation or so, but you might love those like I do. Bernstein's versions are my favourties.

and maybe try Kronos Quartet's version of Steve Reich's Different Trains.

Let me know what you think, if you try any of those.

The Big Bang Theory? That show sucks -- has sucked for some years now. The first couple of seasons were good, but it went downhill quickly.

What sports does everyone follow? I'm a massive football fan -- but a neutral. I'm going on vacation to Italy and Spain at the end of the month -- will be in Rome, Florence, Turin, Milan, Madrid, Seville, Valencia and Barcelona in a 2 week span. I'm visiting a ton of stadiums and museums, so I will hopefully find a club I can identify with to support.

I'm not sure if I can come up with ten TV shows but some of my favorites are:

Simpsons

King of the Hill

Twin Peaks

Chappelle's Show

Lucky Louie

Portlandia

Lost

Twilight Zone

Jeopardy! Who doesn't love yelling at the TV?

I own hundreds of CD's and my music tastes are all over the place. Current rotation:

Converge

Wu-Tang and most affiliates (Czarface, GZA)

Miles Davis

Dinosaur Jr.

PJ Harvey

Silversun Pickups

Iron Maiden

Stevie Nicks

Sports:

I run competitively but don't really watch much sports. I do love hockey and I do love/hate the Islanders.