General Chat topic

Loss

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just catching up on this thread... good stuff.

I work in the laboratory supply industry, primarily dealing with municipalities and government agencies.

Have had the same girlfriend for 8.5 years. No kids. Just a Portie.

Favorite music is hard to pin down, as I am a huge music fan (and record collector). My favorite band ever is Drive-By Truckers. Also very much into the nebulous genre of “alternative country,” bands like Lucero, Whiskeytown (and some of Ryan Adams solo stuff), Uncle Tupelo, Son Volt, Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, etc. Also into stuff like Springsteen, Dylan, The Band, and old classic/honky tonk country. It’s a big passion in general for me.

Favorite TV shows:

The Wire

The Sopranos

Survivor (including the international versions like Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa)

Breaking Bad

Seinfeld

Friday Night Lights

Twin Peaks

The Wonder Years

Monty Python

Arrested Development

Coffee is my vice. Sober for 6.5 years, stopped smoking 5 years ago.

Just catching up on this thread... good stuff.

I work in the laboratory supply industry, primarily dealing with municipalities and government agencies.

Have had the same girlfriend for 8.5 years. No kids. Just a Portie.

Favorite music is hard to pin down, as I am a huge music fan (and record collector). My favorite band ever is Drive-By Truckers. Also very much into the nebulous genre of “alternative country,” bands like Lucero, Whiskeytown (and some of Ryan Adams solo stuff), Uncle Tupelo, Son Volt, Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, etc. Also into stuff like Springsteen, Dylan, The Band, and old classic/honky tonk country. It’s a big passion in general for me.

Favorite TV shows:

The Wire

The Sopranos

Survivor (including the international versions like Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa)

Breaking Bad

Seinfeld

Friday Night Lights

Twin Peaks

The Wonder Years

Monty Python

Arrested Development

Coffee is my vice. Sober for 6.5 years, stopped smoking 5 years ago.

Man I saw Jason Isbell for the first time at the end of last year and it totally blew me away, one of those guys I'm gonna have to see every time he comes through

So I'm heading over to Toronto at the end of June to mid July from the UK... Any decent shows on? Saw that there's a Smash/CZW show, but was hoping some indie luchadores might have been booked on something! Definitely checking out some Blue Jays games

I hope you enjoy it and everybody is welcoming to you. Sadly, I haven't been to an indie show in the Toronto area since 1999 or so. Unless you count Ring of Honor, I guess.

I didn't realize this thread was what it was. I figured it was a thread about getting a Chat feature on the board. So I'll join the fun.

TV Shows

The Wire

South Park

Seinfeld

Curb

Twin Peaks

Game of Thrones

Broad City

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

Don't Trust the B in Apt 23

X Files

Honorable mention goes to so many things: 30 Rock, Parks & Rec, Schitt's Creek, Band of Brothers, West Wing, Friday Night Lights.

Sports - Just basketball. Though I wish we could get basketball and hockey season staggered. Hockey is a lot of fun, but I never watch it because of basketball. I will say though, although I don't watch baseball (boring) football (bad for humanity) soccer & hockey (i actively want to just don't have the time), Tennis (eh, even I'm not that weird), Nascar/Golf (Not sports), I've watched every single ESPN 30 for 30. I've watched a bunch of other hbo or other sports related docs and read a bunch of books about those spots. Like I could never EVER sit through an entire baseball game in 2018 (or lets be honest, any year). But tell me there's some definitive biography about Babe Ruth or Josh Gibson or Martin Dihigo or or the 1910s Oakland A's and I'll totally be open to reading it.

Like many people, I'd say a really wide range of music. If I could only have one genre to listen to for the rest of my life, I'd go with Motown. Or Soul. Or whatever I needed to say to for the Ronettes, Sam Cooke, Supremes, Temptations, Marvin Gaye, Otis Redding, Betty Swann, Martha and the Vandellas, the Crystals etc etc etc to be in my eternal playlist. But I've probably listened to Joni Mitchell more than any other artist ever. Or Bob Dylan. Or Prince. A ton of old country; Townes, John Prine, Iris Dement, all the obvious folks. For more modern stuff, I adore First Aid Kit. THey are perfection. A lot of bluegrass; Green Sky Bluegrass, Trampled by Turtles, etc. Neko Case is great. There's a bunch of rap/hip hop I love and couldn't live without. Everything from KRS One & Boogie Down Productions to Beyonce. There are some amazing modern female rappers. JunglePussy is a goddamn queen and literally everything she does is incredible. Princess Nokia. Chynna Rogers. There's some really great stuff. Oh and Madonna. Always Madonna.

I like a super wide variety of movies too. I watched Singin in the Rain for the millionth time the other day, but I also love Fast and Furious.

Other hobbies would really just be reading. Again a fairly wide variety, but usually non-fiction sadly. Usually about Ancient Egypt, but I'm down for just about any ancient history or pre history. I've been thinking after I finish the GWE Top 100-Cheeses project, I might have to do a which monolithic structure is which wrestler thread next. It would be that or weed strains.

Oh, I guess hiking would probably count as a hobby. I'm in the Pacific NW so there are a million billion different options.

TV

Breaking Bad

Friday Night Lights

Twin Peaks

The Shield

Better Call Saul

Six Feet Under

Batman: The Animated Series

Star Trek: The Next Generation

Seinfeld

The Wonder Years

Music

My three favorite bands are ALL, Fugazi and Black Sabbath. I mostly jam a lot of metal, hardcore and punk. I try to cast as wide a net as possible, though. I fuck with a little jazz and I've developed a bit of a goth streak lately. Been dipping into industrial and EBM, too. Really digging Front 242 and Youth Code. I have no guilty pleasures, either. If I like it, that's the long and the short of it. That explains "Sure Know Something" being my favorite KISS song.

I can't get away from Thin Lizzy and Steely Dan for the last couple years, especially Thin Lizzy. Always dug 'em, but life needed to knock me around a bit before I could really hang.

I'm single with no kids. I'm a bartender and a server. I'm damn good at what I do, but I'd really like to do something else for a living. It's a young person's game and my knees hurt. I'm peopled the fuck out.

As far as vices go, it's drinkin'. I'm not physically addicted and I can do a month or two without it, no problem. But, once I get my buzz on, it's hard to stop. I like beer and I love scotch and bourbon, but gettin' drunk gets in the way of living anymore. It's a big reason why I want to get out of the service industry; I'm around it all the damn time.

I love basketball. It's the only sport I make time for anymore. I grew up with the Bad Boys-era Detroit Pistons and I've been hooked ever since.

As far as other hobbies outside of Our Great Sport, I play drums. Lots of blast beats and D-beats. Been workin' on shuffles a lot lately, too.

Had to cancel my pull list due to financial concerns, but I was reading Sex Criminals, The Walking Dead, Southern Bastards and anything by Ed Brubaker.

Lastly, and most importantly, I have a three and half year old boxer named Boris. He is the cutest, silliest, sweetest little boy in the whole entire world.

Am I the only one who is reminded of Gordi every time I see Thanos pop up somewhere?

Ha! Without thinking about it, I wore a light-purple t shirt when I went to watch the movie. A couple of people thought it was a low-key Thanos cosplay.

In much the same way that I surprised myself by genuinely enjoying NJPW Dominion this year, I was surprised how much I enjoyed Infinity War. I guess my tolerance for spectacle is increasing. I was impressed with how they tied so many characters and stories together. I really enjoyed seeing different combinations of heroes bouncing off each other. I loved the sets and locations. I thought the ending had a perfect "big comic book event" feel. I'm really looking forward to the sequel (and the G-1)!

So I'm heading over to Toronto at the end of June to mid July from the UK... Any decent shows on? Saw that there's a Smash/CZW show, but was hoping some indie luchadores might have been booked on something! Definitely checking out some Blue Jays games

Toronto in the summer rules! There is also Toronto Football Club to check out too. Lots and lots to do.

There is a lucha company, that occasionally brings in names. Other indies run here too. Let me know if you head to Smash, we can greet and stuff.

Toronto in the summer rules! There is also Toronto Football Club to check out too. Lots and lots to do.

There is a lucha company, that occasionally brings in names. Other indies run here too. Let me know if you head to Smash, we can greet and stuff.

Would love to man, will definitely be in touch

Would love to man, will definitely be in touch

I would also extend an invitation to meet, but unfortunately I am a borderline agoraphobic who only leaves his apartment to work and get supplies. You're in much better hands with Grimmas. :)

• 4 weeks later...

If you haven't played it, the remake of Wonder Boy 3 is really fantastic. I've been working my way through that. 

This is a picture of my set up. It has a Sega Master System, Sega Genesis, Atari 7800, Famicom, NES, SNES and N64. Not pictured but also in the room is a Neo Geo Pocket Color, Game Gear and most versions of the Game Boy. I also have an Atari 2600 but it's a Darth Vader one. 

20180708_204747.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2018 at 9:58 PM, gordi said:

What are your top 10 (non-wrestling) T.V. shows of all time?

Narrowing down to ten is tough.

- The Wire

- The Sopranos

- True Detective (Season 1)

- I, Claudius

- Fawlty Towers

- King of the Hill

- Frasier

- The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson

- Parks and Recreation

- Bob's Burgers

EDIT: I forgot Breaking Bad and Planet Earth. I feel like both of those are in my top ten, but I don't know what to take out. Also, shouts outs to Aaahhh!!! Real Monsters.

DOUBLE EDIT: I am really into all sorts of music. Right now, I am mainly into hip hop and country music. Not the radio country music that is absolutely deplorable. Modern country artists I am into are Sturgill Simpson, Cody Jinks, Hellbound Glory, Chris Stapleton, Angaleena Presley, Karen Jonas, and Kacey Musgraves (didn't dig her last album though.) As far as hip hop goes, I am a huge Kanye fan. I dig Run the Jewels, Kendrick Lamar, Danny Brown, and OutKast. 

TRIPLE EDIT: I mainly follow American football and the NBA, but I am interested in all sorts of sports and will check up on football (soccer), MMA, boxing and others. I am a huge Texas Longhorns fan for college football, Dallas Cowboys fan, and OKC Thunder fan. 

• 2 months later...

DDPY update. 6 months in of using the App (+ one year of the old videos). I've done my best Extreme Psycho workout ever (got up on those damn extreme push-ups, no reps but going up twice was already a feat as far as I'm concerned) and finally hit the 10 Ten seconds push-ups today (ok, 7 done allright, the 8th was a struggle and the last two were as godawful as that Taker vs HHH aussie match, but I never hit the ground with my knees so it counts damnit!). Yay me.

• 4 months later...

Just came here to self-promote a little bit.

Almost 10 years ago, I recorded an album of songs inspired by the Hart Family and Chris Benoit called Sheer Hart Attack. Its self-made, lo-fi punk weirdness  - an aural battle royal of Guided By Voices, They Might Be Giants, and Husker Du - and it is available on Bandcamp for the first time ever now. You can check it out here.

Originally released under the band name Double Murder Suicide, I've finally re-branded as Double Moonsault as the original DMS name certainly pushed away a lot of potential listeners with the offensiveness of it. In 2017 I released my last album Razor's Edge Suitcase, but this one, from 2009, is probably my favorite album that I've done and I hope you give it a listen. The full download comes with 21 bonus tracks too and you can read about those on the Bandcamp site. Check it out, PWOites!

• 2 weeks later...

DDPY update. For the first time, did 130 push-ups during the 100 push-ups challenge session. I killed the game. Well, my game anyway. DO IT people, it works.

I totally gonna let my sub from last year roll over in April, especially since it apparently keeps me at the promo rate I got (86$ for a year).

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

130 sounds insane. Do you do 10 at a time or you go all out?

It's during the course of a 35-40 minutes workout, so you go through 20-15-25 at a time depending on the moment. Of course you do other stuff in between, which is not exactly resting either. ;) It's actually not the worse though. There's this 40mn work out where DDP blows the fuck out of you with 50 straight after the warm-up, then you go back doing five 10sc push-ups later then 35 more simple ones at the end. It took me forever before I was able to do this one. All of this is advanced/extreme stuff though. Two years ago I was doing 20 minutes beginners stuff and having difficulties doing the simple poses. :) (so yeah, to reiterate, it works, and of course the push-ups are only one little fun part of the deal, but it's one where you can easily quantify your progress, I'm also crazy more flexible which isn't hard considering where I started)

That's great to hear, brother. I did a few yoga classes when I was like 14 and I was wrecked afterwards - and it was at a time where I was comfortable enough with my kung fu classes, so it's not like I was a couch potato.

Reading this routine sounds exhausting enough, but it does look like it can get you in some proper shape. Bless you, DDP.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, offspring515 said:

Hey gang I’ve started a vlog to detail my ongoing battle with obesity. Thanks to anyone who checks it out . 

A Quarter Ton of Fun

Just checked it out and subbed, best of luck to you sir. I'm also on my own weight loss journey (started at 289.5 and now down to to 272 since the new year with an end goal of 195 by January 2020) and it is never easy but always rewarding to get control of my life back. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

DDP Yoga update That Living in the Red Zone 70mn routine probably wouldn't be so damn hard if DDP wouldn't have you try to do 9 10sc push-ups at the very beginning. And a few ones later on. No idea how I even manage to go through this. Only did that one 4 times in the last year and a half. It's quite a ride...