Pro Wrestling Only

I'm hosting a weekly podcast with Jerry Jarrett - help me out!

Sean Liska

Can you listen to your music through Bluetooth in your car? My iphone connects through Bluetooth and listening to podcasts is a breeze. At home, either through your laptop or invest in a small Bluetooth speaker.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what we have.

Wait. I'll get back to that.

Ok, I have a question for next week. A stop the presses sort of question. They showed a couple of minutes on TV of a lot of the arena stuff, even in 93. Like the Owen Hart or Bret Hart stuff. Is there any chance at all the full tape of those matches exist somewhere or was it just cut up, taped only in part, or simply taped over?

So my absolute favorite part of the WWF/Memphis thing, past maybe Fink's promo, is Doink in the studio, especially his TV squash match tag with Christopher where he just absolutely kills a jobber. It's the best Matt Borne Doink performance ever. Just brutal. That's not on youtube, I don't think, but man is it good stuff.

Can you listen to your music through Bluetooth in your car? My iphone connects through Bluetooth and listening to podcasts is a breeze. At home, either through your laptop or invest in a small Bluetooth speaker.

I was able to Dropbox it to my phone. I'll have to try Bluetooth in the car later.

Enjoyed the first episode a good bit. I understand why you would start with Kaufman, although Jerry was admittedly distanced from a lot of the process there. We still got Jerry speaking to his own booking strategies & philosophies a bit, which was cool.

No mention of Bruce or any silly bullshit, which I appreciated. Can't wait to hear Jerry tackle a topic in which he was more involved & hands-on. Solid start.

I finally listened to the first episode (I was saving it for a long drive).

Awesome, awesome stuff.

I won't spoil anything, but I'll just say that I was really surprised by what Jerry Jarrett said about the drawing aspect of Andy Kaufman's run.

Sean did a great job. He was prepared and knowledgeable, but he never interrupted or overstepped Jerry. It also helps that Sean has a good voice. I know that's superficial to comment on because not everyone is blessed that way (including me), but it really makes things much more enjoyable to listen to. Jerry's Southern dialect and pronunciations were darling too.

The audio quality was also superb. It was like Sean and Jerry were in the car with me. No, actually better, because I think my car's audio system is superior and easier to understand than live human voices. ;)

All in all, the hour flew by, and I'm definitely looking forward to more (I know the second podcast is already out, but since it's a two-parter, I might wait for the third first).

BTW, I'm really happy that this podcast is on iTunes now. For the first podcast, I Dropboxed it onto my phone. That worked very well, but having it native to iTunes will be even easier. I've already subscribed.

I finally listened to the first episode (I was saving it for a long drive).

Awesome, awesome stuff.

I won't spoil anything, but I'll just say that I was really surprised by what Jerry Jarrett said about the drawing aspect of Andy Kaufman's run.

Sean did a great job. He was prepared and knowledgeable, but he never interrupted or overstepped Jerry. It also helps that Sean has a good voice. I know that's superficial to comment on because not everyone is blessed that way (including me), but it really makes things much more enjoyable to listen to. Jerry's Southern dialect and pronunciations were darling too.

The audio quality was also superb. It was like Sean and Jerry were in the car with me. No, actually better, because I think my car's audio system is superior and easier to understand than live human voices. ;)

All in all, the hour flew by, and I'm definitely looking forward to more (I know the second podcast is already out, but since it's a two-parter, I might wait for the third first).

BTW, I'm really happy that this podcast is on iTunes now. For the first podcast, I Dropboxed it onto my phone. That worked very well, but having it native to iTunes will be even easier. I've already subscribed.

Thanks so much much for the nice feedback, putting yourself out there to be judged by the Internet can be stressful and negative. Funny you say I'm blessed with a good voice, I hear myself as being cursed with a nasally high pitched voice but I guess we all have our things about ourself. I would recommend listening to part 1 of the Vince episode because we're saving part 2 for maybe a month from now. There's some good wrestling history recorded on that one, like Jerry saying he did get a phone call from Vince Sr warning him of Vince's national expansion.

I enjoyed the second episode a lot. I'd explain it like this: you don't always get what I think the absolute truth is, but you always get the truth Jerry believes, and because he's so interesting a guy, it's a truth worth hearing. Like, I wouldn't have the heart to tell him that no, Waltman and Marty didn't have a long reign.

So I really think everyone will enjoy this week's episode. We decided to do a more Memphis TV-style fast-paced episode, I just throw about 25 names from Jerry's history at him and he tells the first story that comes to mind. Why was Randy Savage the most honorable man he ever met in wrestling, what did Lou Thesz do in a match with Dory Funk to lose Jerry's respect for a time, how did Terry Funk try to get him in trouble at an NWA convention, why did Eddie Graham stop talking to him for a year, hear him talk about holding The Rock in his lap while Rocky Johnson worked the MSC in the late 70's, just tons of random gems that you can probably only get from Jerry, Bill Watts, or Vince McMahon. And the other two don't have podcasts yet.

Thanks for the kind words so far! I just want people to feel like I'm taking advantage of this great opportunity. Listen here - http://bookingmemphis.lisbyn.com.

I think a fun one this week. If you love Memphis and really want to know where the spirit of it came from, we went deep this week. The initial premise was the art of booking TV, but we go off into Jerry's love of literature, romantic poetry, how watching a late-night B-movie inspired the idea for the scaffold match, stuff like that. I think this is an episode perfectly geared for a place like this that likes to go into depth on things. As always, we're at http//www.bookingmemphis.libsyn.com.

Sounds very cool. The name association episode was a blast. Definitely serves as a teaser for possible shows in the future.

Still wish the whole Bruce deal could've been sidestepped, but it didn't ruin the experience altogether or anything.

Some of Jerry's phrases and sayings - specifically never seeing a horse that couldn't be rode, or a cowboy that couldn't be "throwed" - just cracked me up. I can literally hear those things coming from my grandpa (who first introduced me to wrestling via Watts' shows in Shreveport and Lake Charles).

My grandpa is still with us, still a huge wrestling fan to this day, still my favorite person to attend live shows with, and still my all-time favorite storyteller. So you can understand how maybe the southern charm & good ole boy routine goes hand in hand with pro wrestling for me.

With all that being said, I look forward to listening to the new episode. Hope ya keep 'em coming, man.

Managed to listen to Episode 3: Memphis Quick Hits, and really enjoyed it. Plenty of little nuggets of information I didn't know as well as Jerry saying exactly what he thought of everyone brought up, pretty much as candid as I'd hope. Great work Sean, you and Jerry have a good rapport and looking forward to listening to more shows.  

Really enjoying this so I'll echo the support. Finally had a chance to binge the first three episodes. Sean's a very likable host with an ability to steer the conversation in the right direction, so we actually get a lot out of Jerry and it always seems focused. Also really nice is the format of the show rotating around a bit. I'm excited to check out the new one and keep it up!

I'm glad you're all enjoying the show! I really wanted to do a show that people like you would enjoy. We'll definitely play the random names game again. We have a ton more to do on Vince and WWE but he doesn't want to make it too NY-centric since it's called Booking Memphis. And the man also has an interesting Rolodex, there are some names that have been floated where they could catch up and tell some real fun stories.

Had a bit of a drive again today, so I loaded up another podcast. Naturally, the one I chose was...Something to Wrestle With: Bob Holly. (Haha, you thought I was going to say something else, didn't you? :P But there's a reason I'm mentioning it, so keep reading...)

After a terrible introduction with a bunch of advertisements and some atrocious accents, Bruce and Conrad started talking about Jerry Jarrett. Basically, Prichard said he doesn't believe it's really Jerry on Twitter. I was glazing my eyes at this. Then I looked at the running time of the podcast: close to four hours. I said "fuck this!" - I don't love any wrestler enough to listen to four hours about them. I switched over to Jerry Jarrett #2 about Vince McMahon, which clocks in at a more manageable one hour and change.

Lo and behold, the first thing Jerry and Sean did - coincidentally enough - was address the very podcast episode of Prichard's that I'd just backed out of. Of course, it really is Jerry posting on his Twitter account.

Anyway, they were off to the races from there. It's a tremendous listen. Some great stories - about more than just Vince. Two of my favorites were Jerry Jarrett's near national deal with "Showtime? USA!" and the origins of one of my all-time favorite characters, Kamala.

I left off at the part about Pat Patterson and the airline points, haha. I was tempted to keep driving aimlessly just to hear the rest. Can't wait to finish this up later.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure I wouldn't have to twist his arm to do that episode. I would feel obligated to do a ton of research before we do it to make sure its done absolutely right.

The episode this week may be my favorite. Just Jerry telling funny stories about a wide range of people who he had unique experiences with, from the predictable like Russo and Dixie to more interesting ones like Flair and Watts. Outside of Russo, it's not meant to be mean-spirited. I try to defend Russo even a little bit but no chance, no chance at all.

2 hours ago, Sean Liska said:

I'm sure I wouldn't have to twist his arm to do that episode. I would feel obligated to do a ton of research before we do it to make sure its done absolutely right.

The book might be a good place to start. It was written by a member of the family. Although, while it's very subtle, the author doesn't appear to be head-over-heels in love with Jerry himself. Then again, that could just be me reading into things that aren't there.

3 hours ago, Sean Liska said:

The episode this week may be my favorite. Just Jerry telling funny stories about a wide range of people who he had unique experiences with, from the predictable like Russo and Dixie to more interesting ones like Flair and Watts. Outside of Russo, it's not meant to be mean-spirited. I try to defend Russo even a little bit but no chance, no chance at all.

Looking forward to it! I'm a couple of podcasts behind. While I'm sure I don't have to listen to them in order or anything, that's how I like to do things.

• 2 weeks later...

My phone automatically started playing Episode 7 even though I picked Episode 4. I was wondering why there were no booking questions. :P

After that confusion was cleared up, I settled in and enjoyed the episode. It was the one with the NY Jets commentator guest hosting - Scott Nathan/Lathan/Latham? Needless to say, I have no idea who he is - he could be the J.R. of football for all I know, but I don't watch sports. :)

Still, it was a great episode and he did a great job, as did Sean.

After that, my phone/car tried to auto-play Episode 6. I wasn't having that. Finally, I started Episode 4, which is what I had intended to listen to from the beginning. Only got about ten minutes into it, but I'm already blown away. The last thing I expected Jerry Jarrett to start talking about was classic literature. He brings up "Et Tu, Brute" and explains which rivalry he used that for. Wow! I was sorry when I got home and had to stop. Can't wait to listen to more!

Thanks, I love episode 4, it feels like we're getting to the core of why Memphis was special with how he viewed wrestling as art and went into his love of classical literature and romantic poetry and everything. I'd honestly like to get some literature professor who knows a good amount about pro wrestling to come on and talk with him because I was a little out of my league, if anyone knows one let me know. This stuff isn't going to get a many clicks as talking about Vince or Steve Austin or Undertaker but whatever, I want to get to that core of why Memphis was so great and this is a window into it, .