Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Hidden Gems

NickH

Saturday 12/22/18.    This has already existed on the old WWE Classics on Demand.

AWA 12/25/1986 – AWA Brawl in St. Paul [Duration: 01:42:24]
It’s a St. Paul Steel Cage Showdown when Shawn Michaels and Marty Jannetty look to grab AWA tag team gold on Christmas Night 1986.

Buddy Wolfe vs. Buck Zumhofe.

• Earthquake Ferris vs. Brian Knobbs.
  • Boris Zhukov vs. Steve O.
  • Leon White, Greg Gagne, and Scott Hall vs. Mr. Saito, The Super Ninja, and Larry Zbyszko.
  • Nick Bockwinkel vs. Curt Hennig.
  • Jimmy Snuka vs. Col. DeBeers.
  • Steel Cage: The Midnight Rockers vs. Buddy Rose and Doug Somers.

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, paul sosnowski said:

Well, apparently ECW fans only get 9 minutes of the last Arena show....   ECW 12/23/2000 – An Extreme Christmas Gift [Duration: 00:09:11]
The Sandman takes on Steve Corino and Justin Credible in an extreme three-way dance from the last ECW event ever held at the ECW arena. 

Hey, I was at that show!

The whole PWUSA thing is so fascinating to me. Everyone always asks why didn't the other promotions band together to fight back against Vince, forgetting that they did and it kind of was working briefly before turning in to exactly what you'd expect to happen when old school promoters tried to work together.

Monday 12/24/18    AWA 12/25/1987 – AWA Christmas Night 1987 [Duration: 01:43:31]
It’s tag team mayhem as Paul Heyman leads his Original Midnight Express into action against Shawn Michaels and Marty Jannetty on Christmas Night.

Below is the card that took place initially for AWA Christmas Night 1987:

• Nick Kiniski vs. Mitch Snow
  • Kevin Kelly vs. Alan West
  • Nord The Barbarian vs. Soldat Ustinov
  • Adrian Adonis vs. Wahoo McDaniel
  • Greg Gagne vs. Curt Hennig
  • The Original Midnight Express vs. The Midnight Rockers

Tuesday 12/25/18. AWA 12/29/1985 – AWA Nite of Champions II [Duration: 02:27:04]
The AWA and NWA join forces for a supercard of epic proportions when Ric Flair battles Dusty Rhodes at Night of Champions II.  

the reported card for that show:

• Ron Bass vs. JJ Dillon
  • Little Tokyo vs. Cowboy Lang
  • Sherri Martel vs. Debbie Combs
  • Carlos Colon vs. Konga the Barbarian
  • Jake Roberts vs. Paul Ellering
  • Ricky Morton and Robert Gibson vs. Bill and Scott Irwin
  • Sgt. Slaughter vs. Chris Markoff and Boris Zhukov
  • Tully Blanchard vs. Magnum TA
  • Dust Rhodes vs. Ric Flair
  • The Road Warriors vs. Ivan Koloff and Krusher Kruschev
  • Rick Martel vs. Stan Hansen

On a personal note, I am very psyched that after all these years, we are getting another Magnum-Tully match!!!  And a new Dusty-Flair encounter

On 12/22/2018 at 4:57 PM, paul sosnowski said:

Well, apparently ECW fans only get 9 minutes of the last Arena show....   ECW 12/23/2000 – An Extreme Christmas Gift [Duration: 00:09:11]
The Sandman takes on Steve Corino and Justin Credible in an extreme three-way dance from the last ECW event ever held at the ECW arena. 

The whole show was released by RF a few years ago. It's pretty dull other than this match.

Some fun history with the AWA Christmas Night 1983 upload. Mean Gene announces to the crowd that Hulk Hogan is not there because he is "still in Japan". Crowd responds very negatively, and chants "We Want Hulk" during the 8-man tag that he was scheduled to be a part of. 

Two days later, both Gene and Hulk would be at WWF's first St. Louis TV taping. 

15 hours ago, paul sosnowski said:

Tuesday 12/25/18. AWA 12/29/1985 – AWA Nite of Champions II [Duration: 02:27:04]
The AWA and NWA join forces for a supercard of epic proportions when Ric Flair battles Dusty Rhodes at Night of Champions II.  

the reported card for that show:

• Ron Bass vs. JJ Dillon
  • Little Tokyo vs. Cowboy Lang
  • Sherri Martel vs. Debbie Combs
  • Carlos Colon vs. Konga the Barbarian
  • Jake Roberts vs. Paul Ellering
  • Ricky Morton and Robert Gibson vs. Bill and Scott Irwin
  • Sgt. Slaughter vs. Chris Markoff and Boris Zhukov
  • Tully Blanchard vs. Magnum TA
  • Dust Rhodes vs. Ric Flair
  • The Road Warriors vs. Ivan Koloff and Krusher Kruschev
  • Rick Martel vs. Stan Hansen

On a personal note, I am very psyched that after all these years, we are getting another Magnum-Tully match!!!  And a new Dusty-Flair encounter

If they put out this whole show, or any parts of this show, it'd be a double Christmas present situation. Again, my Ma took me and some pals to this show as a Christmas present when I was 15. I got a fucking World Title change live in a time where Leap Years were more common. It was one of the best Christmas presents I ever got.

I was at this card but only had a strong memory of Flair/Dusty and Hansen winning the title. I always thought the results were strange listing Jake Roberts v Paul Ellering. It was Buddy Roberts not Jake, which makes infinitely more sense. Re-watching I also remember the crowd turning on Carlos Colon in favor of the Barbarian-even with Paul Jones being there. It's amazing how much you can forget in 35 years.

2 hours ago, Hegs said:

I was at this card but only had a strong memory of Flair/Dusty and Hansen winning the title. I always thought the results were strange listing Jake Roberts v Paul Ellering. It was Buddy Roberts not Jake, which makes infinitely more sense. Re-watching I also remember the crowd turning on Carlos Colon in favor of the Barbarian-even with Paul Jones being there. It's amazing how much you can forget in 35 years.

It's funny how one typo can inadvertantly reveal how many sites use the same source. From what I can tell, Graham Cawthon's site has it listed as Jake instead of Buddy, and since nearly everyone uses his site as the go to for results they all ended up with the same mistake.

Also one thing that always struck me as odd is how unusual it was for a babyface to lose a world title clean (more or less) by submission. I know that Martel was on his way out to the WWF, but a babyface champ submitting the title away is still something you rarely see and it's not like Stan needed to build credibility as a tough guy. I always wondered if it was just Verne being petty over losing another top guy to Vince.