Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Hidden Gems

NickH

Ok, they're screwing with us over at Segunda Caida now. They know we've got, at the very least, State Patrol vs Can-Ams, Malenko/Guerrero vs Samurai/Ohtani and Gordy/Slinger vs Kawada/Kikuchi to watch for New Footage Fridays, and they keep giving us stuff like this:

12/14/1954 – The Legend of The Sheik [Duration: 11:09]

On his path to achieving legendary status as one of the pioneers of hardcore wrestling, The Sheik faced Juan Humberto at The Sportatorium.

02/22/1955 – The Bull is Loose [Duration: 21:30]

Danny Savich looks to tame one of the sport’s founding fathers of the hardcore style when he faces Wild Bull Curry from Dallas.

03/19/1957 – Becoming a Mad Dog [Duration: 14:34]

Before becoming known worldwide as the Mad Dog, ‘Mad’ Maurice Vachon took on The Amazing Zuma in this rarely seen contest from Texas. @khawk20

All of those sound amazing and important.

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maurice Vachon fought Bobby Manganoff on 3/19/57 in Dallas.   I believe the correct date is a week earlier on 3/12

3/12/57 Dallas (no results available)
----------------------------------------

Duke Keomuka & Danny McShain vs Pepper Gomez & Bobby Managoff
Lou Martinez vs Buddy Rogers
Jim Blood vs Otto Kuss
Larry Chene vs Art Nelson
Killer Joe Christie vs Don Evans
Amazing Zuma vs Maurice Vachon

----------------------------------------------------------------------

3/19/57 Dallas
Duke Keomuka beat Jim Blood
Bobby Managoff beat Maurice Vachon
Pepper Gomez drew Danny McShain
Pay Piret beat Rocky Columbo (sub for Killer Joe Christie)
Larry Chene drew Lou Martinez

For Thursday June 6, 2019

AWA 06/10/1984 – Mr. Rhodes Goes to Minnesota [Duration: 07:32]
Dusty Rhodes battles fellow WWE Hall of Famer Larry Zbyszko in this contest from St. Paul.

Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling 01/11/1987 – Battle of the Horsemen [Duration: 16:18]
Before joining forces in the Four Horsemen, Barry Windham and Arn Anderson went to war in this match from Charlotte.

Georgia Championship Wrestling 04/07/1984 – Snake Charmer [Duration: 19:22]
The Georgia Championship Wrestling TV title is on the line as Ronnie Garvin looks to dethrone Jake ‘The Snake’ Roberts.

On 6/6/2019 at 2:21 AM, khawk20 said:

Larry and dusty was super short.

Does anyone have any insight as to why? Dusty was a big star and had an ego but I was surprised Lar wasn't protected more. Dusty's pre-match promo was really silly and fun.

The heat and execution for the finish of the Roberts/Garvin match was good stuff.

I don't know why Dusty got what he got there. Larry was just in and had a nice match with curt on the previous card, then he gets basically squashed by a "special guest star" in for the battleroyal. 

Maybe Dusty demanded a short clean win in exchange for working a match on top of the battleroyal, and Verne acquiesced. 

Also maybe there wasn't a plan for Larry established yet beyond the mid card so taking a loss like this wouldn't be seen as detrimental to his future there (which I guess it wasn't as he started better programs later on).

20 hours ago, khawk20 said:

I don't know why Dusty got what he got there. Larry was just in and had a nice match with curt on the previous card, then he gets basically squashed by a "special guest star" in for the battleroyal. 

Maybe Dusty demanded a short clean win in exchange for working a match on top of the battleroyal, and Verne acquiesced. 

Also maybe there wasn't a plan for Larry established yet beyond the mid card so taking a loss like this wouldn't be seen as detrimental to his future there (which I guess it wasn't as he started better programs later on).

Larry spent June jobbing to the Fabs and wrestling Curt Hennig and Billy Robinson to draws.  He was just a guy on the card. 

Good lord, either Vince Russo was in charge of the Stampede reboot or whoever was doing it should be Vince's top writer. 

In 1 hour we had Kenny Johnson, H. Ivy Thomsen, Dick Butkus Jr, Dirty Dick Raines, and Principal Richard Pound

I suppose Kenny Johnson could be a real name, but the rest of those are something....

There was a Dirty Dick Raines who was a star of the 1930s-40s. His real name according to wrestlingdata.com was Charles Richard Raines. Close enough. As an aside, I just spent way too much time down the rabbit hole of trying to figure out when the meaning of dick shifted to something primarily sexual.

1 hour ago, Blehschmidt said:

Good lord, either Vince Russo was in charge of the Stampede reboot or whoever was doing it should be Vince's top writer. 

In 1 hour we had Kenny Johnson, H. Ivy Thomsen, Dick Butkus Jr, Dirty Dick Raines, and Principal Richard Pound

I suppose Kenny Johnson could be a real name, but the rest of those are something....

Reading this post, I didn't "get"  the H. Ivy Thomsen one until I said it out loud and I'm torn between how awful it is and my love of terrible puns.

Dick Pound is also a real-life bigwig for WADA who was a rather infamous name in Canada for awhile, going back to the Ben Johnson doping scandal. Though supposedly the Principal gimmick was based on a teacher that Bruce didn't like.

Other great Bruce Hart names: K.Y. Wakamatsu, Sodamn Insane, Frank Einstein (Carl Leduc doing a Frankenstein *and* grandson/great-grandson of Albert gimmick, seriously), Drago Zhivago, Ronald Trump, Ben Doon MacDonald, and dressing up then-young boy Junji Hirata as First Nation star Sonny Two Rivers.

This has nothing to do with Stampede, I don't think, but while I was kicking around wrestlingdata looking at the careers of some of these Stampede lifers, I came across a result for High Impact Wrestling (2000s indy based I think in Saskatchewan) for someone wrestling as "Gordon Solie, Jr.," which made me laugh out loud.

I am ashamed to admit this but I did like that the ref was called J Edgar Cooper :D

I am convinced that they put this Hidden Gems up just to see how long someone in the office would yell about having a show with a guy named H. Ivy Thomsen up.  

If you really want to go down a horrible path, imagine some of these awful names under 2019 Mauro.  "Dick Butkus Jr struggling more than Neal Anderson after he fumbled two times against the Packers this weekend".    And yes I am probably getting my 1999 Chicago Bears mixed up