Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Hidden Gems

NickH

The Main event JIP and post match interviews aired but that's it. I wasn't even sure they filmed the whole show.

This is a big surprise for me, and actually gives me hope that Twin Wars 90 was taped too (Flair-Pillman was brought in from the NWA for that show, in exchange for Verne loaning them the Destruction Crew (aka Minnesota Wrecking Crew II).

Should be fun although a bit bittersweet to see considering it was the last AWA title change.

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

Unless I'm wrong, I don't think this actually aired anywhere, right?

We’ll according to Wikipedia it was assumed it wasn’t even recorded. Would this be the last event to even resemble AWA as we know it ? I know it officially shut down in 1991 but I’d assumed it was still going in name only for the last couple of years. That’s the impression I’d always had anyway. 

23 minutes ago, sek69 said:

That was pretty much it for the AWA wasn't it? I know they officially ceased to exist in 1991, but I don't recall them doing anything past mid 1990 ish. 

There were TV tapings in Rochester, MN in June and August 1990.  I was at both of them.  Walked in 10 minutes before the bell and had front row (June) and second row (August) seats.  Sparse crowd!

49 minutes ago, khawk20 said:

The Main event JIP and post match interviews aired but that's it. I wasn't even sure they filmed the whole show.

This is a big surprise for me, and actually gives me hope that Twin Wars 90 was taped too (Flair-Pillman was brought in from the NWA for that show, in exchange for Verne loaning them the Destruction Crew (aka Minnesota Wrecking Crew II).

Should be fun although a bit bittersweet to see considering it was the last AWA title change.

At first, I confused SuperClash IV with Twin Wars when I read that announcement.  I was all excited that we'd see the Flair vs. Pillman match.  We have to keep hoping!  

34 minutes ago, vikingsfan73 said:

There were TV tapings in Rochester, MN in June and August 1990.  I was at both of them.  Walked in 10 minutes before the bell and had front row (June) and second row (August) seats.  Sparse crowd!

They also had 2 shows in 1991. IIRC, the tv show (at least the syndicated one) still aired on tv through 1991, but by that point it was just a "greatest hits" type show showing older matches.

For Thursday October 3, 2019

SmackDown Taping Dark Match 11/29/2001 – Brock Lesnar and Randy Orton face off as phenoms [Duration: 00:08:17]

Before they would go on to dominate the WWE landscape for nearly two decades, Brock Lesnar and Randy Orton face off in this rarely seen contest.

SmackDown Taping Dark Match 01/03/2002 – Brock Lesnar before he was “The Next Big Thing” [Duration: 00:06:27]

An up-and-coming Brock Lesnar gives Rico one of the toughest challenges of his career.

SmackDown Taping Dark Match 03/23/2007 – Kofi Kingston and The Miz’s early showdown [Duration: 00:08:10]

Kofi Kingston shows The Miz the definition of awesome as he battles the cocky superstar in The Miz’s hometown of Cleveland.

SmackDown Taping Dark Match 12/14/2007 – A young Kofi Kingston faces an extreme opponent [Duration: 00:08:20]

For Thursday October 10, 2019

WCW 01/27/1999 – Festival de Lucha [Duration: 02:07:30]

A who’s who of WCW’s Lucha Libre Superstars, including Rey Mysterio, Juventud Guerrera, Psychosis and more, gather for this aerial extravaganza.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Felino, Super Boy & Villano V vs. Kendo, Silver King & Venum

Damien, El Mosco & Halloween vs. La Parka, Salsero & Super Calo

Blitzkrieg, Piloto Suicida & Raul vs. El Texano, Rey Misterio Sr. & Villano III

Juventud Guerrera, Pirata Morgan & Psicopata vs. Hector Garza, Konnan & Rey Mysterio Jr.

El Mosco, Felino & Juventud Guerrera vs. Piloto Suicida, Raul & Salsero

Kaz Hayashi, Psychosis & Ron Rivera vs. Blitzkrieg, Kendo & La Parka

Fidel Sierra, Pierroth Jr., Psicopata & Ricky Santana vs. El Texano, Rey Misterio Sr., Villano III & Villano V

Chris Jericho, Johnny Swinger, Lenny Lane & Norman Smiley vs. Hector Garza, Konnan, Rey Mysterio Jr. & Silver King

Disco Inferno vs. Konnan

For Thursday October 17, 2019

Central States Wrestling 04/02/1977 – Harley Race battles Dick Murdoch [Duration: 00:06:23]
Witness the closing moments of Harley Race facing Dick Murdoch from the predecessor to Mid-South Wrestling.

Houston Wrestling 02/22/1985 – Kerry Von Erich faces Gino Hernandez [Duration: 00:14:28]
“The Modern Day Warrior” Kerry Von Erich challenges “Gorgeous” Gino Hernandez for the Texas Heavyweight Title in this contest from Houston.

Mid-South Wrestling 11/11/1985 – “Hacksaw” and Buzz tear down New Orleans [Duration: 01:12:40]
The bitterness between “Hacksaw” Jim Duggan and Buzz Sawyer cannot be contained in their wild showdown. Plus, Jake “The Snake” Roberts, “Hacksaw” Butch Reed and more in action in this Mid-South Wrestling event.

El Corsario & Steve Williams vs. The Bruise Brothers (Mad Dog Boyd & Pork Chop Cash)
Jake Roberts vs. Lord Humongous
Mid-South Tag Team Title Match: Al Perez & Wendell Cooley (c) vs. Eddie Gilbert & The Nightmare
Bounty Match: Butch Reed vs. Dick Slater
No Disqualification Match: Buzz Sawyer vs. Jim Duggan

1 hour ago, paul sosnowski said:

Central States Wrestling 04/02/1977 – Harley Race battles Dick Murdoch [Duration: 00:06:23]
Witness the closing moments of Harley Race facing Dick Murdoch from the predecessor to Mid-South Wrestling.

Seems like a pretty glaring mistake to have the portion of the Network that attracts the history buffs call Central States the "predecessor to Mid South". 

So,

we had the Duggan/Sawyer match obviously (#4 on the DVDVR set though maybe this version has something new/different/etc.), and Pete thinks we have the Gilbert/Nightmare tag.

But do people think that:

El Corsario & Steve Williams vs. The Bruise Brothers (Mad Dog Boyd & Pork Chop Cash)
Jake Roberts vs. Lord Humongous
Bounty Match: Butch Reed vs. Dick Slater

are new?

We definitely have the Gilbert/Nightmare tag.    I also thought we had Kerry vs Gino from 2/22/85, but I cannot locate it anywhere.   Is it possible those two worked a double shot that night?   Houston is almost 4 hours from Dallas, and they had a famous lumberjack tag match that same day at Dallas TV taping

9 minutes ago, paul sosnowski said:

We definitely have the Gilbert/Nightmare tag.    I also thought we had Kerry vs Gino from 2/22/85, but I cannot locate it anywhere.   Is it possible those two worked a double shot that night?   Houston is almost 4 hours from Dallas, and they had a famous lumberjack tag match that same day at Dallas TV taping

I know we have a 12/27 Gino vs Kerry match from the Houston collection. This feels new?