Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Hidden Gems

NickH

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little exclusive Twitter bonus for you all - the first confirmed #HiddenGem for tomorrow:

Georgia Championship Wrestling 04/07/1984 - Ric Flair vs Jack Brisco (NWA World Heavyweight Championship)

Appears to be from Baltimore with Jack getting a title shot after winning a tournament in GCW.

It will be interesting to see how much we get this week. If it's one match, that will really hurt the concept for a lot of people. Guess we will soon find out.

Yes, but if it's just one match, at least it's that match?

I'll take Brisco/Flair any day of the week. I've read it goes about 30min and even though Jack is past his prime it still should be a very good match.

Worth noting that the WCW March 1984 shows setting this up are on youtube thanks to Kris. You can see the Brisco tournament matches vs Sweet Brown Sugar and Brad Armstrong, plus Horner getting a surprise roll-up on Hawk and the Horner/Armstrong tournament match where the Roadies take out Armstrong by accident and the subsequent promo where Brisco wouldn't give Armstrong a week to recover. Plus another Brisco and Flair promo setting up the match. Always better to watch stuff in context when we have it.

The people who usually know these things (or figure them out) are saying we just get the one match today. I've only dipped my toe in but it's JIP (only slightly? 2-5 mins, I'd say), a little over 20 mins, with 3 minutes of Ole screwing around beforehand which are absolutely gold.

Brisco looks like he could have wrestled another six years and been very good. Loved the build up to this, with Brisco not being a heel, but being vicious in his treatment of Armstrong. You can see why he was such a great touring champion.

Jake Roberts booked all this and is a testament to his mind. Every tourney match had a purpose, whether it built the tournament or to the rest of the show.

From David Bixenspan's twitter.

According to a WWE spokesman, Hidden Gems on WWE Network will be one match most weeks. That can change, like last week being more to reintroduce the concept, but for now, we should expect a match a week.

I get they don't want to upload too much, just wanted a little more. Not the way I would have done it but hey it's better than nothing.

Haha just watching the brisco vs flair match and at they start with ole Anderson talking to the fans and he's actually coming across like a nice guy. He's not the cranky bastard we know now. He also can't remember the Baltimore promotors name and has to do a retake.

Ole was a host on the Georgia show and has a charm to him. As a face he has a lot of credibility because he never seems like he is bullshitting you. It also makes his heel turns hurt more.

Nice to see a pre Yoko match from tv tapings and cool that Simmons/Vader in full exists with commentary. Was it supposed to air in full?

Probably unlikely the Steiners/Anderson & Eaton Cage Match was filmed.

That Steiners one would definitely be awesome to see. I'm a sucker for anything in Chicago. I missed that one and still regret it.

I can't remember if it was wcw magazine or pwi that had pics of the cage match but the arena was well lit so guessing it could have been filmed.

Nice to see a pre Yoko match from tv tapings and cool that Simmons/Vader in full exists with commentary. Was it supposed to air in full?

Probably unlikely the Steiners/Anderson & Eaton Cage Match was filmed.

That Steiners one would definitely be awesome to see. I'm a sucker for anything in Chicago. I missed that one and still regret it.

I can't remember if it was wcw magazine or pwi that had pics of the cage match but the arena was well lit so guessing it could have been filmed.

I think it was WCW magazine because I seem to remember seeing them shown during one of the WCW magazine TV segments with Bischoff.

Come on, have to remember when they were doing dumps of 20 it would be a mix of actual "hidden" gems and before they were stars TV matches.

We get someone new each week, some of them will be not as exciting.

For context, the new gem this week is Leviathan (Batista) vs. Kane from OVW Christmas Chaos 2001.

Week 1: They raised expectations wildly. Week

2: They lowered them considerably. Week 3: They demolished them.

I get that we should never, ever have any expectations for this company but it was nice to have something else to look forward to every week.