Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Hidden Gems

NickH

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never seen the Kane/Batista match before, wasn't exactly excited for it but gave it a watch anyway. Yeah video quality is bad but not unwatchable. (I've seen worst shit then this, tracking lines anyone).

Not a great match, Kane didn't look good at all, maybe he was still exhausted from his great Royal Rumble showing 10 days prior. Some nice cameos at the end but WWE need to do a bit better with their selection next week.

Admittedly I was watching on VHS at the time, but the TV show picture quality was absolutely fine, as were the (outdoor) tapes of the big shows at Six Flags. It might just be they didn't have the budget/equipment/ability to do a decent recording at Louisville Gardens. That whole Christmas Chaos show was released on VHS and even at the time people were commenting on how it was unusually poor quality.

On paper, this is much closer to my ideal for every week (no spoilers for Nick, just generalities): Old 70s segment, 80s-90s star-powered match that we might have already had, 70s-80s gem match that we might not have, couple of 00s developmental/metal matches. 5 segments. Everyone's happy every week and they have plenty to burn through. In this case, that depends a bit on whether or not the "gem" is a pro-shot since what we have (in full) currently is more of a fancam.

Well I just looked at the list. I feel like someone bought me socks for Christmas. I appreciate them but it's not exactly the present I want. That's OK I will still watch them. I do like that they spread out the decades as well as the promotions. It was exactly the same idea I was thinking about too. It gives everybody something. If they did this weekly it would be fantastic.

Good to see Florida & AWA being represented. Not enough of those promotions. Anything from FCW I ignore because I just don't care.

If that means they have a full, non-clipped version of the whole '87 Crockett Cup, that is my new holy grail. First wrestling VHS my parents ever bought me. Still have it in the giant, plastic clamshell packaging! That opening video package to "The Hit" by Richard Myhill still makes me mark out!!

If that means they have a full, non-clipped version of the whole '87 Crockett Cup, that is my new holy grail. First wrestling VHS my parents ever bought me. Still have it in the giant, plastic clamshell packaging! That opening video package to "The Hit" by Richard Myhill still makes me mark out!!

Amen to that! One of my favorite tapes to watch and one of the all time greatest video packages.

My impressions of Kenny Omega vs. Cru Jones:

- Wow, Omega was young. He looked like a dork and his mic work was the drizzling shits.

- With that said, this was a fun little TV match. Omega's ring work looked good, at least, even if his overall "presentation" was severely lacking (dorky look, dumpy tights, etc.).

- Whatever became of Cru Jones? He seems like exactly the kind of guy they would have pushed circa 2006, yet Omega won the match and Cru Jones never made it past developmental (neither did Omega, for that matter).

- For all of the talk of WWE "missing the boat" with Omega, it's easy to see why he would not have been anyone's definition of a "sure thing" in 2006. Like AJ Styles back then, he simply needed more time, seasoning, and experience elsewhere.

Edit: A Google search tells me they stole the name Cru Jones from the movie "Rad." Really, WWE?! :rolleyes: Wow, Developmental truly was a bad joke back then...

- For all of the talk of WWE "missing the boat" with Omega, it's easy to see why he would not have been anyone's definition of a "sure thing" in 2006. Like AJ Styles back then, he simply needed more time, seasoning, and experience elsewhere.

AJ Styles in 2006 was a great worker already. I'd call him legit great as early as 2005 at worst.

AJ Styles in 2006 was a great worker already. I'd call him legit great as early as 2005 at worst.

But he had literally nothing else going for him back then - bad look (fresh-faced fraternity dork), abysmal mic work, etc. For better or worse, he would not have made it in the WWE of 2006.

I'd go earlier. The 2003 Paul London ROH match is a top-level contender for best ROH match ever last I saw it. WWE really missed the boat in not picking him up back then.

But he had literally nothing else going for him back then - bad look (fresh-faced fraternity dork), abysmal mic work, etc. For better or worse, he would not have made it in the WWE of 2006.

You are putting the blame in the wrong place. AJ Styles was more than ready as a professional wrestler, 2006. WWE was worse as a product than AJ Styles was as a wrestler. The aftermath from all of the wrestler deaths, the reboot of DX, HHH being the top star, JBL, Kurt Angle flaming out, etc. AJ was better than all of that.