Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Hidden Gems

NickH

You are putting the blame in the wrong place. AJ Styles was more than ready as a professional wrestler, 2006. WWE was worse as a product than AJ Styles was as a wrestler. The aftermath from all of the wrestler deaths, the reboot of DX, HHH being the top star, JBL, Kurt Angle flaming out, etc. AJ was better than all of that.

Doesn't change the fact that he would've been used like London and Kendrick in 2006.

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This week's gem

American Pride
Two of WWE’s most patriotic Superstars collide when the militant Sgt. Slaughter faces off against Hacksaw Jim Duggan.  WWF Championship Wrestling 01/03/1981

Not a bad gem this week. Didn't recognize Duggan at all, I thought I had the wrong clip, the live stream logo put me off. Takes awhile to get going because Slaughter & a fan are flapping their gums at one another. 6 minute match, nothing fancy. See ya next week.

From WWE.com

In 2016, a group of reels from the WCW library, simply labeled “Omni Live Events” were digitally transferred and logged. During the process, Eric Stefanowicz, Producer and Researcher/Historian for WWE’s Legacy Content team, discovered what many have referred to as the holy grail of wrestling video: The Last Battle of Atlanta. The video was in pristine condition.

Flair/Backlund could be in these reels. Don't know if it was filmed but nobody thought Atlanta existed so there is a chance.

Today's gem:

All Aboard the Lex Express
Join Lex Luger on his cross-country journey to SummerSlam with never-before-seen footage from the USS Intrepid and on the Lex Express!

It's dated as 07/04/1993 and has a runtime of 3 HOURS!

Some highlights from the Intrepid show:

1.  The jockey from Belmont Park at about 5 feet tall trying to slam Yokozuna with a riding crop in his pants.  And then whipping him in the ass

2.  Guys who obviously don't watch wrestling trying to understand the concept of a body slam.  No idea what the first guy was trying and Joe Morris seemed to be trying it backwards.  Although Rick Steiner apparently tried a belly to belly suplex which brought the great line from Savage "we Americans can think" which was debatable at that time. 

3.  George Martin bribing him with $5 although I am not sure how that would work

I wonder how many of these guys were temporary people in case Luger's helicopter showed up too late. I mean some of these guys have no link to New York sports at all like Jim Jensen or the Penguins hockey player.  Although at one time Todd is on the phone or walkie talkie so I assume they were getting updates on Luger's arrival. 

Shows you the power of WWF editing because most of the crowd thought or more importantly hoped that it would be Hogan in the helicopter.  When it was announced as Luger the crowd was kind of lukewarm.   Savage really helped get the crowd on his favor and then once he hit the ring the crowd was 100% behind him

About the Stars and Stripes Challenge, who was the black guy in the purple suit with the earring and what looked like scarification tattoos on his chest and shoulder? Joey Smith? They said he played for the Giants and the Eagles. That was a guy that looked like a wrestler.

And fair play to Bill Fralic doing the best out of the non-wrestlers. He would've made a great bad guy wrestler, as shown by his WrestleMania 2 performance.

Also, if you watch an hour and eighteen minutes in where Lex is doing an appearance at a club, a pre-ECW Francine and her friend get a picture with him.

Watching now, this is absolute greatness. Love the Slam Jam release party, made me wish Lex had a song on it. He comes off like the coolest dude having fun throughout.  Lex using his ICOPRO. Wish they did stuff like this and the whole Intrepid show more. Lots of greatness in the challenge... Early superstar entrance for smiling babyface Scott Steiner rules, Kona Crush being super over. Todd is hilarious as host with the ring introductions. My favorite hidden gem thus far. Lex should've been champ.

Also, this opens with the traditional video to "I'll Be Your Hero" while on SummerSlam 93, the Network has always had it replaced with a different song.

Edited by Alucard

Black Saturday is the new hidden gem. There were rumors that more WCWSN was coming in a future content dump, so maybe that means we'll get the rest of 1985?

I guess the question is would you consider that the end of the Georgia TV or the beginning of Crockett TV in Atlanta?

WWE Network News reported tonight that tomorrow’s upload will be a dark match between Dwayne Johnson and Bodydonna Skip, also known as Chris Candido. The reported synopsis lists a March 11, 1996 date meaning this would be his second ever WWE match, with a dark match against the Brooklyn Brawler the day before at a WWE Superstars taping being his first.

This could be cool.  Is this before he was Flex Kavana in Memphis or after?

Taking full credit for this because when cancelling my sub last week, I noted that I was cancelling because I thought we'd be getting more arena footage hidden gems. You're welcome. (I'm only half kidding).

So if I'm not mistaken this is from the Thanksgiving Tag Team Tournament ($50k) at the Omni in 83.

Teams:

Butch Reed & Pez Whatley
Randy Savage & Magnum T.A.
Jim Neidhart & King Kong Bundy
Tommy Rogers & Joe Lightfoot
Randy Rose & Jimmy Randolph
the Bruise Brothers (Troy Graham and Porkchop Cash, managed by Jimmy Hart)
the Russians (Nikolai Volkoff and Korstia Korchenko)
Ron Garvin & Jim Duggan
Bob Brown & Chick Donovan
the Mad Mongolians (Newt Tattrie & Gene Lewis).

Main event: Tommy Rich & Buzz Sawyer defeated the Road Warriors (there was also Debbie Combs vs Donna Day, Dibiase vs Brett Sawyer, and Jake vs Wrestling II)

I'm not sure Savage/Magnum vs Mad Mongolians would be the match I would pick from that show (it'd either be Reed/Whatley vs Savage/TA or Bruise Brothers vs Garvin/Duggan or Savage/TA) but whatever. 

3 hours ago, Tim Cooke said:

Lanny vs. Bockwinkel sounds very interesting.

It's from PWUSA TV. There's a version on dotdotkins channel with both pre and post match promos too. Looks like what we have here is a slight upgrade of VQ as you'd expect. It does have an all time moonsault "knees-up" sell that feels like it's in slow motion.

• 3 weeks later...

Multiple gems this week.

WWE 07/09/2001 – AJ Styles vs Rick Michaels

See a young AJ Styles compete before WWE audience long before his official debut in this dark match against Rick Michaels.

UPW 04/25/2001 – Dream Killer

Witness a young Samoa Joe take to the ring to defend the UPW Heavyweight Championship against Tommy Dreamer.

FCW 11/20/2011 – Before Reigning on RAW

Long before calling Roman Reigns’ matches on Monday Night RAW, Corey Graves goes one-on-one with Leakee in Florida Championship Wrestling.

WWE 10/09/2003 – A Real International Incident

In this rarely seen contest from Finland, Brock Lesnar defends the coveted WWE Championship against The Undertaker.”