NickH

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, khawk20 said:

Home video pilot? Intriguing. 

Wow. Even if this ends up being match footage that ended up airing on TV elsewhere I am still impressed they dug up something that khawk20 doesn't have info on!

I am hopeful that with this and the AWA Collection YT channel being taken down that this means a formal archive dump is coming to the Network.

4 hours ago, Lee said:

Just watched the AWA show, and it's one of the worst things I've ever seen. 

I loved it. 

It is spectacularly weird. The slo mo replays of body slams, the green screen, the cuts to fans in a bar(!) - it's so low rent and 80s. I want to watch it with friends just to crack jokes about it together.

The guys playing to an empty studio was funny/sad.  We get an added gem of Jerry Lynn teaming with Ricky Rice against Enos and Bloom in a good little match. 

Why is Paul Diamond using a spinning planet as his green screen?

The Foxy Boxy Blond Bomber was yummy. .... yes that''s right, the AWA randomly had a hoard of women in their bra and panties cheering on two models boxing in the middle of a bar. 

44 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

The Team Challenge Series was everything I hoped it would be and more. I mean, say what you want about the Broken Matt stuff in TNA, but that was at least somewhat tongue-in-cheek. This was completely in earnest. Words fail me.

It's like if Tim and Eric decidd to do a wrestling show. 

Fantastic show. The women’s match was great and I need more Mustang Sally in my life. The proto Todd Pettingill schmuck alongside creepy Greg Gagne in a shell suit. Destruction Crew tag was clearly the most entertaining Jerry Lynn match I’ve seen that didn’t involve the 123 Kid. Not only the wrestlers entrances to the stock bar footage but the fact that the footage was speeded up for no reason.

2 hours ago, NotJayTabb said:

He's the brother of Johnny Ace and Road Warrior Animal, so you may see a family resemblance. He was the least successful Laurenitis brother, Marc, though he did work an AJPW tour in 87 as Tom Zenk's partner in the RWTL

I remember that guy!

When I was a kid I saw an article in one of the Apter mags hyping "The Terminator" and acknowledging that he was Animal's brother - but then I never saw him wrestle anywhere after seeing the magazine article.  I remember he was pretty muscular from the pictures with the article, his physique was not unlike Animal's.  He wasn't super ripped and well defined, but you could tell he spent a lot of time in the gym, he was kind of wide and barrel-chested like Animal is.

latest?cb=20090525050212

Years later, I heard Animal's brother was wrestling in WCW as part of a team with Shane Douglas, and I thought to myself "Hey, I wonder if that is that big Terminator guy I saw in the magazine, finally catching on someplace." 

Then I saw Johnny Ace, and I thought "Either that's a different brother - or that dude REALLY let himself go."

EDIT: Just googled him and found this picture...it's sad that there are three brothers and freaking Animal has the best haircut.

4af01274b7f74d553296bcaea27a5422---broth

Marc Laurinitis is just that unremarkable where you could just point at any random mid 80s guy and say it's him and people would be like "eh, I guess so".

Also Sean Waltman mentioned on Twitter that the women in the foxy boxing scenes were recruited from the club he and Jerry Lynn bounced at, and that they did their best to train them for it. 

• 2 weeks later...

MACW Event 07/09/1983 – Battling The Brisco Brothers

Ricky Steamboat and Jay Youngblood look to dethrone The Brisco Brothers in their quest for tag team gold on the road to Starrcade.

MACW Event 07/09/1983 – The Race to Starrcade

Ric Flair looks to reclaim championship gold when he battles World Heavyweight Champion Harley Race on the road to Starrcade.

Looks like some nice holiday treats coming our way tomorrow. Somehow nothing feels more like Thanksgiving than Harley Race defending his NWA title.