Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Hidden Gems

NickH

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if this was some kind of a dry run for the production team in preperation for Starrcade. There's also a Valentine/Piper match from that same show that was uploaded to the Hidden Gems section earlier too. It makes sense they would want to make sure the bugs are worked out before putting on what would be their biggest show ever to that point.

38 minutes ago, shoe said:

I’m guessing WWE has a lot of Houston in their library  because of Mid-South and is why they never made a deal with Tharpe. 

There are a chunk of shows from that period in late 82 into 83 where I don't think we had received that many NWAonDemand matches. 

This is 16 mins, btw, and up now.

Tomorrow

AWA 11/27/1986 – The Crusher and The Colonel (step ladder match)

Ten thousand dollars hangs in the balance for the man who can climb to the top of the ladder when Jerry Blackwell takes on Colonel DeBeers.

ECW 05/16/1998 – The Stairway to Hell

Barbed wire hangs high above the ring as The Dudley Boyz face The Sandman, Tommy Dreamer, and Spike Dudley in a Stairway to Hell match.

On 11/29/2018 at 8:56 AM, shoe said:

I’m guessing WWE has a lot of Houston in their library  because of Mid-South and is why they never made a deal with Tharpe. 

FWIW, WWE is notorious for making lowball offers for tape libraries. I would assume largely due to them mainly dealing with families who just want to make what cash they can with the stuff that was filling up a storage container somewhere. Bruce knew what he had and what it would be worth to WWE, and they just kept dealing with him like he was some old time promoter's mark-ass grandson or whatnot.

There shouldn't have been a scenario where fucking Billy Corgan should have been able to bid more than WWE for anyone's library, but here we are.

15 hours ago, paul sosnowski said:

Tomorrow

AWA 11/27/1986 – The Crusher and The Colonel (step ladder match)

Ten thousand dollars hangs in the balance for the man who can climb to the top of the ladder when Jerry Blackwell takes on Colonel DeBeers.

Perhaps the craziest thing about this match is that Billy Robinson is the referee.  

WHOA!!!!    12 Days of Hidden Gems!!!      https://www.wwe.com/videos/12-days-of-wwe-hidden-gems-exclusively-on-wwe-network

Today ---   WCCW Christmas Star Wars 1981

• Ernie Ladd vs Jose Lothario for the World Class Brass Knuckles Title.
  • El Solitario vs Tim Brooks
  •  Fritz Von Erich vs The Great Kabuki in a “Texas death” match
  • Kerry, Kevin, & David Von Erich vs Frank Dusek, Bill Irwin, & Ten Gu
  • A “two-ring battle royal”

Backstory to that match is the High Flyers are doing Wally Karbo a favor as the team he had lined up for them to wrestle that night cancelled in advance, so he asked them to wrestle the Sheiks in a non title match (Sheiks had just formed a short time previous).

The Chicago version of this angle actually ran a few months later in early 1982.

The same teams battled Christmas night in 1982 as well. This was a looooong feud, and it drew really well.

13 hours ago, paul sosnowski said:

Is this totally unseen footage, Khawk? Or has it been available in the past?

That match is unseen as far as I know. Robinson vs. Bockwinkel from Christmas 1981 has been available for a long time. I'd have to see the card to know what else may already be out there. 

2 hours ago, paul sosnowski said:

Where is this PWUSA footage, Johnny?

Not Johnny, but the preview video at https://www.wwe.com/videos/12-days-of-wwe-hidden-gems-exclusively-on-wwe-network shows matches with Road Warriors vs. Ivan & Kruschev, Tully vs. Magnum, and Flair vs. Dusty. Those matches were all on the 12.29.85 Meadowlands show.  

It also looks like the Midnight Rockers competing in a cage against Somers and Rose, which took place on 12.25.86 in St. Paul, and Rockers vs. OMX from 12.25.87 in St. Paul.  I think I've seen the cage match before, but I'm not sure if the 1987 match is new.