Pro Wrestling Only

MLW Fusion, anyone watching it?

sek69

I decided to watch the last two weeks of MLW to check it out. I enjoyed the Lawlor/Von Erichs vs Contra brawl. Fatu is a good brawler and it's good to see the Von Erich brothers again. The question I have is is Tom Lawlor the top babyface in MLW? If so, why? He's not awful but I remember when I used to go to MLW shows he was a great heel.  They need another babyface. And Aries is not it. That match with Adam Brooks was bad. Aries looks like he's going through a midlife crisis. Lawlor/Josef was ok but not terribly exciting. MLW doesn't feel like a show that you have to watch every week so I'll pick and choose I guess. Especially when they bring in Wagner/Park and Savio. 

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jacob Fatu vs Tom Lawlor was a completely "meh" match. Fatu looks great doing his signature spots, but really, as a match it was "ok", at best. MLW keeps on being the anti-epic. Highlight of the show was Konnan coming back to confront Salina in a segment that was called the Jim Cornette Experience in the most transparent plug-for-a-podcast ever.

On 6/18/2019 at 1:54 PM, C.S. said:

"A fan on Twitter accused Bauer of 'ditching' Callihan to appease Jim Cornette, MLW’s outspoken commentator."  If there's any truth to that, bad move IMO. I'm not a Sami fan, but even I would take him over the embarrassing and irrelevant in 2019 Jim Cornette. At least Sami's recent buzz has been mostly positive, unlike Cornette's. Bauer denies that it has anything to do with Cornette though. Damaging a venue seems like a weird reason. Work?

On 6/18/2019 at 2:05 PM, NintendoLogic said:

Imagine how much of a fuckup you have to be to get bounced from a promotion where Low Ki, Jim Cornette, LA Park, and Teddy Hart all work with no issues. Good riddance to that goof.

On 6/18/2019 at 2:10 PM, SirEdger said:

It's hard to imagine that Sami Callihan actually screwed up BEFORE Teddy Hart did. And I know local promotions who refuse to book Teddy anymore because of his unprofessional attitude.

On 6/18/2019 at 6:07 PM, FMKK said:

If the guy shoot spat on Cornette during a match and he was upset about it, I don't really see how you can turn around and get rid of Jim based on that.

On 6/18/2019 at 6:28 PM, El-P said:

I have no idea where the "damages" came from, I gather it's not from the Mance match, because if it is, then it's really ridiculous. Nothing done in that match looked like it damaged anything in the bleachers. Plus, ol'Mancer was up there bumping on those bleachers too, so why isn't he responsible in some ways ? Third, the Corny stuff is odd. If I didn't know better, I'd call "work" on this one. But I guess I simply over-estimated Corny's brillance on the mic that time, as he was simply always legit shitting on Callihan, which in that case, I understand why Sami would be pissed.

I know this is a few weeks late, but on this week's episode of The Jim Cornette Experience, Cornette finally goes into specific behind the scenes detail about Sami Callihan getting fired from MLW after the "Loser Leaves Town" match.  If you listen to the show and don't want to hear all of the other stuff, you can always click here. Cornette starts talking about this issue at around 54:00 minutes into this week's episode.

Cornette confesses that he actually had met with Callihan after the incident with Eddie Edwards in Impact, and that they had agreed to perpetuate their Twitter rivalry as a "work."  Cornette claims he even gave Callihan his home phone number.  According to Cornette, the night of this Loser Leaves Town match in MLW, he actually thought the whole deal with Callihan spitting on him was part of the work.  He even went up to Callihan after the match and congratulated him. What he didn't know was that Callihan was about to get fired for going off script during his match with Warner.  Cornette claims the match was edited for TV, and we never got to see the damage Callihan did to the venue, which is what actually cost him his job. Also, Callihan himself was supposedly the agent for this match, but he never alerted the truck that he was planning on going into the bleachers, so the cameras couldn't film some of it, and security wasn't warned ahead of time to be there to protect the wrestlers from the fans, or vice versa.

Of course, there's always the possibility that Cornette is lying about his side of the story, but the whole thing is pretty hilarious either way.

8 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

Cornette confesses that he actually had met with Callihan after the incident with Eddie Edwards in Impact, and that they had agreed to perpetuate their Twitter rivalry as a "work."  Cornette claims he even gave Callihan his home phone number.  According to Cornette, the night of this Loser Leaves Town match in MLW, he actually thought the whole deal with Callihan spitting on him was part of the work.  He even went up to Callihan after the match and congratulated him.

Workers be workers.

Yeah. Hard to take him seriously now though whenever he'll find a next victim to vent about... Next thing you know, he'll end up in AEW and put the Bucks and Omega over...

Only in pro-wrestling.

Cornette basically dropped the "I'm not working...or am I?" routine on Monday's Drive-Thru, making the point that he was about the last person in wrestling where you could actually question where the work ends and the shoot begins. So, yeah--workers be workers indeed.

It's not cool when they insist they tell it like it is and say they have no reason to work us.

I mean I get it, they constantly are working to get themselves over,  but it insults my intelligence and is just plain deceitful when they say they are telling the truth.

I get that Corny was non-confrontational at first but just the concept of wanting to work an angle with Callihan and giving him his phone number is carny. It would be equivalent of shooting an angle with Joey Janela on TNT next year.

With Corny going to Impact after spending years bashing TNA and now working at MLW, Bruce going to back to WWE, JR going to AEW, and Eric being hired to for Smackdown, we could clearly see that podcasting is the new job application.

The only question is...WHERE WILL VINCE RUSSO END UP NEXT?

___

Regarding MLW, I am glad I could watch for free. It is better than 2019 ROH. I think Impact is technically better. But there's just something about MLW that prevents me from watching it every week- I skip around. Could be the taping schedule where stars I want to see are not there or how guys come in and out, or how they have so-so local talent and small crowds.  Could be because Corny says AEW is an outlaw mudshow and MLW is great.

I like the concept and some of the workers- mostly the second generation ones, but there's just something off that prevents MLW from living up to its name, Major League Wrestling. It's probably the budget. But creatively, it's feels bare bones. Some cringe backstage skits. The undercard matches are mostly time fillers. The "fusion" label really means lucha and Tom Lawlor on the same card as standard indy workers. 

I sound more negative than I want to be. I guess I just have to be in the mood for MLW. It seems like everyone is trying hard. 

Ultimately, MLW is the poster child for the way the new era kicked off by AEW has dried things up on the indies. Here's who MLW had in just September of last year that's been signed exclusively since then:

• Brody King
  • PCO
  • Taya Valkyrie
  • Pentagon Jr.
  • ACH
  • Joey Janela
  • Rey Fenix
  • John Hennigan
  • Shane Strickland

That talent, per show taping, equals four singles matches on their own, or more than that if you think of them slotting into other spots on the card. But that's at least one match on each episode of TV that goes from "indy geek filler" to having top level talent. Props to them for riding this out and still being fun enough to check out and chat about here. 

On 7/15/2019 at 8:17 PM, Migs said:

"indy geek filler" 

That would be Flying Wolf or Aero Wolf or whatever the fuck his name his. Terrible 5th rate luchador cosplayer with zero basics and zilch charisma and a shitty looking mask. Corny calling this guy's match while trashing AEW's undercard guy is quite the irony.

This show could be 30 mn now. This week's show had the best MLW match in forever (certainly of the year) with Dynasty vs Hart Foundation in a ladder match. Cool spectacle with tons of great spots. Although, the idea that MJF is so afraid of heights that he can barely take one step is beyond ridiculous and silly, so again Corny, whatever you say about shitty comedy spots on AEW shows. Of course MJF is still great, and that led to some work by Aria Blake, which is cool. Richard Holliday is definitely growing on me.

The Salina angle was interesting, especially the part where she watches her guy get attacked on via her smartphone, cool use of current technology. I must say though, the dynamic of a disgusting redneck chasing a 22 years old hot mexican girl to "punish" her is kinda.... rapy ? I mean, the way the angle ended (or did not ended on camera actually) could be very easily seen as quite uncomfortable. I hope the resolution next week is not gonna be as bad taste as the Contra shit with Lawlor...

41 minutes ago, El-P said:

That would be Flying Wolf or Aero Wolf or whatever the fuck his name his. Terrible 5th rate luchador cosplayer with zero basics and zilch charisma and a shitty looking mask. Corny calling this guy's match while trashing AEW's undercard guy is quite the irony.

This show could be 30 mn now. This week's show had the best MLW match in forever (certainly of the year) with Dynasty vs Hart Foundation in a ladder match. Cool spectacle with tons of great spots. Although, the idea that MJF is so afraid of heights that he can barely take one step is beyond ridiculous and silly, so again Corny, whatever you say about shitty comedy spots on AEW shows. Of course MJF is still great, and that led to some work by Aria Blake, which is cool. Richard Holliday is definitely growing on me.

The Salina angle was interesting, especially the part where she watches her guy get attacked on via her smartphone, cool use of current technology. I must say though, the dynamic of a disgusting redneck chasing a 22 years old hot mexican girl to "punish" her is kinda.... rapy ? I mean, the way the angle ended (or did not ended on camera actually) could be very easily seen as quite uncomfortable. I hope the resolution next week is not gonna be as bad taste as the Contra shit with Lawlor...

Yeah, I skipped the opening match. I thought the Ki knockout was fun. 

The ladder match was very solid as a match but tremendous as another in the series of star-making MJF performances. His fear of heights was silly but he played it all so well and controlled the story and pacing of that match in a really impressive way. I know it's not a hot take to say he's going to be a star, but holy shit, this guy is going to be a star.

I'm with you on the end of that angle. Since Mance already had the ticket, it wasn't clear what the point in chasing Salina was, unless it was something pretty unsavory. And this wasn't even like the Contra kidnapping angle or the ICE angle from last year where you could at least say they were pushing the boundaries in a way that was (at least potentially) interesting. I kinda chalk this up to a mistake in the way the angle was shot - once he locks out Park and knocks out Hijo, Mance is in there with Salina, and they have to do something next, so the instinct in wrestling is to chase the manager, but since this isn't a match context it opened up a very different set of reference points. It looked like something out of Law & Order.

I did enjoy having Konnan back as her foil, they have a fun dynamic.

Pretty much in agreement with a lot of what El-P and Migs have said about last week's Fusion. The main event was a ton of fun, that was chaotic in a good way and benefited from looking rough around the edges. I appreciated them just hurling each other into the ladders rather then spending hours setting up intricate IKEA furniture structures to go through. I liked the dynamic of the Hart Foundation being much more element with the ladders and dominating when they were in play, while the Dynasty were having to use strategy to try and gain any sort of advantage and opening. The MJF being scared of heights was cute, but I thought could've got over just as well in a subtler way without it it being quite as campy, but the man is a star and is able to do something not many others are - wrestle in a way that is consistent to his character but without it detracting from the match. It's a rare skill. I enjoyed all the seconds and stable mates getting involved as well. Part of the fun of TLC 2 was the cameo's from Spike Dudley, Rhyno and Lita and this reminded me of that in a way with Aria Blake, Harry Smith and Hammerstone getting involved. I thought Blake was great in there and full marks to her for climbing the ladder and taking the bumps of it in those heels.

The Mance Warner/Salina stuff was mostly entertaining, and as El P points out, I liked the use of the camera phone and facetime for a beatdown - for once wrestling trying to use modern technology - but agree the ending was a bit creepy and felt like something out of the Hills have Eyes with a creepy hillbilly stalking a young girl. On commentary in the final match they did say that she had managed to escape the building so hopefully that allays some of the fears of them doing something uncomfortable, so will cross fingers that next weeks episode doesn't start with her tied up in a basement somewhere... 

On 7/11/2019 at 10:20 PM, PeteF3 said:

Cornette basically dropped the "I'm not working...or am I?" routine on Monday's Drive-Thru, making the point that he was about the last person in wrestling where you could actually question where the work ends and the shoot begins. So, yeah--workers be workers indeed.

No offense intended towards you or anything, but it always astounds me when wrestling fans get upset or outraged over workers... Well, working them.

Manipulation and misdirection are the name of the game. That's the lifeblood and the backbone of the pro wrestling business.

I don't care how popularized podcasts or shoot interviews are, you aren't going to get absolute transparency from workers - nor should fans really be calling out for it.

Yes. Workers gonna work. But that's kind of the point.

Fairly enjoyable episode this week, although with only 2 matches they didn't have to reach too deep into the roster. DBS-Hammerstone was a fun power match despite the weak finish, and Parks-Wagners was entertaining as well (although the announcers freaking about the guardrails felt like overkill).

So it seems MLW is doing the most to grab my interest, as this week was about as good a show MLW can put out.

The vignette with Salina in full bruja mode summoning la Bestia 666 was exactly what I needed.

Hammerstone looked the best he ever did against DBS in a good hoss match. Smith's sister doing the interview backstage was out of nowhere and came off odd, especially since you could see she was trying really hard not to bust out laughing at Dynasty's promo.

The main event was kind of a mess, in the coolest way possible. The ref had no idea how to work with these guys either (for the double pin spot which is classic lucha, Wagner Jr. had to literally stop him from counting the first guy down). That assisted Code Red on the opponent by the Parks was one hell of a cool move. Still in awe of LA Park's explosiveness on those plancha and the DDT bump. They should really get a whole lot more reaction shots from Salina though, here's she ringside with that awesome La Catrina (pun intended) style outfit and you barely shoot her ? That's a miss. Still, if every MLW Fusion episode was like this one, I would look forward to it very much each week.

Another good show from MLW last week, and honestly, they are in a decent little groove at the moment. I think that's helped when it's the tapings from Cicero Stadium, as the Chicago fans are hot and it's a venue that looks good on camera. 

As others have pointed out, the Salina doing Mexican voodoo was great, and jut the right side of ridiculousness in wrestling. What with her vignette a couple of weeks ago with the grave site and she's on quite the roll.

The Hammerstone/DBS match was way better than I thought it would be, with them showing some good fire and chemistry from one another. Bulldog Jnr works a lot better with other power guys than he does with lucha guys, when you compare that in general he's been solid in ring for MLW but was dreadful in the tag match with the Lucha Bros a few months ago. The finish as others have highlighted was weak, but the Hart Foundation/Dynasty feud has been really beneficial to everyone involved. I've often said that MLW feels like an old school territory with modern twists and the rivalry between the two 3 man units with all the different combinations of matches you can do between them feels very World Class. 

Echoing others thoughts, the main event was all over the place, but that's a compliment, as just like the ladder match the week before the fact it was chaotic and messy was just what you wanted. At times it looked like everyone was on different pages, but at others it was crazy fun with lots of big bumps, infused with the charisma of Dr Wagner and LA Park. MLW being able to exploit the links into Mexico through Konnan is very much one of it's USP's at the moment.   

I guess it couldn't last. This week's show had a terrible main event again, which featured Contra vs Von Erichs. Sorry, but none of this works. First, the Von Erich boys aren't very good. And if they don't have the Von Erich name, they basically are two generic guys doing weak brawling and semi-athletic spots. I mean, the LA Dojo Young Lions on the current G1 tours look ten times better than these guys. Second, Contra are still lame as fuck, they look like two jobbers and their work sucks. Speaking of which, it's amazing how Gotch has deteriorated. His kicks made Miz look like KENTA, his body looks like jello, he looks like he couldn't possibly give a fuck. The post-match angle fake chaos with the riot squad was ridiculous. This is lame. And since they are building toward a WarGames match with all these people, it doesn't look good for the upcoming months.

Rest of the show had some fun stuff though, mostly because, well, Salina. Mance Warner vs Bestia 666 was a decent garbage brawl (although again, I don't ever want to hear about Corny bashing AEW for its sideshow gimmicks as long as he's putting over Mance Warner, who's just exactly that), highlighted by Salina using a Louboutin bag to pass on some powder to Bestia. How precious is that ? Also, her little interaction with Low-Ki showed how good of a performer she's became. Match against el Sicario was nothing, but I guess we'll get to see what's in her smartphone now, since Konnan had stolen it (booking is kinda lazy on that one, Salina should just go to the police and get her phone back !). 

Hammerstone dating Georgia Smith is right out of RAW 1996. Oh, Corny....

Is Aries gone already ? Is Savio Vega gonna show up eventually ? This company is a hot mess.

4 minutes ago, Migs said:

Neither was at the Chicago show, but both were at the NY show (which they should start using in the next couple of weeks).

Ok. I wonder if Savio is part of either Konnan's of Salina's upcoming revelations about each others. Like I said before, give us Savio vs LA Park.

While not as strong as the previous weeks, think I enjoyed this show a lot more than you El-P!! Although admit is was a bit lacklustre after I've really liked the past few weeks.

The opener between Mance and Bestia 666 was mindless fun, although nothing we haven't seen 1000 times before. Feel like MLW needs to move away from some of these prop heavy matches - I was much more of a fan of the sort of brawl we got a few weeks back in the Contra vs Lawlor/Von Erich's 6 man, which I really enjoyed. Speaking of which, this week's main was no where near that, but I found it solid enough and I've enjoyed the Von Erich's so far. They are far from polished and fairly basic in what they can do, but I kinda appreciate that and they have an honest, old school babyface charm to them. I think MLW as so far managed to get across a realistic/chaotic vibe in a lot of what they do, but definitely agree that the 'riot squad' was way too campy and over the top. They looked really low rent, and I actually thought took away from what was a good post match brawl. They reminded me of Shane Douglas' security guards from ECW back in the day and was half expecting one of them to reveal themselves as Rick Rude at any point.

I'm still digging what MLW are putting on, although if it's a week where you don't have any of the Hart Foundation/Dynasty/top luchadores in action it does show how thin their roster is.  

I'm excited for War Games. Sorry, War Chamber. But I'm not sure if the mystery partner stuff is a draw for me at all. I kind of like knowing who is participating before hand because, as a fan, it's fun to theory craft how the match will be laid out.

I think if WWE or AEW get Jacob Fatu, MLW as a promotion is going to be in trouble. Their roster is not super strong. Of course, I also feel that way about ROH, NWA & even iMPACT (although iMPACT! has a lot of talent).

This fall is going to be interesting just to see where everyone lands & how the contract shit manages to work itself out with all the companies under AEW in the pecking order. And just reading about the NXT TakeOver Toronto secondary market dying, with tickets being $7, feels like the shine has worn off of NXT as well. 

23 minutes ago, Coffey said:

I'm excited for War Games. Sorry, War Chamber. But I'm not sure if the mystery partner stuff is a draw for me at all.

You know what would be hilarious in a very self-aware über geeky reference ? Savio Vega. Because HE COULD BE the mystery partner !

I think War Chamber has potential, hopefully as the blowoff to this feud, because they seem to be out of story for it.

Enjoyed DBS-Thatcher on this week's episode, that was fun.

26 minutes ago, Coffey said:

This fall is going to be interesting just to see where everyone lands & how the contract shit manages to work itself out with all the companies under AEW in the pecking order. And just reading about the NXT TakeOver Toronto secondary market dying, with tickets being $7, feels like the shine has worn off of NXT as well. 

There's a lot of talent out there, but not a ton of draws. I think all these companies will be fine in terms of putting on a reasonably enjoyable show, but it's going to be a real struggle to get people to pay money for PPVs or even follow week to week. 

2 hours ago, Migs said:

I think War Chamber has potential, hopefully as the blowoff to this feud, because they seem to be out of story for it.

Last year's War Chamber match was mostly considered a failure though (if I remember right, and I don't remember much about it apart from this feeling of it not working). And considering how bad this whole Contra vs Lawlor & Von Erichs has been thus far, I don't have any hopes of it being any better.