Pro Wrestling Only

MLW Fusion, anyone watching it?

sek69

You'll get in trouble online for saying things people say offline but yeah. 

WWE most recently helped Lio Rush for similar issues as ACH and he's absolutely thriving one of the best week to week wrestlers in the industry since his return. Likewise, Alicia Fox with her alcoholism when they had reason to fire her. It came out this week they are aggressively getting Jeff Hardy help again too. Is that that PR and all that jazz of course it is. But it is a preferable outcome. It somehow became the prevailing opinion on Twitter than suddenly rehab was WWE throwing you into a white van and driving it to Titan Tower for mind control or something. I really can't believe how "woke" people ran interference on getting a sick man help when he clearly needed it. When WWE rehab is third party and possibly the best thing the company does.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Lio Rush's case, I'll give him credit for owning up to his actions and he did what he had to do and as a result, he's killing it as the NXT Cruiserweight Champion. He's exactly where he should be and more power to him. I hope that Jeff Hardy can get his act together as well.

EDIT : nervermind. I said everything I had to say about that matter.

About MLW, I wonder what are the plans with MJF. How long him and Jimmy Havoc are signed with them ? It can't be sustainable to appear on both shows for too long.

As far as DBS Jr., I'm sure either IMPACT (aka the Canadian mafia) or AEW would want him. 

1 hour ago, rovert said:

You'll get in trouble online for saying things people say offline but yeah. 

WWE most recently helped Lio Rush for similar issues as ACH and he's absolutely thriving one of the best week to week wrestlers in the industry since his return. Likewise, Alicia Fox with her alcoholism when they had reason to fire her. It came out this week they are aggressively getting Jeff Hardy help again too. Is that that PR and all that jazz of course it is. But it is a preferable outcome. It somehow became the prevailing opinion on Twitter than suddenly rehab was WWE throwing you into a white van and driving it to Titan Tower for mind control or something. I really can't believe how "woke" people ran interference on getting a sick man help when he clearly needed it. When WWE rehab is third party and possibly the best thing the company does.

Mercury said they were still helping him. Vince has a lot of flaws but he seems to take care of guys for a long time after they work for him. I think there are a lot of things Vince has done for people that we will never know about until after he passes away. I'm talking about things like flying Harley Race home so he could spend his last days at home.

Well, that last (hopefully ?) Tampa show was awful. Battle Royal was awful, the big guy from Dynasty who won looked awful (his name sounds like Kurrgan and he was about as good while looking generic to boot), they promised a Warner vs Havoc match they did not delivered, Marshall Vo Erich is the least pissed off guys in the history of pissed off guys. RVD high on weed sounds more agressive than this dude. Contra vs Hart Foundation simply wasn't any good (as usual with Contra). They promised an interview with Salina, and it wasn't on the show. Like, really ? (they also played that ACH vignette. Fail.)

The only watchable thing was a totally "swamp match" between Savio Vega and Leo Brien, basically worked fifteen feets from houses in some suburbs I guess, old road and a fence will do as a swmap. A bunch of cowbell shots and playing around in a parking lot, without much use of the environment at all. Kinda like the tamest Holly vs Snow ending stretch from 1999.

Those next tapings sets better be a whole lot better than those ones, but I have no confidence considering what direction they are going into now.

It's odd they are airing the ACH stuff considering how well this turned out. I guess they got what they paid for. This guy was a real good pro-wrestlers, but whatever. Don't get the appeal of King Mo thus far. Not impressed.

Thatcher vs Holliday was really good and Holliday looked the best he ever did. Thatcher is so much fun to watch. Good stuff.

Salina's comeback was such a letdown. So that's her big comeback on TV ? A aborted interview segment ? I was waiting for a grand return, evil bruja style. That how Catrina would have done it. Glad she's back though.

BTW, MJF, Alicia Atout and now CIMA and the Stronghearts, this company is full of AEW people now. Is Alicia still gonna show up in AEW eventually ?

This Von Erich segment had way too many bare feet on the screen. And it was framed that way intentionally too. I can't stand rich hippies.

Pillman vs TJP was another good little match. So this Opera Cut thingy has been cool thus far and the brackets promises other interesting matches.

Solid episode indeed, apart from the first segment.

• 2 weeks later...

Second week of the Opera cup was more of the same, although no match was nearly as good as Thatcher vs Holliday. Hammerstone vs MJF was a cool old-school match with the usual heel vs heel teammates dynamics. I guess Aria Blake is gone. The suck-ass giant wasn't there either. Low-Ki vs DBS Jr. I strangely couldn't get into. Maybe I was burned out, but it seems they were trying a more Bloodsport like approach without really getting going. Dunno.

The Warner vs Havoc match sucked but it was more of an angle and I guess with Kelly going with havoc and no woman match on either show thus far, it looks like the vaunted woman division is an afterthought. Totally wasting Salina's comeback with a lame bidding on a wrestler angle. The stuff in the streets of NYC ending up in the subway was kinda funny but I really don't look forward any Von Erich match. I enjoy the fact MLW does those outdoor stuff, but apart from the Warner vs Havoc GTA brawl, it doesn't always deliver something notable.

• 4 weeks later...

Pretty good show this week. Drago/Reed, Davey/Gotch & Von Erich/MJF are all decent-to-good. Shame the ref blew the finish in the Drago match though as that 450 was a beaut!

I'm also really digging Alex Hammerstone, or as I call him, Hammerstein. That dude is comedy. That big time yen contract though! "You know that's like ninety dollars in American money?" :lol:

Fatu/Pillman next week. 

There were some issues this week for sure, especially in the audio. Lawlor on commentary was basically muted for like the first half he was out there. And the previously mentioned blown finish in the Middleweight match. But still a decent watch. 

MLF with the prematch promo saying "I'm going to put another Von Erich six-feet-under" legit got me to :o

• 2 weeks later...

Been getting back into MLW the last few weeks, and I gotta tell you as a certified Old Man Fan it gave me chills to see the Von Erichs entering to Stranglehold in Dallas.  It's striking to see Marshall out there looking like someone dropped his dad from 1985-ish right into 2020. 

It's funny to see the perils of taping in advance, with all the Killer Kross hype videos when he's already signed and about to debut in NXT. Gave me "WCW tapes way too far in advance  in the early 90s so hilarity ensues" vibes. 

Also Mance Warner looks (and sounds) like Steve Austin and Mark Briscoe got genetically spliced together. 

On 2/15/2020 at 5:56 PM, sek69 said:

I gotta tell you as a certified Old Man Fan it gave me chills to see the Von Erichs entering to Stranglehold in Dallas.  It's striking to see Marshall out there looking like someone dropped his dad from 1985-ish right into 2020. 

Same here, brother!  My father watches this every week and raves about it. I finally checked out a random episode and the first thing I see is Filthy Tom Lawlor bringing out the real toughest Von Erich, Rip Von Erich the son of Lance! Suffice to say, I am on the Filthy Tom bandwagon.

• 1 month later...

I had fallen off MLW for a while but my extra work at home time has given me a chance to catch up, and I've really enjoyed their last few months. The Dynasty has been gold on vignettes and them feuding with Mance is a really good pairing, the Lawlor heel turn has worked well and the whole show has really been humming along. Just a really fun show that's easy to watch.

Bonus when you're working - if you're not paying super close attention the heat machine isn't nearly as egregious.

Agreed. I've watched the last month and really enjoyed it. The format is exactly what I wish more wrestling shows had, that feel of "this is an outlaw sport" that kinda made me fall in love with the medium as a 10 year old into Street Fighter II and Bloodsport. I wish Bauer was able to retain talent for longer because the company's really hit a groove.