Pro Wrestling Only

MLW Fusion, anyone watching it?

sek69

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/20/2018 at 7:50 PM, hammerva said:

Does anyone know why Joey Janela is being managed by Aria Blake? I mean she is fine but everyone knows that Janela and Penelope Ford are just great together

She's a local. It's cheaper having her manage Janela than fly in Penelope.

13 hours ago, sek69 said:

Their show on July 19th looks solid: 

40 Man Battle Riot Match for a future World Title Shot

Basically this is LU's Aztec Warfare match (Royal Rumble with pinfalls/submissions counting as eliminations). Everyone on the roster seems to be entered plus they are bringing in legends and suprprises, they already have PCO listed as entered.

MLW World Title Match

Shane Strickland vs Sami Callihan

MLW World Tag Title Match

Pentagon Jr/Rey Fenix vs Drago/Aerostar

MLW World Middleweight Title Match

MJF vs Joey Ryan to crown first champion

John Hennigan vs Low Ki

Hart Foundation (Teddy Hart and Davey Boy Smith Jr managed by Brian Pillman II) vs Rich Swann/ACH

Sick card. Much better than the ones they are holding down here in Orlando. I've been to all of their shows, except the first one One Shot and the last show where they crowned the tag champs as I was on vacation out of the country. I've getting tickets for Thursdays show however.

They are heading to Ft. Lauderdale for the next event after the Battle Riot event which is quite a drive, so I won't be attending that.

Thursdays card is:

MLW World Title: Shane Strickland (c) vs. Low Ki
MLW World Tag Team Title: Pentagón Jr. & Rey Fénix (c) vs. ACH & Rich Swann
Jimmy Havoc vs. Tom Lawlor
John Hennigan vs. Teddy Hart
Jake Hager vs. Fred Yehi
Falls Count Anywhere Match: Joey Janela vs. MJF
Jason Cade vs. Jimmy Yuta

Plus I'm sure there will be 2-3 unannounced matches to fill out the card.

I was super stoked when I saw they booked an unannounced Teddy Hart and that they are making him a regular. I'm a huge fan of his as he carries this odd presence around him and the dude is legit nuts. I specially love his feud with Homicide. It's easily the most underrated feud of all-time.

It's sort of a bummer they can't use WWN guys anymore and I'm actually surprised Strickland was able to work EVOLVE being the MLW champ. and that Janela will be back for the Orlando show.

That entire WWN pulling their guys sorta hurt the roster and a lot of the storylines as we never got a culmination in the Priscilla Kelly vs. Santana Garrett feud, Darby Allin just disappeared from the Havoc, Janela, Callihan feud, Riddle disappeared after the title tournament final match, Stokley Hathaway disappeared and we didn't get to see how Black Friday Management was going to develop, etc.

2 hours ago, Migs said:

I'm going to that one. Feels like a big night for them, chance to have a home run show that opens up a new market. The Battle Riot should certainly be fun.

For what it's worth, they will air a 2 hour special of this event on beIN a week or so after it happens.

Teddy Hart, Davey Boy Smith Jr., Low Ki and Homicide are all going to be in the Battle Riot... If only we got some lengthy interactions between those 4... :o

Teddy is awesome. He wrestled Johnny Hennigan first and then Vandal Ortagun from the CWC. He wasn't wreckless and is way over.

Jimmy Havoc got a nasty cut on his arm. They rushed the finish and it seems he was rushed to the hospital.

Strickland dropped the title to Low Ki in a total shocker. Strickland is announced in title defenses for the next 2 shows, but I hope this doesn't mean he's signed with EVOLVE and won't be returning.

Aria Blake turned on Joey Janela. I'm guessing they're bringing Penelope Ford.

Pentagón Jr. and Rey Fénix vs. ACH and Rich Swann was a crazy PWG tornado tag match style match.

Kotto Brazil took a wild swing with Sami Callihan's baseball bat and hit Sawyer Fulton really hard in the back and left a nasty welt.

Fred Yehi is a member of Team Filthy.

The angle was leading toward Ki winning the title at some point, it is kind of a surprise they did it this soon though.  Can't help but think MLW is playing with fire since it seems there's only a finite amount of time before Low Ki pulls another one of his unprofessional shithead moves. 

I think there's a little more trust between Court and Ki, for whatever reason. Maybe it's the Konnan link, maybe it's MVP, maybe it's just that Ki is getting booked strong, but it wouldn't surprise me if this was one of Ki's better runs.

It also wouldn't surprise me if he flipped out when asked to put somebody over and walked.

Given they have Low Ki and are now booking the Hart Foundation, they will fumble it if they don't book a feud between them. That's easily one of the greatest feuds in indy wrestling history that many people haven't seen as it mostly developed in JAPW.

• 2 weeks later...

Will write more about the show after it airs, but Battle Riot live was a lot of fun. Great venue, which was totally packed and energetic all the way through. Not sure what from the taping other than the Riot and the Middleweight title match is airing on Friday (they taped enough that they must be getting other TV eps out of this) but there was a lot of good and nothing bad.

3 hours ago, WingedEagle said:

Has anyone been to the spot they tape at in NY?  Is it easy to park there?  I'd like to go in October depending on what match they announce for LA Park, but would be coming from work and thus the need for parking.  Quite the busy stretch locally between that show, Bound For Glory and Evolution.

It's Astoria, so there's street parking, although it might be a bit tricky to find. There's probably a garage not far away if you're in a pinch.

Strickland/Ki was pretty damn good, and the finish was exactly what it needed to be. I'm looking forward to Ki defending the title and how it plays into his hitman gimmick, and also can't wait for Kotto Brazil to wreck the Death Machines (because only Sami is worthwhile).

Havoc/Lawlor was better than I thought it would be. It had all the bad trappings of modern hardcore, with some contrived spots and weak brawling between, but the intensity kicked into high gear once the blood started flowing. I think that's Jimmy Havoc's greatest strength: he knows that shit needs to get crazier toward the end of the match. The slam onto the sideways chair was sickening.

I'm really looking forward to Battle Riot airing. 

The Battle Riot itself was...eh. I don't think I've seen a battle royal laid out by anybody but Pat Patterson that I've really enjoyed. I dug the macro booking, specifically the Team Filthy/Stud Stable interactions, but there were too many moments of dead space and too many stretches with a full ring.

Somebody needs to tell Tom Lawlor to lay some of those punches in, to really work his ground game. He's a natural when it comes to presence and how to carry himself, as sek said, but he's throwing Shane McMahon levels of bad.

Strickland/Callihan will be a lot of fun. I've started to come around on Fulton as the enforcer type, at least he has a good look, but the "thumbs up, thumbs down" catchphrase is pure shit.

On 7/27/2018 at 4:44 PM, sek69 said:

I think it's been kind of underrated how quickly Tom Lawlor has grasped pro wrestling. He really has only been doing this full time since his UFC suspension and he's already someone carrying themselves like a star. 

If he tightened up his strikes a bit (which I figure is him afraid of hurting people) he would be damn near perfect for a guy with his experience level. Very impressed with him so far.

1 hour ago, Blehschmidt said:

If he tightened up his strikes a bit (which I figure is him afraid of hurting people) he would be damn near perfect for a guy with his experience level. Very impressed with him so far.

I can't see any other reason for his punches (and even his rear naked choke, to be honest) being so weak. I really hope we get Lawlor/LowKi because I don't doubt that Ki would tell him to lay it in a little bit.

It really is a testament to how well the show is booked, though, that Lawlor sees less ring time than Gotch and is usually put in spots where the schmozz around it can hide his shortcomings.

I've never trained for MMA or anything, but I would imagine it's a pretty big shift in how one's brain works to go from "hit this guy as hard as possible" to "make it look like you hit this guy as hard as possible but don't really hit him".