Pro Wrestling Only

MLW Fusion, anyone watching it?

sek69

Finally watching last week's show, it's kind of eerie how much Brian Pillman Jr. looks like his father. Also I figured since Kevin Sullivan was around for the battle royal, they couldn't resist doing a segment together. Sullivan's awkward promo putting him over was worth it for Jr's reply of "My father respected you, and so do I....bookerman!"

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to catch up on Fusion and watched the Jimmy Havoc vs Filthy Tom death match.   I have been a huge fan of Tony as commentary but boy he really went into WCW I stopped giving a shit mode in that match.   Talking about the different cheeses used on a grater and laughing through a bunch of really violent spots.  Meanwhile the other guy screams MAMA MIA while a pizza cutter is being used.   All I can think is that this was the end of their TV tapings.  

50 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I am trying to catch up on Fusion and watched the Jimmy Havoc vs Filthy Tom death match.   I have been a huge fan of Tony as commentary but boy he really went into WCW I stopped giving a shit mode in that match.   Talking about the different cheeses used on a grater and laughing through a bunch of really violent spots.  Meanwhile the other guy screams MAMA MIA while a pizza cutter is being used.   All I can think is that this was the end of their TV tapings.  

I do believe that was close to the main event of a live show that produced 4 or 5 TV episodes. It was also Lawlor's second match of the night, which is sort of crazy.

48 minutes ago, Migs said:

I do believe that was close to the main event of a live show that produced 4 or 5 TV episodes.

It wasn't. They taped 3 matches afterwards and the crowd went silent in shock when Jimmy cut his arm as badly as he did and they rushed the finish.

On 8/30/2018 at 11:04 AM, Edwin said:

It wasn't. They taped 3 matches afterwards and the crowd went silent in shock when Jimmy cut his arm as badly as he did and they rushed the finish.

Semantics, maybe, but it was the 12th match on  a 15 match show. To the comment above, I'd totally believe Tony was a little burnt by that point.

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Edwin said:

That WarGames was pretty rough.

I liked the booking and structure of it, but the action was pretty disjointed and there wasn't a lot that worked between the spots. Still, I liked a lot of the way they flipped normal War Games tropes and tried different things. Better then just running back the traditional match structure that we've seen a dozen times and would pale in comparison to the best versions of it.

Also, love that they're bringing back Spin the Wheel, Make the Deal for the October show.

23 hours ago, Migs said:

I liked the booking and structure of it, but the action was pretty disjointed and there wasn't a lot that worked between the spots. Still, I liked a lot of the way they flipped normal War Games tropes and tried different things. Better then just running back the traditional match structure that we've seen a dozen times and would pale in comparison to the best versions of it.

Also, love that they're bringing back Spin the Wheel, Make the Deal for the October show.

Couldn't agree more. As a match, it was a bit all over the place, and suffered as a lot of multi man matches - particularly those in an enclosed space - can do when you have a lot of guys in all at the same time, but I liked some of the stories they were trying to tell and I also enjoyed that they were able to flip the heels win the coin toss, but still book the match in a way where the faces were at a disadvantage. It wasn't polished in any way, but considering it's a War Games match that's not necessarily a bad thing - it should be rough around the edges.

Since they started making their shows non region specific on Youtube I've watched all the episodes of Fusion and really enjoy it as a weekly show, and MLW as a company. I've seen some criticism about the quality of the matches on a weekly basis, but I don't need 5* classics every week - story line development is more important (as long as when the blow off matches come they hit the standard). I know that ever since Court Bauer presented MLW back in the day he deemed it 'hybrid' wrestling in terms of mixing styles, but to me it's a perfect hybrid of the best bits of modern wrestling, mixed with an old school territorial feel and also a real sports appeal.    

14 minutes ago, TonyPulis'Cap said:

Couldn't agree more. As a match, it was a bit all over the place, and suffered as a lot of multi man matches - particularly those in an enclosed space - can do when you have a lot of guys in all at the same time, but I liked some of the stories they were trying to tell and I also enjoyed that they were able to flip the heels win the coin toss, but still book the match in a way where the faces were at a disadvantage. It wasn't polished in any way, but considering it's a War Games match that's not necessarily a bad thing - it should be rough around the edges.

Since they started making their shows non region specific on Youtube I've watched all the episodes of Fusion and really enjoy it as a weekly show, and MLW as a company. I've seen some criticism about the quality of the matches on a weekly basis, but I don't need 5* classics every week - story line development is more important (as long as when the blow off matches come they hit the standard). I know that ever since Court Bauer presented MLW back in the day he deemed it 'hybrid' wrestling in terms of mixing styles, but to me it's a perfect hybrid of the best bits of modern wrestling, mixed with an old school territorial feel and also a real sports appeal.    

Agreed on the show - I really don't need everyone attempting to have a 5 star classic every week. I think they've done a good job of building some smaller feuds to build the characters, and they're finally getting to the point where people are invested enough in some of the characters to do deeper stories. 

Thought this week's Fusion was just an excellent hour of pro-wrestling TV. I enjoyed the show long brawl between Havoc and Callihan, as I'm a sucker for a show long angle, and it built up to a match between them without giving away too much. You then had a hot opener between two fliers, some good little packages to build other matches for upcoming shows and then a great and vicious main event.

Loved the presentation with the blood, and the beating that Fenix took and a nice finish with the mask being taken off leaving him vulnerable to the stomp off the top given he couldn't see it coming because he was trying to hide his face. I can see why people have issues with Low Ki - if I was a promoter or had tickets to a show that he no showed - but I bloody love him as a performer. He carries an aura of menace and danger that not a lot of guys have these days. In an age where so many matches are a 'your turn/my turn' exchange of movez, I really like his dominating work where he just beats down on his opponent. Fenix continues to be a masterful babyface. 

Watched the War Games match and yeah this was pretty bad.  I mean sure there was lots of blood and violence but the idea of a team losing with a 5 on 4 advantage is inexcusable.  Granted Abyss was so lazy  so maybe it was more 4 on 4 but as far as I know a team with a man advantage should NEVER lose the War Games match.   The "human centipede" spot as one announcer called it for some dumb reason was incredibly stupid.  I mean Kota Brazil (who was the MVP of the whole match) has Jimmy in submission that could win the match.  Abyss takes his sweet ass time while Jimmy is screaming in pain and put a chin lock to basically start the chain.  Even Jimmy Havoc is screaming at Abyss like he is some kind of moron for not getting him out of the submission spot.  

Also while I liked Low Ki work in MLW, can someone explain why in promos he is talking in  that weird voice that he has never used before.   He sounds like he is reading for a role as the villainous snake or tiger in a bad cartoon movie.    I also find it interesting that Low Ki next big feud will be Filthy Tom Lawlor.   Gee remember the last Low Ki was supposed to face someone with a legit MMA career and how that turned out.  At least he has some collateral to work with a negotiating ploy unlike at Janela Spring Break

So I've reached EP6. It slowly kinda progress into a nice little show, although some of the most über indieriffic matches I've really not cared about. Not too sure about the kinda revivalist stuff either as of now (I mean, trying to really go into full 80's mode with the Stud Stable... it's reaching). On the other hand, I've really enjoyed Schiavone on commentary. Salina de la Renta is quickly becoming a favourite of mine, she seems to be an excellent heel manager, which has been such a lost art. Tom Lawlor and Gotch are quite a good act too. 

Although I know it's different in nature and context, it kinda amuses me to think of Lucha Underground as ECW and MLW as SMW...

So apparently they started (or early in the show) Fusion last night with Salina de la Renta calling ICE to detain Pentagon Jr & Fenix.   I forgot to DVR the show and the version on Youtube does not show it so I don't know if they cut it out or what.  Needless to say Court is getting shit for it.   

Well, a few episodes more, and there's way too much thing I don't care for here (some awful indieriffic work, the 80's revivalist stuff does zilch for me). The novelty of Schiavone calling indie matches are worn off (not that he isn't good). And too many guys that I can watch in a more fun context (LU or iMPACT). 

I watched Pillman Jr.'s MLW in-ring debut this week. He's pretty decent, especially for such a youngster. Teddy Hart's promo before the match, on the other hand, was absolutely wretched. He comes across like Bret Hart on sleeping pills, with none of the personality or charisma.

This is my first time checking out MLW. I stopped after the Pillman match though. No desire to really see Teddy Hart vs. domestic abuser Rich Swann. I can't think of a more depressing match - a guy who has never made it and never will at this point (Teddy Hart) vs. a genuinely bad human being who threw it all away (Swann). The commentary also sucks, with both of them seemingly competing to see who can scream the loudest.They also unintentionally semi-buried Pillman Jr. by saying something along the lines of his name can only get him so far. Pretty bad commentary, and stupid. Is that really Schiavone? 

With that said, despite my complaints, I'm actually impressed with MLW based on the one match I did see. It's more polished than most indy presentations I've seen (even ROH).

What's everyone's thoughts on Salina De La Renta? Great name. Great presence. Great idea. However, her acting and promos are subpar. Being the first female Spanish speaking commentator is all well and good, but she is worse than Rene Young. She is still developing, but I feel she needs to find something genuine and lack onto that as her entire act feels forced.

1 hour ago, fakeplastictrees said:

What's everyone's thoughts on Salina De La Renta? Great name. Great presence. Great idea. However, her acting and promos are subpar. Being the first female Spanish speaking commentator is all well and good, but she is worse than Rene Young. She is still developing, but I feel she needs to find something genuine and lack onto that as it all feels forced and made up right now.

Much like a lot of the MLW stuff, I think the idea behind her being the lead heel manager has been a little better in idea than execution. I do like when she goes back and forth with Konnan, though - that seems to be helping her find her footing. Building to Ki vs. Penta seems like a pretty good idea, too.

Are there any standout episodes worth seeking out so far? I'm willing to give this a shot, but reviews seem to be scattered & mixed at best. Don't have the time to backtrack through everything, so I'm looking for a sampler or a solid indication of what they're doing.

Is Low Ki still doing embarrassingly awful, super self-serious promos about glory and honor and triumph and warriors and ronin and samurai and buzzwords because buzzwords? Because I'd be down for that. Guy's basically become the Tommy Wiseau of professional wrestling with his "toddler playing T-rex" shtick.